The Godfather talking
You may crack software. How about me?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:19:07 05:19

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BOM Tool  (Read 7782 times)
karri

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 3

« on: November 05, 2021, 07:37:21 07:37 »

Hi, do you use some BOM tool?
Now, I am using Excell sheets.
One for part database (there is columns like: key, destription, manufacturer, mfg part number, distributor, distributir part number, link to distributor etd...)
One for each assembly / BOM (electrical / mechanical). There in not so much collumns.
Problem is, that this method is very laboring. You have to copy lines from database sheet to BOM sheet.
I am looking for some web / desktop tool. But most of them are linked to specific CAD / EDA product or distributor and there in no possibility.
There is exception: openbom, but this product is not sufficient in free plan and paid plans are expensive for DIY projects.
Have you any experiences with some of BOM tools?
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2000

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 01:53:03 01:53 »

Your example shows that it is electronic component BOM.

Why is your ECAD tool not sufficient and you seek something else?

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
karri

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 3

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 08:42:51 20:42 »

I use Altium Designer. At library structure, which I have, it is not possible. Because, I have general resistor, general capacitor, etc in library. So I would had to make different library part for each specific part and its value. But this would lead to huge libraies. The seccond way is to write details for each part in schematic. A lot of work...
cesare

Thank You
-Given: 8
-Receive: 25

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 04:18:04 04:18 »

Hi All,

I think that also with Altium, like other CAD systems, it is possible to link a library symbol with a part dababase. I mean that a single library symbol, a resistance for example, can be linked to the records of  a database that contains the details of the parts (value, pn, manufacturer, vendor and physicals). When you place a resistor in your design you can choose to which specifical record it must be linked and the CAD copies the detail of the part into properties of the symbol on the schematic.

See here for details https://www.altium.com/documentation/altium-designer/working-with-database-libraries-ad

Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 960

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 11:22:45 11:22 »

I use Altium Designer. At library structure, which I have, it is not possible. Because, I have general resistor, general capacitor, etc in library. So I would had to make different library part for each specific part and its value. But this would lead to huge libraies. The seccond way is to write details for each part in schematic. A lot of work...
I am planning to do the same. With this series of caps https://docs.rs-online.com/f425/0900766b816c10a9.pdf
I am still quite low on the learning curve. But give me a few days

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
bigtoy

Thank You
-Given: 322
-Receive: 297

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 05:57:06 05:57 »

Database... What others have said. The underlying problem is that you need to support multiple suppliers of a component, not just one. For example, a 10k 0402 resistor, you might have 5 different manufacturer partnumbers you're happy to use. Whereas the EDA tool (Altium or whatever) typically only supports one. Hence you create your own partnumbers, each of which corresponds to one or more manufacturer's partnumbers. And you store it all in a database. Maybe Excel. maybe something fancier.
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2000

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 07:38:49 19:38 »

Database... What others have said. The underlying problem is that you need to support multiple suppliers of a component, not just one. For example, a 10k 0402 resistor, you might have 5 different manufacturer partnumbers you're happy to use. Whereas the EDA tool (Altium or whatever) typically only supports one. Hence you create your own partnumbers, each of which corresponds to one or more manufacturer's partnumbers. And you store it all in a database. Maybe Excel. maybe something fancier.

Altium supports multiple suppliers for any given part number - so it is well suited for this task. I think the issue for many is how to generate large amounts of components that have suppliers. A typical example is how to generate an entire resistor or capacitor family of values - without building each one individually.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 08:22:39 20:22 »

Altium supports multiple suppliers for any given part number - so it is well suited for this task. I think the issue for many is how to generate large amounts of components that have suppliers. A typical example is how to generate an entire resistor or capacitor family of values - without building each one individually.
Ah well but is it a good idea to be online when using Altium. If you have no legit license. And also I am working on a simple write up on how to this with a database library. It is simple because I am quite green on databases

MAXPAYNE

Thank You
-Given: 493
-Receive: 359

It's a little funny......

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 07:38:16 07:38 »

What I do is that, I use my generic R C L library with only 2/3 parameters (like val, volt etc.). Then I use "manufacturer part search" to search a component with that required parameters and then add parameter data to the specific component. I do the same for all the components in all schematic sheet.

Whats the Craziest Project u have done lately...?
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 06:16:42 18:16 »

Ok here is one way on how to make an Altium database library. If you have a lot of components that only change value. This guide take it for given that you have Microsoft Access installed. As I used it to edit the tables. You can use any sort of database engine. But it requires more step. You Tube has a lot of videos on it. And Altium web based help has a lot of info. I know the write up is kind of crude. But ask for help if you have problems. One thing, database libraries are not installed. They are added to you project (the DBLib files). Also take VERY CARE of where your files are saved. If not they will end up all over the place. This goes for all the tools used. They like to place them on their own default places and change them on the run
I have included my project folder. So you can "jump" in at any time in the write up. The source files for the project with all files is stored at Google. The write up here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18FeccX3fbfKmmMWm-ojN1S42hAYdfLpp/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:56:25 19:56 by Sideshow Bob » Logged

Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 05:22:10 17:22 »

I have had great success (for many years) using altium's database libraries / microsoft access.  We created a database with custom tables/fields for different part classes (resistors, capacitors, inductors, analog, digital, mechanical) and a master table that had common info (vendor, manf, part number, key, schlib/symbol, and pcblib/symbol).  This made it very easy to create queries that could be loaded into altium to provide custom sets of fields in altium for different part types.  Everything then linked down in the master table to their respective schematic and PCB symbols.

we have many thousands of standard parts linked down to dozens of schematic symbols and a few hundred pcb footprints.
hef4015

Thank You
-Given: 87
-Receive: 14

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2022, 10:10:01 22:10 »

A part database is always good.
First it is important to use the design software to output proper parts data as explained above.

Improving the lists later can be simply programmed using Python with Pandas.
All data can be processed in an automated way there.

Output formats can be XLSX, CSV and others.
bobcat1

Thank You
-Given: 4147
-Receive: 89

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 01:35:14 13:35 »

Hi all,
Orcad CIS support data base you can use mySQL (free) or MsAccess or any other data base who support ODBC connection

In one of the company's I use to work with ,They have MySql and Orcad CIS worked very well, easy to insert new part using 3rd party software and easy to work with

you can also build a custom components add software and automatic inventory scan to let you know whether components quantity are at limit, using python according to your own needs - simple and easy if to know how to write python script and access data base ....

All the best

Bobi  
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...