The Godfather talking
You think I am funny guy huh?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:21:02 09:21

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Author Topic: Renesas Dev Boards **FREE**  (Read 10694 times)
GunMage

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 35

« on: August 01, 2012, 03:16:50 15:16 »

Renesas is giving away some their Dev boards and IDE for free. As they have dropped market share in the last year it looks as though they want it back.... That being said here are the links to request hardware. Seperate request must be made for each board and be sure to fill in the project information if you want the request apporved. It was pretty easy. I just used the excuse I wanted to investigate another platform as I was already using PIC and Atmel...

The RL78 board they shipped without needing approval:
http://am.renesas.com/products/tools/introductory_evaluation_tools/renesas_demo_kits/yrpbrl78g13/index.jsp?campaign=top_rpbrl78G13

The RX62N board they approved in a couple of days:
http://am.renesas.com/products/tools/introductory_evaluation_tools/renesas_demo_kits/yrdkrx62n/index.jsp?campaign=top_rdkrx62n

Just thought I'd share the information

Brosske

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 292

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:26:50 15:26 »

Hi,

Sad This is only for people living in US, Canada, Brazil, Japan and Mexico

greetz

Do or do not - there is no try
kayvee

Thank You
-Given: 98
-Receive: 101

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:36:02 15:36 »

Not necessarily only in those countries.  

I was given a RL78 board some time back by the local distributor here, without asking (edit : and I am not in one of those countries).  If you have potential to use it and design in the Renesas part then sure you will get for free.  

Same holds true for most manufacturers and their distributors in most countries, if you have a relationship with the distributor and they know you have the potential to design in their parts, dishing out free tools just helps them make the $core  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:07:16 07:07 by kayvee » Logged
metal
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 862
-Receive: 678

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:40:55 15:40 »

How come when country is not listed, this is what he meant....
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:37:32 16:37 »

Hi,

Sad This is only for people living in US, Canada, Brazil, Japan and Mexico

greetz

Sorry... I was just passing along the information. Perhaps if you go to the Renesas website more focused to your country they may have a similar promotion. "am.renesas.com" is their americas site.

glitch_inc

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 8

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:51:05 21:51 »

Just wanted to share that I placed my order in yesterday for the free board and had it today. They mailed it overnight air.
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 03:52:34 15:52 »

Just wanted to share that I placed my order in yesterday for the free board and had it today. They mailed it overnight air.

Yeah, They have no issue shipping the RL78 board. Basically place the order and get a shippment notification the same day. The RX62N was a little harder to come by and yes they send everything overnight.
glitch_inc

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 09:58:36 21:58 »

Somehow i doubt I'm going to get that one. Basicly was honest and said i was a hobbiest... as if they are going to give me $100 board but had to try. No news yet if they are going to ship or not
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:43 22:08 »

Somehow i doubt I'm going to get that one. Basicly was honest and said i was a hobbiest... as if they are going to give me $100 board but had to try. No news yet if they are going to ship or not

Surprisingly they have been fairly lenient when it comes to their giving of dev kits. I had read an article about MCU/MPU manufactures and it had stated that Renesas had lost like 16% market share from 2011. It is my guess that they are attempting to get it back. I know for a fact that they shipped one of their RX62N boards to one of my summer interns and all he stated was thet he was interested in learning about microprocessors. I have no idea what criteria they are using to determine if some one gets one but I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility.

CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 02:55:04 02:55 »

Thanks for the heads up, my RL78 was shipped a few hours after I requested it, we will see if they ship the RX62N as that is really what I would love to play with with it even though I love my PIC chips...  I have a legit electronic company so we will see how much they scrutinize the application, hopefully not much as I have never had any issues before, but than again I was not requesting a $100 development board that is likely making the Internet rounds...
glitch_inc

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 02:30:00 14:30 »

Well its been 8 days and my request is still pending for the more expensive board. Keep us up to date I am curious to see if your application gets processed faster
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 03:22:03 15:22 »

Well its been 8 days and my request is still pending for the more expensive board. Keep us up to date I am curious to see if your application gets processed faster

It took approximately 4 day to get the RX62N approved the first time. One of my coworkers requested on and his request is still pending as well. His has been like a week+ as well. I will let you guys know how that one progresses as well.
glitch_inc

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:40:52 19:40 »

Just checked on my status... I was declined... oh well
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 10:04:02 22:04 »

I'm still pending on the bigger board, for what that is worth...

