to dennis78,I I am using only ISP portion for now so i selected ISP mode in AVRSTUDIO. I have opened jumper as i am using only ISP mode.So tell me how to check reset of pin programmer as i have tested it is not going low when I am reading signature or fuse values of target micrcontroller
For any "normal" use programmer (ISP and HVSP) you must short 2-3 on JP2?
If you don't have scope, you can check on this way:
1. Disconnect programmer from target system.
2. Get multimeter, select manual range for voltages about 5V
3. Measure voltage between pin5 SV1 and ground (It must be about 4.5V)
4. Click on Read signature
5. If you measure low voltage (about 0V) when you press read signature for about 1sec all about reset should be ok
6. If it is not ok, check voltage between pin16 IC1 when you press read signature If you don't get voltage about 5V for about 1sec, maybe you have problem with IC1(not very possible)
7. If you measure correct voltage, you have error in circuit on path between pin16 IC1 and pin5 SV1
Select HW Settings on STK500 software. What voltage you see on VTarget and Aref?