Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:08:33 23:08

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Print
Author Topic: USB logic analyzer opinions  (Read 16430 times)
Captain_Boblo

Thank You
-Given: 69
-Receive: 113

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 12:20:20 12:20 »

I have had that one for about 3-4 years, and I would say it is worth the money as it helped me track down a (literally) one in a billion event. 
I have a zeroplus LPA-C16032, various Saleae clones, Analog Discovery and Intronix logic port. 

The two I use the most are Logicport for parallel (34 channels are very useful for looking at transfers between FPGA and processors) and the Kingst LA5016 for serial transfers. 

The Logicport's small memory can be limiting at times and I find that I need to remove channels and carefully set triggers to capture what I want. 
The memory depth of the LA5016 is extremely useful, you can see waayyyy back in time.  The software seems to be stable enough but the trigger settings are limited.  There is a way of modifying the Logicport to bring out the trigger so that the more sophisticated triggers could be set on the Logicport and the LA5016 could have a sample edge trigger on the logicport's output. 

My LA5016 is labelled Jiankun. 
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 05:33:03 17:33 »

I dunno if it'll work with Sigrok (now or ever) as it's not on the compatibility list, so I hope the proprietary Chinese software won't be too awful...

As for 500MHz, that's beyond wishful thinking. Sure, you can sample a slow signal super fast (which is quite pointless), but that design with totally inadequate "dupont"-based probes (high inductance/high capacitance, coupled with super ghetto grabbers and all -- which is perfectly adequate for a $5 Logic8 clone) isn't gonna get close to sampling signals anywhere near this fast... If anything it'll just interfere with the signal integrity to the point of making those fast signals stop working. It should be able to do around 60MHz or so (perhaps 75). It doesn't appear much better than a $35 Logic16 clone (but almost as expensive as the real thing), sorry Sad

I don't think you are correct.  Keep in mind a 500MHz sample rate is really only suitable for maybe 50MHz asynchronous digital signals if you want to have ANY reasonable timing fidelity in the samples.

Granted at 50MHz crappy probes will start causing some poorer signal shape but it's perfectly reasonable to use and be effective.

For instance the Lecroy logic analyzers are 500MHz sample rates, they use what you indicate as "crappy" probes and it works just fine.  I doubt lecroy would sell a tool, sample rate, and probes that were essentially worthless as you indicate.
MisterX

Thank You
-Given: 158
-Receive: 24

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 12:07:36 12:07 »

I have a DSLogic http://www.dreamsourcelab.com/index.html acquired during the Kickstarter campaign and I'm really happy with it. Don't know if it's still available to purchase actually.
zac

Thank You
-Given: 81
-Receive: 57

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 08:51:47 20:51 »

Rigol offered a usb oscilloscope and logic analyzer instrument that can occasionally be found on ebay.  It's pretty good if the sample rates are adequate for your application and you don't mind the software being only compatible with windows XP. 

https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-VS5062D.html

token0

Thank You
-Given: 55
-Receive: 97

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 11:40:32 23:40 »

Saleae clone is convenient to use even as parallel (LPT) port (with some restrictions) on PCs that don't have it. CY7C68013A is a really great chip.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...