The Godfather talking
You can run, but you can't hide.
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:00:55 09:00

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wifi, nodemcu, lua and another language to learn  (Read 2838 times)
Poty

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 10

« on: April 03, 2021, 12:51:05 00:51 »

Hello.
A few day ago, I happily decided to buy another wifi module, and being heard too much nodemcu and LUA, and being so stupid, I bought one of those, a Nodemcu with LUA ESP8266 programmable. (and because of its price, of course). I havenŽt got it yet (probably near the end of the next week, thank you Easter..  Smiley), but I decided to become serious, and... Surprise!!!! Docs says that I have to learn a script language named LUA, made by some guys from Brazil...
Sincerely, I understand why they created a script language...  but IŽm not ready to spend time in another new script language... IŽm too old and lazy for that (means that if I have to do this IŽll curse the module, the chip, the script language, and my self stupidity, and still cursing, IŽll start to learn LUA).
But, of course, if anyone know the way to modify that firmware to avoid using LUA and only work with pure C functions and libraries, will make me really happy.
The trap was the availability of the direct USB programming through an USB cable and a CH340 chip. And my lazyness in checking info before buy something...
Regards,

You can't have your cake and eat it too... except if you do.
medik

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 4

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 06:05:55 06:05 »

I have used nodeMCU for projects without knowing a syntax in LUA script.

You may want to start off with Arduino and write C code there.

I also recommend ESP32 using ESP-IDF where you write C.
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4176

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 10:34:50 10:34 »

Yes I would go with Arduino lots of how to on youtube & other sites.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
gan_canny

Thank You
-Given: 101
-Receive: 26

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 04:06:52 16:06 »

An upload of compiled C code from say Arduino will overwrite the compiled code that currently executes the LUA script. The ESP already  board has all the hardware you need to upload the code via a com to usb port. LUA is fine as an interpretive language as is Python but many stick to C/C++ for these Esp devices in simple IoT designs.
Checksum8

Thank You
-Given: 122
-Receive: 100

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 06:53:33 18:53 »

I made some wifi projects using Annex Wifi RDS. Is's pretty painless and free with lots of examples.

https://sites.google.com/site/annexwifi/home

A little more complicated

https://www.b4x.com/b4r.html
Poty

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 07:18:50 19:18 »

Hello.
I do appreciate your collaboration. Suggestions are fine, and IŽll try those. But there is a trick in the middle, and it is that the LUA interpreter is loaded in the memory of the ESP8266... and using programming space. Besides that, there is another issue.... I want to use MPLAB interface to program this board too... Seems that IŽm asking for too much... Anyways, IŽll try  at first time whith what you pointed out, and keep looking for the alternative to MPLAB X. I found something, and posted it in here: http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=69177.msg200476#msg200476
A USB->serial loader named AVRDude. Did you heard about it?
Regards,
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:43:23 19:43 by Poty » Logged

Poty

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:16:05 13:16 »

Good morning. Seems that I find a solution. All in espressif site. Jut to be patient. They have a complete environment to program ESP8266 in C, with examples, and so. I`m installing it, I canŽt say that it works yet, but seems nice. IŽll post more later. Wish me good luck...
Regards.

FTL

Thank You
-Given: 170
-Receive: 33

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 06:45:43 18:45 »

If I were you, I would seriously consider looking at PlatformIO - platformio.org

It incorporates the Espressif environment, along with many others, so if you spend time getting familiar with it, you will be able to use it with many hardware and software platforms. Probably even LUA!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...