Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:19:49 05:19

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Author Topic: Which one is best ?  (Read 13331 times)
MAXPAYNE

Thank You
-Given: 493
-Receive: 363

It's a little funny......

« on: September 26, 2007, 06:35:52 18:35 »

In case of Autorouting, which one is best u think for single sided board ?

Diptrace

Proteus

Eagle

Orcad Layout

Ultiboard & Ultiroute

Whats the Craziest Project u have done lately...?
knave

Thank You
-Given: 28
-Receive: 102

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 06:54:58 18:54 »

I tried Eagle but the Eagle's autorouter not to good...  Orcad too complex...
Try Altium Designer, PADS or PCAD for "manual" routing plus SPECCTRA for autorouting.
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:19:07 20:19 »

Does SPECCTRA is most efficient autorouter ?

user112

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 139

Salut tuturor(hello to all)

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:59:49 06:59 »

I use proteus for smoll schematics but the most eficient is manual routing or you can choose 2 sides board and manual reruoting one side just for jumpers
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 07:10:49 07:10 »

But if the autorouter is efficient then the rest of unrouted trace is reduced....

Also if I route with jumper on in a layer in diptrace it will make lots of jumper. So idon't usually chose the jumper on and manually put the jumper.....

Trishool

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 9

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:35:14 15:35 »

Its very hard to say . everyone is very religious about their tools , I can reccomend you to try ALTIUM DESIGNER and see its efficacy yourself.

Regards
Ts
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 07:58:22 07:58 »

Hi Trishtool,
Are the Altium and PADS2006 same or different..?

Trishool

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 04:42:01 16:42 »

Hi Trishtool,
Are the Altium and PADS2006 same or different..?

Not at all Altium is more close to P-CAD .  Try Altium its just wonder full, if you need search the forum or I can give you exact links right away..

TS
Trishool

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 04:43:38 16:43 »

I wanted to add one thing that is I have also use Eagle , but its autorouter doesnt seems to stand anywhere beside Altium designer.

Ts
zokij

Thank You
-Given: 269
-Receive: 679

Nice time :)

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 02:54:30 02:54 »

I try lot of different program, last one was Altium, but at the end I return to old-one Protel99SE .... if you want to have easy to use Cad with good autorouter use this ... you will have all what you have with Altium.
With any program (autorouter) you can`t finish your board. With best autorouter you still must finish about 10% of routing... or spend much more time to define autorouter rules... If you need CAD for schematics and PCB (with autorouter) and you dont need some simulation use Protel99SE.... I know this program is old (so am I) but ... I like them ... I work with PCB design long time and I start with Smart, Tango, Orcad..... and I try lot of new programs ....

Undecided
jezo

Thank You
-Given: 37
-Receive: 13

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 06:50:03 06:50 »

I agree with Zokij. Protel99 it's best choice for home. Altium Designer is unnecessarily big. And autorouter? For single sided board no one...

p.s. Protel99 needs service pack 6. It's important.
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 07:41:13 07:41 »

I am using diptrace and still not satisfied with it's autorouting......

robertino

Thank You
-Receive: 3

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 09:52:41 21:52 »

as other users say Eagle is not the best tool, i have used it for some schematics and for manual circuit design, the autorouter is not efficient at all..

i like and find very usefull (and now i use this) Multisim 10 for schematics and simulation, and Ultiboard/route for autoroute...

Ciao
Roberto
Xwing

Thank You
-Given: 578
-Receive: 1529

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 07:22:21 19:22 »

Eagle + Electra for autorouting
FriskyFerret

Thank You
-Given: 513
-Receive: 360

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 11:21:21 23:21 »

Diptrace

Proteus

Eagle

Orcad Layout

Ultiboard & Ultiroute

Some boards ban "which is best" posts because all it does is create useless traffic. I can see their point but until it becomes a problem here I will add my opinion.

For autorouting of single-sided boards the "best" package, in my interpretation of the word, is OrCAD Layout Plus. It will autoroute and auto-insert variable length jumpers as needed. The down side is that its a complicated package to learn for those accustomed to simple software like Proteus,  Diptrace, or Eagle. I once used OrCAD Layout but now use PADS.

Who wants to autoroute a single-sided board?

There are two classes of users:
  • Hobbyists who want to fabricate their own board.
  • Professional layout designers in the consumer electronics industry (read China) who are driven to layout on a single-sided board to reduce costs. Take a typical computer monitor apart. The main PCB will often be of significant size and complexity but be single-sided. A lot of effort and skill went in to designing that board so the manufacturer could save $2.43 each on 300,000 boards.

Basic Notes on the Autorouters

Diptrace
The built-in autorouter is pure rubbish. It can do a simple board but then anyone could do a simple board by hand, too. Diptrace is a respectable package but it must be used with Electra.

Proteus
The autorouter isn't terrible but it should be used with Electra, too. The built-in router has problems with fan-outs and proper handling of surface mount components. It does a "good enough" job with thru-hole, especially with Electra. Using the built-in autorouter with surface mount, high density devices can get really  strange.

Eagle
The autorouter is fairly primitive. Again, Electra should be used.

Orcad Layout
The built-in shape-based autorouter is quite respectable. It has SPECCTRA as a add-in, the mother of all autorouters, though most hobbyists haven't a clue how to use it.

Ultiboard & Ultiroute
The autorouter in this package mostly stinks. I can't remember if it does auto-insertion of jumpers or not.

