Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:08:41 18:08

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Modify Green Laser  (Read 3508 times)
localcrack
 Muted

Thank You
-Given: 64
-Receive: 21

« on: December 24, 2007, 09:48:11 21:48 »

Here is a link to modify the green laser pointer to get more power from it. It can able to burn hole into the plastic cup.

http://m1.cdn.spikedhumor.com/1/119858_laser_flashlight_hack_1.avi
http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Flashlight-Hack!!
OscarH

Thank You
-Given: 149
-Receive: 13

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 09:53:57 21:53 »

Care you eyes !! Better say it in advance, before you cannot read this forum anymore...
I always consider lasers similar as gun, so always handling them with high endless care, especially when power is there.
Cheers.

All mushrooms are edible. At least once...
FriskyFerret

Thank You
-Given: 513
-Receive: 360

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:29:58 20:29 »

Agree, at those power levels and wavelengths, a few millisecond bounce off a reflective or semi-reflective surface into your eye and your retina is toast.

Putting a high-milliwatt green laser in the hands of a young experimenter is like giving a monkey a loaded pistol; he's going to hurt himself or others for sure.

"Due to the very small spotsize on the retina, a 40 mW HeNe laser can produce an irradiance on the retina of about 10 kW cm-2. Such an irradiance causes almost immediate thermal damage of the retina by denaturation of proteins, comparable to boiling of egg-white. Short-pulsed lasers with their high peak powers can cause optical breakdown and mechanical damage of the retinal tissues due to shock waves, which also often result in haemorrhage, i.e. a hole in the retina and bleeding. Injury statistics identify short pulsed lasers, particularly q-switched Nd:YAG lasers, as the type of lasers which caused the most frequent and most serious eye injuries [Rockwell 1999]. Even minimal retinal lesions may result permanent serious vision loss, especially if the damage is located in the centre of the retina. A fundus photograph with several types of retinal injuries in a rhesus monkey eye is shown in figure 2."

Figure 2: A range of injuries induced with a Nd:YAG laser on a monkey retina. The white spots in the centre are thermal burns, i.e. coagulation of retinal layers. With larger energies, holes in the retina are produced which result either in bleeding into the vitreous (the gel-like substance which fills the centre of the eye ball), or the bleeding is contained in the layers of the retina, which results in functional loss in the affected area.

Dancing pants and leotards, that's what I'm talkin' about!
bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:33:04 21:33 »

Great job of pointing out the dangers of playing with laser's FriskyFerret.A picture is worth a thousand word's providing you can see Roll Eyes
Hopefully anybody trying this will be careful and treat it like the loaded gun it is

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
ktracho_25
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:35:21 13:35 »

unfortunately this can also produce damages wing person, use it carefully
margo

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 33

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:34 21:48 »

ok..im well impressed with a burning laser...but the pics of the eye damage makes the risk/reward ratio too high
..even worse I got a old dvd burner just sitting here.....wot to do???
tuvoj

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 7

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:12:44 08:12 »

One should ALWAYS use eye protection--there are many affordable glasses available for different wavelength families available on the internet....

Cheers-Tuvo
FriskyFerret

Thank You

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:45:25 20:45 »

I don't think so. Provide a link to a pair of protective glasses that will attenuate a 300 mW green laser pointer to a safe level for under $50 US.

tuvoj

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 08:47:10 08:47 »

Just because YOU consider $50 to be the benchmark doesn't mean anyone else does...and who says 300mw is the lower limit you need protection for???

I consider ANY price under the cost of a visit to the opthomologist to try and repair a burned retina--CHEAP ENUF!

There are MANY goggles&glasses on the internet with > 50% attenuation for 70-90$ (and up)

Cheers-Tuvo
FriskyFerret

Thank You

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:39:51 16:39 »

I'm just calling you out to provide a link to back up what you claim. How is that wrong or out-of-line?

tuvoj

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 08:13:57 20:13 »

I didn't take offense to your challenge--just the way you stated it. I never made ANY price claim--I said AFFORDABLE.

I NEVER claim something I can't back up--part of my training as an EE...but since you picked $50...

http://www.dragonlasers.com/catalog/Laser-Safety-Glasses-p-16184.html

Complete protection from green and blue light (200-540nm) with output of up to 2000mW. OD>3 for 200-500nm, OD>2.5 for 500-540nm

Feartures:
Comfortable style frame.
Large frame, can be worn over other glasses.
Allows a wide field of view.
The laser beam dot is clearly visible.
High visible light transmission, objects do not appear dark.
Crush and break proof material, very durable.

Details

SKU    LSG01
Price:    US$49.99 (Euro 31.74)
----------------------------------------------------------

Cheers-Tuvo

FriskyFerret

Thank You

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 01:44:37 13:44 »

Optical Density > 2.5 for 500-540nm range means a 320 times reduction of beam power of a 532 nm green laser. These goggles would attenuate a 300 mW beam direct beam strike to about 1 mW. This is an acceptable power, IMO, for a brief exposure lasting a fraction of a second. Yes, these goggles are affordable compared to the cost of a 300 mW green laser pointer and are an effective safety precaution. Good post, tuvoj.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...