The Godfather talking
You may crack software. How about me?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:08:22 11:08

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Notes on zuisti's latest LCD Clock  (Read 3396 times)
zuisti

Thank You
-Given: 242
-Receive: 780

« on: January 11, 2022, 10:18:24 22:18 »

I opened this new topic to discuss the project here, so first look at the original post (click on the quote):

Further development of my last project ...
It's better to study the quoted post's (#48) predecessors also (post #34,35,36,43,47 on the same topic), to get more detailed info.

The project’s well-functioning Proteus simulation (the DSN and HEX are in the attached RAR file) has been downloaded by 37 so far, 13 members have thanked for the post (thanks :-), and four have requested the entire project with all sources.
That is, 37 members can test the operation of the Clock in Proteus.

Note: the very short (10 msec) tick signals work perfectly in the reality
    (both for LED and Buzz), but this short LED signal does not visible in
    Proteus while the Buzz signal works well. Maybe a Proteus setting ??
In the meantime, I realized that this error is really caused by a "bad" Proteus setting. The repairing is simple: the type of the LED model should be "digital" instead of the default "analog". Right click on the LED then change the model type. Re-run the simulation: now the short (10ms) LED tick is also visible.

I built the circuit in four copies, all working perfectly. I used two types of cheap Chinese RTC modules (these were at home), 3 pieces using DS3231M (ZS-042 panel) and one using DS3231SN (Chronodot panel). After proper (experimented) setting of the RTC align (.1ppm), at room temperature the error is less than 3 sec/month for all four RTCs.

As I wrote, I can't answer questions about the program, the full version available here is an unsupported "as-is" software that allows both modification and recompilation.
But I am happy to answer questions about the operation and handling of the Proteus simulation here.
And .. I look forward to your opinions and advice.

Regards:
zuisti
zuisti

Thank You

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 11:14:54 23:14 »

Q:
why are you using DS3232 in Proteus (instead of DS3231)?
A:
Because Proteus does not offer a model specifically for the DS3231, only the DS3232 can be used. But the two types are equivalent (see data sheets) until we use the user ram space of the DS3232 ( as in our case).

Look at the original post:
http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=52263.msg202165#msg202165

zuisti
zuisti

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 06:49:49 18:49 »

Q:
I assembled the project, with the file "WaCe4_simul.hex", but not working (continuously beeps). Why?
A:
Yes, the above hex file is working only in Proteus:
The simulation's code contains a simple protection: the RTC's temperature must be negative. This is possibble only in Proteus (see the DSN), and in the simulation the value is displayed as positive. If - as in the reality - the RTC's temperature is positive, the above hex file does not working, only beeps.

The pw-protected "WaCe4_src.zip" contains the hex file for building too, named as "WaCe4_build.hex"

Look at the original project and attachments:

zuisti
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:55:11 18:55 by zuisti » Logged
zuisti

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 04:51:53 16:51 »

Q:
All the settings will be displayed by holding down the SET button while turning on the clock.
I tried it, works as well, but how can we see this later, i.e. while running?
A:
While the normal large clock is displayed, turn on the setting editor ("Adjust durations") with a long DEC pressing, then (even without making any changes) exit the editor by pressing and holding the SET. Until the SET button is released, all the settings will be displayed in the same way as when turned on (and then the normal clock will return).

Q:
Many settings can only be accessed by using two buttons at the same time. E.g:
   long DEC + INC    =    toggle  (on-off)  the flag  "suppress leading zero"
It works in reality (we have two fingers :-), but what about Proteus? Need two mouses (cursors)?
A:
Of course not. Each of these 2-button settings works by pressing the second button while holding down the first button. Proteus helps with this (too): the holding down the first button can be simulated by the "toggle" mode of the button's model:  just click on the little red circle next to the button to switch. We can then operate the second button as needed. Finally, don’t forget to release both buttons for the change to take effect.

zuisti
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:39:23 22:39 by zuisti » Logged
zuisti

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 01:03:17 01:03 »

Q:
I think the 16-second timeout feature in the editors is unnecessary or too short ("hurry", otherwise you'll quit). I know the feature can be turned off, but a 32-second timeout would be more convenient if we already want to use it.

A:
The timeout feature of the editors (if enabled) prevents an editor from accidentally blocking normal operation for a long time (until you exit the editor). This is especially true for the "alarm editor", which is called up with a simple short SET press.
Opinions are divided on the time limit, with many considering 16 seconds to be enough, but some find it too short.
What do you think?

zuisti
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...