Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:00:14 16:00

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Print
Author Topic: Self Build CNC Project Advice  (Read 9128 times)
Manuel

Thank You
-Given: 644
-Receive: 177

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 08:51:48 08:51 »

Nice, but I see lotta technical possible issues.

Such solution can not grant precision in movement, especially in reverting direction and then the floating can destroy the guide.

I suggest you to use larger guides.

Even can be really cheap such solution.

A nice try can be using auto-lube polymers on Alu rails....

I would say 500mm rails with 2 polymer skates will cost no more than 14USD.

Take care,

X!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 09:07:28 09:07 by Manuel » Logged

-> An Apple a Day does not Let U become a Macintosh!
norkimo

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 71

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 09:21:38 21:21 »

I have to agree with Manuel.

If you look even at higher end 3D printers, people are trying to get away from rods with linear ball bearings.

Take a look at Voron Design's choice's as I believe they have struck an excellent balance between value and cost: http://vorondesign.com/

They are using MGN9H linear rails from AliExpress rather than smooth rods.  For your application I would also recommend standardizing on GT3 belts if you can.  The tooth profile is the same (regardless of what folks on the internet try to tell you - call Gates Belts directly if you want to confirm), but the belts are slightly thicker.
Vineyards

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 37

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 04:00:09 04:00 »

A word of caution for those starting to build a CNC: be realistic. This ancient sounding acronym does not reflect the true nature of the beast. All seems easy at first; a great facility, time saver, produces excellent results with a professional finish and CNC is inherently flawless and beats building things by hand by miles. As you learn, that technical flawlessness is actually not possible and any machine that can take you close to it comes with a price. You will learn any tiny little tolerances will add up and make it extremely difficult for you to produce an acceptable result.

There is a steep learning curve that includes mechanics, concept, design, pre-planning and post-planning, safety. I am not even getting into how difficult to find the space in your house for even the smallest CNC and the required array of other things to support any production to be done on it. All that I have mentioned so far makes this type of production as one of the most difficult to master and mature in and we are talking about mastering the whole thing complete with concept, design etc.

I have fried steppers, burnt controller cards, damaged the table on the cnc. In the end, I realized that along with all the things I mentioned earlier, you need to be very patient and devote more of your time to get anywhere with this hobby. There is one more thing I would like to mention: hand dexterity. Unless you have it you are doomed forever. I found in my case, my brain works quite well in most situations but my hands don't do the job properly. If you have the gift, you will benefit a lot from having it. If not you might as well consider getting the work done for you. With all these stringent requirements about mechanics that should be the way to go.

I suck but I have never given up Smiley
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 539
-Receive: 408

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 06:47:25 06:47 »

A word of caution for those starting to build a CNC: be realistic. This ancient sounding acronym does not reflect the true nature of the beast. All seems easy at first; a great facility, time saver, produces excellent results with a professional finish and CNC is inherently flawless and beats building things by hand by miles. As you learn, that technical flawlessness is actually not possible and any machine that can take you close to it comes with a price. You will learn any tiny little tolerances will add up and make it extremely difficult for you to produce an acceptable result.

There is a steep learning curve that includes mechanics, concept, design, pre-planning and post-planning, safety. I am not even getting into how difficult to find the space in your house for even the smallest CNC and the required array of other things to support any production to be done on it. All that I have mentioned so far makes this type of production as one of the most difficult to master and mature in and we are talking about mastering the whole thing complete with concept, design etc.

I have fried steppers, burnt controller cards, damaged the table on the cnc. In the end, I realized that along with all the things I mentioned earlier, you need to be very patient and devote more of your time to get anywhere with this hobby. There is one more thing I would like to mention: hand dexterity. Unless you have it you are doomed forever. I found in my case, my brain works quite well in most situations but my hands don't do the job properly. If you have the gift, you will benefit a lot from having it. If not you might as well consider getting the work done for you. With all these stringent requirements about mechanics that should be the way to go.

I suck but I have never given up Smiley
So very true, I stated this earlier a lot of time is needed what makes you think it's easy is when you see all the work that people have done but what they do not show how many attempts it took to show the final product before you master it , I've just redone a new spoil board for my CNC and gone through recalibrating it over a few days so a lot of time spent in getting get right.
I also personally would not build my own as I learnt at the beginning spent months building it to find out that it was not good enough and brought an 6040+S and pleased with it. It is possible to build your own but you would need to be prepared to spend some mega bux on it. 

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
norkimo

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 71

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 07:02:14 07:02 »

So very true, I stated this earlier a lot of time is needed what makes you think it's easy is when you see all the work that people have done but what they do not show how many attempts it took to show the final product before you master it , I've just redone a new spoil board for my CNC and gone through recalibrating it over a few days so a lot of time spent in getting get right.
I also personally would not build my own as I learnt at the beginning spent months building it to find out that it was not good enough and brought an 6040+S and pleased with it. It is possible to build your own but you would need to be prepared to spend some mega bux on it. 

I will third this.  An engineer friend of mine and I spent a whole summer and much $$$ building a CNC from scratch for special milling of metal.  It was very costly and still is hard to use, but we learned much.

The real question is what is the goal.  If it is to learn, then definitely enjoy the journey.  If it is to make good parts, building a CNC from scratch is not the way to go today.
zac

Thank You
-Given: 81
-Receive: 57

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2020, 08:08:14 20:08 »

Does anyone have experience with a cnc device to cut fabric?  and plastics such polycarbonate (up to maybe 0.25" thick)?   Any experience with these (some of these use a CO2 laser)?  

https://www.amazon.com/Genmitsu-3018-PRO-Control-Engraving-300x180x45mm/dp/B07P6K9BL3/

https://www.amazon.com/Engraver-Control-Engraving-Controller-300x180x45mm/dp/B0828WCHRM/

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Engraving-Machine-Exhaust-Stepping/dp/B06Y2PB3RX/

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-Engraver-Cutter-Exhaust/dp/B01EJDH1BO/

https://www.amazon.com/Engraving-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-Auxiliary/dp/B07CCYLV8L/
Pages: 1 [2]  All
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...