The Godfather talking
You may crack software. How about me?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:05:16 00:05

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Suggestions for converting a 8 Digit LED Display to 16 Char LCD  (Read 2886 times)
Alienbeing

Thank You
-Given: 68
-Receive: 45

« on: December 27, 2007, 03:59:40 03:59 »

I have a Frequency counter which uses a Intersil ICL7216D common cathode output for LEDS/with decimal point. I would like to know if there is an easy way to convert the LED display to LCD either strictly by hardware (an IC that can do the converstion ) or by a PIC and a program. I would rather prefer a conversion by some circuit then have to do it by programming a PIC. I would llike to keep the decimal point it possible as it changes as the range on ICL7216 is changed. This is an old Frequency counter which I built many years ago from Ramsey Electronics as a KIT. They don't sell it any more as the ICL7216 is no longer manufactured. Thought it would be to upgrade it and tie it into the case of my 10Mhz frequency standard that would provide an external clock for the freq. counter.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alienbeing
microkid

Thank You
-Given: 45
-Receive: 23

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 06:42:14 06:42 »

I think there is no such ic available.

You have to make it using a microcontroller.

while using an microcontroller using icl 7216 can be avoided and the same can be done with the micro itself.

Think before decide.

MicroKid

Never Never Never giveup
Alienbeing

Thank You
-Given: 68
-Receive: 45

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 03:28:10 15:28 »

I know I could build a frequency counter with a PIC as I seen several examples on this forum and elsewhere but they don't seem to have the resolution of this counter I think. The one I have can display down to .1 hz. I will have to look into using a PIC to convert the digit and segments outputs into proper output for LCD readout. Really wish someone made an improved version of the ICL7216. Intersil made some really useful chips a long time ago.

Alienbeing
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...