Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:04:58 06:04

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What was I thinking doing all this  (Read 3196 times)
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 961

« on: October 28, 2016, 03:00:19 15:00 »

I am moving to a new house very soon. So I have had a major cleanup. Among the things what went to the dumpster, two big boxes of burned CDs and DVDs. The content mostly software downloaded from the net over a period of 20 years. All CDs and DVDs meticulously burned, labled, and boxed. Perhaps 70% of them shelf storaged never to be looked at again and forgotten. I have tried to ask my self why. But have not in any way managed to come up with any good answer  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:14:13 19:14 by Sideshow Bob » Logged

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
electrojit

Thank You
-Given: 233
-Receive: 285

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:56:31 18:56 »

Those CDs/DVDs will have good old golden stuff... I also asked that question when I moved from one city to another city... and I started digging in the DVDs and CDs written in 2004. Found 8051 simulator which was not easily and few other good old webpages that I downloaded over 56kbps dialup model...

Maybe you also might have some important stuff that you can share or cherish now...
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 01:15:43 01:15 »

I will keep my boxes of discs until I die damnit.

a few years ago I offloaded all my old 250MB tape backups to CD (I still have a computer with a floppy port available).

in 2002 when I moved houses my girlfriend thew out my box of 3.5" floppies.  That relationship obviously didn't last.
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2001

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 01:32:41 01:32 »

I too have boxes of 3.5 floppies full of software. I guess at the time, nobody could predict how easy it would become to obtain.. so we kept it all as if it would never become available again. A pseudo hoarding mentality I guess. I figure though if there is room to keep childhood toys and other sentimental crap stuff, then well why not hang on to these old things.. they aren't hurting anybody.

Sideshow, the thought of all those nicely labeled CDs/DVD's just going in the dumpster.... Sad
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 06:57:39 18:57 by optikon » Logged

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
Cyberrat

Thank You
-Given: 566
-Receive: 128

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 12:10:19 12:10 »

The inner hoarder in us hates for stuff like that to be thrown awy, the need to store this data, those programs that we may one day find a use for is strong.
I feel for your loss Bob.

I would recommend buying a few extra external HDD's so that you can start collecting all over again. Smiley
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 04:36:40 16:36 »

The inner hoarder in us hates for stuff like that to be thrown awy, the need to store this data, those programs that we may one day find a use for is strong.
I feel for your loss Bob.

I would recommend buying a few extra external HDD's so that you can start collecting all over again. Smiley

No man!  Cool kids store it in the cloud!  The coolest kids store it distributed on usenet and torrents and TOR Smiley
Signal

Thank You
-Given: 111
-Receive: 81

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 04:38:26 16:38 »

It's not about thinking it's about loving and enjoying it, I think. You are lucky that you love cars less than programs - collecting cars say more difficult. So you were happy to be able to get what you love ;)

Give a right name to a right game and play it right
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 961

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 10:52:21 10:52 »

I too have boxes of 3.5 floppies full of software. I guess at the time, nobody could predict how easy it would become to obtain.. so we kept it all as if it would never become available again. A pseudo hoarding mentality I guess. I figure though if there is room to keep childhood toys and other sentimental crap stuff, then well why not hang on to these old things.. they aren't hurting anybody.

Sideshow, the thought of all those nicely labeled CDs/DVD's just going in the dumpster.... Sad
I did not send all my CD collection to the dumpster. It was more a downsizing. Even if 85% went out to dumpster. Instead of hoarding a full version history of software i kept the highligts in some cases. That will say for software I have used. I am done collecting just for sake of collecting Wink

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
anotherandrew

Thank You
-Given: 740
-Receive: 22

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 09:57:29 21:57 »

did you create new cd/dvd from the old ones you decide to keep? recordable media does go bad much sooner than manufactured cd/dvd
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...