Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:53:52 07:53

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Add a new book-format rule  (Read 7135 times)
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« on: January 15, 2015, 01:55:21 01:55 »

What do you guys think about standardizing publications/printed-material as PDF as a site rule?

Things like epub, djvu, PS, etc would need to be translated to PDF before being posted.

This way the translation's been done once, vs a few hundred times.
Beltza

Thank You
-Given: 228
-Receive: 42

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:38:51 18:38 »

But the process to convert to PDF has many options, page size for example.
Would options be fixed?
I can convert to a tiny page for viewing in a tablet or similar device and it will be not optimal for computer screens...
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 539
-Receive: 408

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:47:09 19:47 »

What do you guys think about standardizing publications/printed-material as PDF as a site rule?

Things like epub, djvu, PS, etc would need to be translated to PDF before being posted.

This way the translation's been done once, vs a few hundred times.

No I say leave has is then the user can choose what they do and convert them selves if need be or what ever suits them, I use them Epub for kindle and PDF for computer which suits me better

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 07:59:07 19:59 »

No I say leave has is then the user can choose what they do and convert them selves if need be or what ever suits them, I use them Epub for kindle and PDF for computer which suits me better

I fully agree with this, PDF is great for computers but IMO it's sub-par for most portable devices like tablets and phones when compared with other 'reader' style formats...  Leave the files in their native format it also avoids any potential formatting or conversion irregularities...
Signal

Thank You
-Given: 111
-Receive: 81

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:50:31 21:50 »

When I need some info I am happy not to complicate task for those who can help me. So let him decide what is more comfortable for him.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:08:25 23:08 by Signal » Logged

Give a right name to a right game and play it right
bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 04:46:59 16:46 »

Leave the files in their native format it also avoids any potential formatting or conversion irregularities

I agree with that but what might be better is a sticky thread where user's could post what they consider the best tools for converting the different formats
there are just too many programs out there and it would be helpful to sort out the best from the worse of those programs and save people a lot of useless downloads and trial & error with them

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:48:58 18:48 »

I haven't seen that much here that wasn't PDF.  That said, I'd rather get a funky format than nothing at all if I needed a book.

All PDF would be my preference though.
bbarney

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:37:19 19:37 »

My preference is PDF and true pdf so you can copy and paste text if it need's  translating but I've noticed an increase in just the e-pub format the odd djvu which are usually older uploads re-upped but in the end if you really need it you'll take any way you can get it

Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 10:00:58 22:00 »

My worry for this is if the poster do not have the ability to convert, some good books might not get posted.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 11:50:06 23:50 »

My worry for this is if the poster do not have the ability to convert, some good books might not get posted.

Agreed, we should be thankful for the share.

One can always request somebody convert & repost if needed.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 12:15:01 00:15 »

I agree with that but what might be better is a sticky thread where user's could post what they consider the best tools for converting the different formats

I have tried A LOT of converters and although some work well most of the time, I have yet to find one that works well all the time, in almost all cases they break formatting to some degree unless it's a very basically formatted document...

The converters that I have used that best preserve format usually merge the entire page (or part of the page) into a single image vs formatted images/text thus you lose the ability to search text strings properly...
bbarney

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 04:27:29 04:27 »

I have tried A LOT of converters and although some work well most of the time, I have yet to find one that works well all the time, in almost all cases they break formatting to some degree unless it's a very basically formatted document...

The converters that I have used that best preserve format usually merge the entire page (or part of the page) into a single image vs formatted images/text thus you lose the ability to search text strings properly...

That pretty much sum's up my experience with convertors so far too , I'am not really impressed with any I've used
There is nothing as good as a true PDF
I'll take the book anyway I can get it ,something is better than nothing Smiley

bobcat1

Thank You
-Given: 4135
-Receive: 89

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 08:44:21 08:44 »

Hi All

Maybe the best way is only uploading PDF and not other format

All the best

Bobi

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...