Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:53:12 22:53

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Req.: Schematics for chemical meters  (Read 3140 times)
maiasj

Thank You
-Given: 225
-Receive: 12

« on: November 25, 2007, 09:49:15 21:49 »

Hi all,
I'm needing to build pH, Eh and condutivity meters for a laboratory in my town. Searching the net I found various projects but I need some more professional. Does anyone have schematics of comercial meters for me to use as a base to build my owms?
Thank you for any help.
kcwcc

Thank You
-Given: 37
-Receive: 3

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:03:03 21:03 »

The meter circuitry is usually quite trivial since most of the sensors output mv/xx signals...you need only set span and range...I would bet the schematics you have found would be suitable...but, reallistically, I bought a fully compensated, 2 point calibratable ph/Temp probe for $30 that is stable and accurate to 0.1pH and 0.1C...it's pretty tough to beat that price...a pH probe with a BNC will cost you $20....is there something special you need to do with these?
maiasj

Thank You
-Given: 225
-Receive: 12

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 12:48:50 00:48 »

Thank you for your post. I already did some simple meters and it works good. Now I'm thinking to make something better. The problem is that I live in Brazil. The pH probe here costs about $70. A good pH meter, $400. So I think is worth to make my own. 

omni

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 176

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 01:10:28 01:10 »

Perhaps it might look easier to make your own, but if you are going to use it to ensure quality of substances that are consumable by people (food grade) then I would definitely rely on a commercial product for that kind of work.

At least you should have a laboratory level equipment as a second measurement to check against when building and calibrating your own...

Just my 2c. Smiley
kcwcc

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30:13 16:30 »

Calibration is a good point...calibration solutions for pH and TDS require distilled water and a very accurate scale..a single point temperature calibration can be performed with an ice slurry (distilled water please) in an insulated container that is stirred constantly.
rinderpest

Thank You
-Given: 23
-Receive: 11

All machines are amplifiers

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 12:14:32 12:14 »

As kcwcc said the meter side is fairly trivial, you just need some opamps to condition the signal and a simple meter to display it, either an analogue voltmeter or an LED one - try a 7107 from Microchip.
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/test/014/index.html
That one above is very easy to make, the main 7107 chip is free on Microchip sample program.
Its the sensors that are going to be tricky, the pH one anyway.
http://www.66pacific.com/ph/simplest_ph.aspx
Here is a simple one, you just need the probe. They use a conductor in a glass rod, not so easy to make.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_electrode

EC tho is easier. You are basicly measuring the resistance of the solution, but you must use AC or otherwise you will get electroplating or electrolysis caused by passing DC through a conductive solution.
If you set up opamps to compare the amptitude of the AC signal before going through the solution and afterwards the difference should be the EC. You will need a solution of known EC to calibrate it against.
Easiest way is find a friend on the net or elsewhere, get him to add say 1 gram of salt to one liter of distilled water and measure. Then add another gram, measure. Then another etc. Then you have a calibration curve to work against.
Good luck.

Experimentum solum certificat in talibus. 
     Experiment is the only safe guide
kcwcc

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 03:14:07 15:14 »

FWIW:
I have bought decent pH probes from these guys:
http://www.aqua-digital.com
they're an aquarist supplier but they sell probes and calibration solutions...fast shipping, good packaging and good prices.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...