Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2018, 03:46:03 15:46

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Has anyone here used FTDI FT800 "EVE" chips?  (Read 563 times)
bigtoy

Thank You
-Given: 196
-Receive: 257

« on: November 17, 2018, 01:49:52 13:49 »

I'm thinking of using the FTDI FT800 EVE chip, for driving a low-cost 4.3" LCD.

https://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT800.html

Yes I know there are microcontrollers (like some of the STM32 series) which contain in-built graphics controllers. But this project is an upgrade to an existing product, so we have to stick with the micro we currently have, and that micro doesn't contain a graphics controller. Hence the interest in using this chip.

Has anyone here used it?  If so, any comments?

Thanks.

Checksum8

Thank You
-Given: 80
-Receive: 63

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 03:21:29 15:21 »

Mikroelektronika has a lots of code examples for FTDI graphics chips. They also have displays and modules that use these drivers. I have not used FT800, when I found the Nextion displays I decided to not pursue the FTDI route.

The Nextion displays have a built in graphics controller. They are easy to add to existing systems. Great for user interfaces not meant for video type applications. I guess it would depend on your price point?
bigtoy

Thank You
-Given: 196
-Receive: 257

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 03:40:54 15:40 »

Mikroelektronika has a lots of code examples for FTDI graphics chips. They also have displays and modules that use these drivers. I have not used FT800, when I found the Nextion displays I decided to not pursue the FTDI route.

The Nextion displays have a built in graphics controller. They are easy to add to existing systems. Great for user interfaces not meant for video type applications. I guess it would depend on your price point?

Thanks for that. I hadn't looked at the Nextion displays, but now you mentioned it I took a look. They are a bit expensive - $44 for the 4.3" version. That would be OK for prototypes, but not for production. The FT800 is around $4 - $5, and we have a 4.3" touchscreen display we use in another product, that we buy in volume for less than $12.
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/tft-4-3-inch-lcd-module-touchscreen-display-for-mp4-gps-480x272
Price-wise the FT800+LCD makes for a reasonable solution.

I'll check out the Mikroelektronika examples.
Checksum8

Thank You
-Given: 80
-Receive: 63

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 04:09:36 16:09 »

The draw back to the Mikroe code examples. They rely on closed source and compiled in libraries. So you're stuck with their compiler.

This might help for your prototype
https://www.mikroe.com/eve-click
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...