I'm pretty impressed with the demo program they had on the RL78, it's certainly not anything over the top but it gives you a quick idea of how clean of a computer interface could be built...

I was also quite impressed at how fast the internal thermometer reacted, a simple touch on the chip with the finger and it was nearly instantly reflected on the computer interface...  I know nothing fancy but it was cool to see just the same...
thetrueman

Thank You
-Given: 24
-Receive: 2

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:48 22:06 »

I've to registered to site and when on free sample page of small board I agree with their terms and then on next page there is login. I put user ID and password but it gives error and even says on another page "you are not registered". but on main site I can login. What the problem.... Angry
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 10:40:33 22:40 »

Their redirect to the sample fulfillment centers website after you agree on their website proper, is not a 'kosher' redirect and if you have your security setting too high in your browser it will kill the connection as it flags it as a 'redirect forgery'...

So lower you security settings on the browser or use another browser that is more tolerant and doesn't complain as easily... Wink
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 04:17:32 04:17 »

Got declined today, the first ever chip manufacture to decline my company a sample, not even a phone call to follow up...  So no need for me to explore their offerings any further if they won't support me from the get go, I can't in good faith support them in further projects...

Instead I'll stick with my PICs from Microchip...
glitch_inc

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 04:46:21 04:46 »

If I didnt know any better I would say they were swamped with free requests and just declined everyone
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 03:12:45 15:12 »

My coworker just checked as well and he was declined too. Interesting as I had gotten approved in like 4 days. He even supplied very similar information as I had done with different projects. At the very least the RL78 is easy to get and may help some people who cant afford any other dev boards and aren't really in a postion to get sampled dev kits.

I am also in concurrence with CocaCola - If I can not get the Dev kits into the hands of people developing then there is no way we are going to change architecture. One dev kit for a design group is not going to work. I just assume stick with the stuff we have the tools for.
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 06:20:05 18:20 »

I am also in concurrence with CocaCola - If I can not get the Dev kits into the hands of people developing then there is no way we are going to change architecture. One dev kit for a design group is not going to work. I just assume stick with the stuff we have the tools for.

In addition to that the real point of contention for me is the fact that they didn't bother to followup with a phone call or even courtesy email explaining the reason for denial, and I find this very unprofessional...  Especially when they were the ones offering (and continue to offer) the sampling, it's not like I was badgering them to send me a sample of their product for the heck of it, they were the ones that advertised and offered it up...  It's no wonder they are losing market share, they clearly don't want to play with the big boys on the same field...

I have a never ending stream of sales reps from other companies calling and emailing me constantly trying to push their products and tell me about their new stuff and asking me if I would like to sample some of the new offerings...  These are the companies I choose to work with as they clearly 'want' my business and will support me in the future...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:22:17 18:22 by CocaCola » Logged
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 02:53:30 14:53 »

In addition to that the real point of contention for me is the fact that they didn't bother to followup with a phone call or even courtesy email explaining the reason for denial, and I find this very unprofessional...  Especially when they were the ones offering (and continue to offer) the sampling, it's not like I was badgering them to send me a sample of their product for the heck of it, they were the ones that advertised and offered it up...  It's no wonder they are losing market share, they clearly don't want to play with the big boys on the same field...

I have a never ending stream of sales reps from other companies calling and emailing me constantly trying to push their products and tell me about their new stuff and asking me if I would like to sample some of the new offerings...  These are the companies I choose to work with as they clearly 'want' my business and will support me in the future...

