Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:14:00 11:14

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for info on pcb layers  (Read 4284 times)
sphinx

Thank You
-Given: 604
-Receive: 260

« on: December 03, 2020, 06:24:20 18:24 »

Hi i am looking for info on how the different layers are used some are understandable like the top layer, top overlay or top paste. I seeing differences in some libraries made by others.
Is there any standard for the mechanical layers or any other layers like which one is for 3d body ....

i tried to search but i am not sure what to search for i didnt find any good info on this.
many thanx in advance.

laws of physics are not laws at all, just assumptions and formulas that work as long as we don't figure something new that wrecks the calculations. the infinite onion try to peel that one
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:12:05 20:12 »

Hi i am looking for info on how the different layers are used some are understandable like the top layer, top overlay or top paste. I seeing differences in some libraries made by others.
Is there any standard for the mechanical layers or any other layers like which one is for 3d body ....

i tried to search but i am not sure what to search for i didnt find any good info on this.
many thanx in advance.

There is no standard! Now, that doesnt mean that there are libraries out there that are similar. For example, in Altium, I notice alot of people use M1 for outline and M13 for 3D model. But I can also find a few cases where people chose differently.

I would suggest that you adopt your own standard and stick to it. When I created my own standard, I thought about all of the things I might want to include. Like documentation/notes, dimensions, 3D models, courtyard etc.. not everybody uses all possibilities.. so it really depends on what information you will need.

Channel on Youtube has a couple videos addressing the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQIKYw5zOvI

Even though this guy discusses Altium, these concepts apply to ALL PCB tools.

Oh, and it doesnt hurt to build in some spare unused so that they could be used in the future if something new comes up.

What you dont want to do, is leave something out and then have to go back and update all your components.

PPS: One thing I learned is early on, I thought I would use other peoples libraries to help save time. But now, I realize I never use others libraries and just always make my own parts & libraries to my own standard and it SAVES me time and I get what I need.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:16:21 20:16 by optikon » Logged

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 959

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:59:10 08:59 »

I have not gone very far down this rabbit hole regarding mech layers. Much will depend on what kind of information the fabrication stage need to do the job. As fabrication, assembly, and documentation do not allways to have the same set of iformation. Hence it is smart to add sevral mech layers that can be added or removed as needed in the documentation job generation.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
mexpcb

Thank You
-Given: 35
-Receive: 211

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 05:19:17 05:19 »

you may just use what fits your needs and the tools you use...

as an example, if you use the Altium wizard for making footprints, the default output will place courtyards, component body etc in a default and particular layer, so its better to define the same layer name in your PCB...
if you use third party calculators, you may need what is the output giving you...
nos if your source for footprint or any other cad information you may get form different sources you may need to check what they do give you and what mech layer they use and use they ones they use...
ninedots have a good seminar about that for Altium...
bobcat1

Thank You
-Given: 4135
-Receive: 89

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:07:40 09:07 »

Hi Sphinx,

Search google for "PCB stackup" to learn more about how to setup PCB layers
there are special software for design stackup for PCB best on required impedance - mostly for RF PCB
or power PCB for aluminum PCB design

All the best

Bobi
sphinx

Thank You
-Given: 604
-Receive: 260

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 12:25:51 12:25 »

Hi,
i do only simplish designs linear and low frequency. So i can create my own stacks. I thought there was sorta some standard
to use. I have seen there are some diffferences between software out there, so i understood there is a bit of wiggleroom.

your help is much appreciated,

laws of physics are not laws at all, just assumptions and formulas that work as long as we don't figure something new that wrecks the calculations. the infinite onion try to peel that one
mexpcb

Thank You
-Given: 35
-Receive: 211

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 06:38:16 18:38 »

Please feel free to ask any question, we will be here to help...
hef4015

Thank You
-Given: 87
-Receive: 14

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 01:54:14 13:54 »

A good way to learn is to read up on layer stackups and then talk to a manufacturer as suggested above.
Best is someone who actually does the work. Cheesy
Cyberrat

Thank You
-Given: 565
-Receive: 128

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 07:42:11 19:42 »

A bit late but....

I have always named the layers to reflect what they do (with the opposite side named similar).

As there are many different programs and many different types of PCB the layer structure is kind of organic so the layer structure
always depends upon how many layers are required.

Component symbols would generally be made for the external layers only, with the ability to swap sides, however when you get into components that need inner layers this adds the requirement for the additional layers to be in your library.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...