For beginners, as someone suggested, Protel 99 SE with SP6, or Pulsonix v4.6 makes an excellent general purpose capture and layout package. The autorouter in Protel 99SE is just barely acceptable (way better than Diptrace, Eagle or Proteus) but will do a reasonable job. The one in Pulsonix is very good, competing with SPECCTRA and a lot easier to set up and run.

Don't be put off that Protel 99 SE is 8 years old. It is still a very good, complete package with almost no bugs. Protel 99 SE also has a good manual to teach you how to use it, as does Pulsonix.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:47:53 23:47 by FriskyFerret » Logged

Dancing pants and leotards, that's what I'm talkin' about!
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 02:59:48 14:59 »

Hi FriskyFerret,
      How can I use Electra with Diptrace ?

avralam

Thank You
-Given: 153
-Receive: 30

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 04:42:17 16:42 »

Hi Maxpayne!
Do not waste time for singlesided autorouter! You cannot see normal PCB! Good visible result can you see only with manual routing. I making PCB with Sprint Layout5. All dimensions and commands are on the screen.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:06:22 09:06 by avralam » Logged
Trishool

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 09:28:51 09:28 »

I try lot of different program, last one was Altium, but at the end I return to old-one Protel99SE .... if you want to have easy to use Cad with good autorouter use this ... you will have all what you have with Altium.
With any program (autorouter) you can`t finish your board. With best autorouter you still must finish about 10% of routing... or spend much more time to define autorouter rules... If you need CAD for schematics and PCB (with autorouter) and you dont need some simulation use Protel99SE.... I know this program is old (so am I) but ... I like them ... I work with PCB design long time and I start with Smart, Tango, Orcad..... and I try lot of new programs ....

Undecided

Well when I was using Protel99SE with all service packs applied I use to get hell lot errors on Windows98SE , The program used to crash many times , but with DXP or altium upgrade no such crashes are there. One thing more auto router also depends on the track widths you choose , I feel Altium has made a lot of changes in the routing topology then that was in earlier versons , Traxmaker , protel 3.xx, protel99Se, DXp and now Altium. evolution is on . I suggested because its free to dowload here , downloaded latest Altium from sonsivri only 1.4Gb full.

Regards
Ts   
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 03:15:49 15:15 »

But i don't have much speed here to download such a biggy..!!!  1.4Gb

I am gonna such the torrent...

Trishool

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 11:36:41 11:36 »

MAXPAYNE ,  Actually you have to do compromises , If you have limited speed you can try Eagle , I feel its good for hobby type projects but certainly not for professional design , I ts only 11MB ,in size .Worth the size .  I am a little confused what for do you need the PCB design software I mean what is your application?

Ts
Trishool

Thank You

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 11:48:25 11:48 »

MAXPAYNE , Try this PCB design software TRAXMAKER and I am sure youll get in love with it , the simplicity and ease of youse will take you away , I have just uploaded this and it has its pass onside the ZIP .

http://rapidshare.com/files/66907893/circuit-maker.zip.html

TrIsHooL
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 01:31:28 13:31 »

Trishool, I usually do my pcb work with traxmaker and diptrace....

traxmaker and sprint laout is really simple for starting with pcb design....

FriskyFerret

Thank You
-Given: 513
-Receive: 360

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 04:40:02 04:40 »

Well when I was using Protel99SE with all service packs applied I use to get hell lot errors on Windows98SE , The program used to crash many times.

I've used it off and on for years on Win9X machines, WinNT, Win2K and never had a problem. I've known many others that have never had a problem, either.

People always blame some specific application for crashing a Win9X system, or more often, the OS itself. The problem usually is that the system was already unstable due to some poorly written driver or a corrupt file system.

As far as Altium Designer, it's a 2.2 Gig install and requires the newest and fastest hardware just to run it. It doesn't come with a manual, only small fragmented learning guides and has more bugs than you can shake a stick at.

Protel 99 SE SP6 is less than 100 Meg, has a very complete manual, very few bugs and will do anything a student or hobbyist would want.

You decide.

Dancing pants and leotards, that's what I'm talkin' about!
Trishool

Thank You

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 08:04:41 08:04 »

I've used it off and on for years on Win9X machines, WinNT, Win2K and never had a problem. I've known many others that have never had a problem, either.

People always blame some specific application for crashing a Win9X system, or more often, the OS itself. The problem usually is that the system was already unstable due to some poorly written driver or a corrupt file system.

As far as Altium Designer, it's a 2.2 Gig install and requires the newest and fastest hardware just to run it. It doesn't come with a manual, only small fragmented learning guides and has more bugs than you can shake a stick at.

Protel 99 SE SP6 is less than 100 Meg, has a very complete manual, very few bugs and will do anything a student or hobbyist would want.

You decide.

I am not denying that Protel 99SE isnt worth using . I have done a lot of design with Protel 99SE ,But with windowsXP you require protel DXP 99SE I couldnt make to run , if I remember correctly , The errors that I used to get were when I use to export sch to PCB , no such as related to RAM or CPU .Maybe I used some different crack on it and you used a different one.

Ts   
zokij

Thank You
-Given: 269
-Receive: 679

Nice time :)

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 03:23:11 03:23 »

I still use PROTEL99SE with all service pack on windows XP when I need good help of autorouter with PCB... without problem. If you need help , assistance , probably I can help you to use right way witth step by step procedure of installing and cracking ...
And about Altium Designer I try on few project but I cant see nothing more (only if you have companion and make corporate work) but for use simplicity and quickly for me is still Protel99se....
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...