Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:12:45 19:12

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [REQ] Need to factory manufacture a linear SMD chip  (Read 3198 times)
Faros

Thank You
-Given: 141
-Receive: 178

« on: May 30, 2014, 08:47:21 20:47 »

I have a linear chip that needs to be SMD manufactured for (1) space saving (2) design protection, the targeted quantity is 200k. I didn’t need to do this task before so I have limited experience concerning what is needed. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thank you in advance.
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:29:51 21:29 »

IMO you would be better off contracting the entire project out to a COB manufacture based on your schematics and having them produce your boards with the COB in place...  This is something you simply don't want to jump into with no experience and I doubt tooling up for an IC packaging is going to be profitable at 200K...
Faros

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:55:53 08:55 »

The Chip is versatile and will be used in various products that have different PCB shapes and sizes at a production rate of 200K/Quarter and even more, the client is currently applying the designed circuit using on-shelf component;  the Pick’n place time is considerable and if those component are packed then he can increase his rate of production by shortening the Pick’n place time . With COB solution the PCB’s should move to different location where the COB is to be printed. It is not applicable in this case.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am looking for semiconductor manufacturer that you can contract with NDA covering your design rights to produce the chip, the semiconductor manufacturer should have his staff translating design to wafers and produce the targeted chips.
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:18:27 17:18 »

Correct me if I am wrong, I am looking for semiconductor manufacturer that you can contract with NDA covering your design rights to produce the chip, the semiconductor manufacturer should have his staff translating design to wafers and produce the targeted chips.

Yeah, that is pretty much it, but to be blunt that NDA is only a piece of paper and in many of the locations it's not worth it's weight, this is why most semiconductor companies keep things in house...  That or know the company you are working with very well...

IMO if you do outsource it might be best to do it though a 3rd party or closet corporation, to help hide the market sector or use...  I have seen first hand when a supplier found a market from a client and then stole that market using the clients own design or solicited the design to competitors...  The less the contractor knows about the design/use and the company paying for it the better...
Faros

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 08:34:46 20:34 »

The client is a big consumer manufacturer in my region, I am afraid that a Chinese semiconductor manufacturer will produce the chip and put the end product in our region before the client dose  Smiley, TI products are sold at lower cost in China and I have tested some and proved working!! ... looks like they have acquired the original design way or another.

Big names need big money and the unknown names are risky, I was wondering if there is a sensible solution for this dilemma?   

Checksum8

Thank You
-Given: 123
-Receive: 100

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 08:41:45 20:41 »

Here some info

http://www.planetanalog.com/author.asp?section_id=526&doc_id=559519
Faros

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 10:55:44 22:55 »

@Checksum8

Looks interesting, I will approach the suggested foundries and post the result, may the result will be useful to other members.

Thank you for your efforts.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...