I concur. I find it odd that they didn't even send an email stated the request was declined. I tried another request using my consulting company to see what happens again. Changed some details and used a new design project I have going to see if they would let one go. Honestly at this point I am kind of over Renesas. If I actually get approved I will probably just offer it to someone. Or trade it for something... Now it is just a matter of seing how they are making their decisions about who deserves to get the dev board. It amuses me.
Funny how I am amused by dumb stuff like filling out a web form and making someone evaluate it.
metal
Global Moderator

Thank You

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 03:12:03 15:12 »

Is their some sort of agreement? In case you got the boards, you might not be allowed to ship them outside the US or Canada, am I wrong?
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 03:21:28 15:21 »

Is their some sort of agreement? In case you got the boards, you might not be allowed to ship them outside the US or Canada, am I wrong?

No...  You are correct. If I give away or trade it will be within the agreement. Probably some one local or to a dev group here. I do not know... Where it get's me is that it also states that they would make an effort to inform those that were declined but of the numerous people I have seen be declined not a single one was notified. They kind of broke their own agreement.

Here is there basic agreement:

To participate in this promotion, your company must be located in United States, Canada or Mexico. Registration through this promotion allows you to request qualification for one Renesas Demo Kit for RX62N. Renesas Electronics America, Inc. at its sole discretion and based on the information submitted with each registration and follow-up interactions, will determine which registrants qualify to receive this product. We will make reasonable efforts to notify those registrants who are not selected to receive the product.

This promotion is only available to customers in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

All the applicants of this promotion program are required to comply with Part 740.6 of the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR).

metal
Global Moderator

Thank You

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 03:41:40 15:41 »

Read "Export Administration Regulations 740 items 6", I don't think the boards are worth all the hassle, my friend. Don't let tiny matters get into you, in the first place. Also, if PIC or AVR are not satisfying your needs, move to ARM. Start with LPC, for example.

GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 05:25:20 17:25 »

Read "Export Administration Regulations 740 items 6", I don't think the boards are worth all the hassle, my friend. Don't let tiny matters get into you, in the first place. Also, if PIC or AVR are not satisfying your needs, move to ARM. Start with LPC, for example.

I am not sweating it and I do appreciate you keeping it in perspective. I find it intersting how they are going about. Call me strange. Again IF (and that is a big IF) I get one, I will figure out what to do when I actually have hands on it. Like I had mentioned I am kind of over it with the exception of my odd facination on their selection process and why no contact to those who are denied by THEIR agrement.

As for the export laws
In compliance with Part 740.6 of the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR), I hereby certify that, without a U.S. Bureau of Export Administration License or License Exception, I will not:
 A) Re-export or release U.S. controlled technology or controlled software or the source code for the software to a national of Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain Belarus, Burma, Cambodia, China (PRC), Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, India, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea (North), Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macau, Moldova, Mongolia, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and Yemen, or in any other country not already mentioned above that may appear in Country Groups D:1 or E:2 to Supplement No. 1 to Part 740 in the EAR;
B) Export to any of the countries noted above in paragraph (A) the direct product of U.S. technology, software, if such foreign produced direct product is subject to national security controls as identified on the Commerce Control List (CCL) in Part 774 of the EAR; or
C) If the direct product of the technology, is a complete plant or any major component of a plant, export to any of the countries noted in paragraph (A) the direct product of the plant or major component, if such foreign produced direct product is subject to national security controls as identified in the CCL or is subject to U.S. State Department controls under the U.S. Munitions List.

The products/software/technologies to be supplied by, (collectively hereinafter called, "PRODUCTS") are intended to be used for the following purpose, and we hereby certify that they will not be applied in the design, development, production, stockpiling or use of weapons of mass destruction, such as nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, nor missiles to deliver any such weapons, nor for any use supporting these weapons activities.

We further certify that these products/software/technologies shall not directly or indirectly, export, re-export, transship, sold, disposed or otherwise transfer the PRODUCTS to any party in violation of any applicable export control laws and regulations promulgated and administered by the governments of the countries asserting jurisdiction over the parties or transactions.

Doesn't say anything about passing along to a collegue as long as they are within the guidelines above  Grin

Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...