Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:40:11 19:40

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programs for making your scan faster?  (Read 3410 times)
Civil.Eng88

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 9

« on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:19 23:50 »

Any one know if there is a program that is able to make your scanner scan in less time?
I'm trying to scan a book and it takes about 1-2 minutes per page to scan, a total of about 20-25 pages per hour. I'm trying to scan 1000 pages of 2 books that I need.

I've tried the abbyy finereader program but it takes a while to scan. It is probably just my scanner. I have a  Brother MFC-7840W scanner.

Please let me know if it is just the limitations of my scanner or if there is such a program that is available.

Thanks
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:32:18 00:32 »

Use a digital camera to take photo of the page.
Build a jig with glass in between the camera and the page, so you can get a good flat page photo.
It works the same way as a scanner but much faster.

With proper lighting you would not need flash, thus your scanning speed is depending on how fast you can flip and position the page.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 656
-Receive: 903

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:15:54 02:15 »

It's a limitation of your scanner. If you have access to an iPxx, there's an app that does what Parmin suggested.

If you have a lot of books, and time on your hands, you can build this http://www.diybookscanner.org/

or build a blazing 200ppm scanner like this guy did: http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-03/video-blazing-fast-book-scanner-captures-flipping-pages-high-speed-camera

Or buy a relatively cheap one: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/01/at-ces-ions-booksaver-personal-scanner-converts-your-books-to-digital/1

Another alternative, if daddy has a lot of money, is to buy one of these (drool): http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1908360,00.asp
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:25:07 05:25 »

Condoning libracide?

You probably have a crawl space full of book spines.
Civil.Eng88

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 9

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 06:53:13 06:53 »

Great advice guys. I got a digital camera and took like 60-70 pages worth of pics in like half an hour....the quality might not be good overall but I can adjust through windows photo gallery. I'm just gunna end up having abbyy Finereader scan the book to get the pictures and editable text which will probably clear things up.

On a side note, do you guys think its worth it to scan a book when you want to share books with people or is it not right considering copyright laws?

My intention in the 1st place was just to share the books that I'll be scanning, not to sell and make profits off of them like some do.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:12:17 08:12 »

You're new - a sidenote needs to go in the sidenote section, not in a thread.  The mods here are equivalent to bottles of nitroglycerine, but to give them credit, they keep the place organized and tidy.

If the quality is not good, yet the material becomes desirable, you're subject to an arms race in material quality, where yours will quickly fall by the wayside and you won't ever get a star on the sidewalk because someone else posted readable material - material that doesn't give you a headache on a 14 inch laptop screen.

In other words, do quality scans or don't waste your time, IMO. Nothing worse than squinting at technical illustrations and figures because they are blurry and you can't see the subscript, rendering the whole document useless.

Use Google to answer your question - this isn't the place for it. FWIW, I have not had a whole lot of success with ABBYY.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:21:30 08:21 by solutions » Logged
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:14 00:24 »

@CivEng88

My advise is to scan anyway, but do a honest title/description on the book scan quality.

Use image optimization if you are not doing the OCR part.
It is annoying to spend hours downloading a multi megabyte book and ended up with an amateur scan that do not use image optimization.

Check the pages and page numbering.
A missing page will ruin a great job.

Do your scan, practice and improve your quality.
You got to start somewhere and as you learn, you may help others.

Practice with some cheap dollar store paperbacks before mutilating a $$$ engineering book.

Before you guilotine the book, either carefully remove the cover pages, or bend them out of the way.
With a good PVA glue, you can reconstruct the book.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...