Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:41:19 11:41

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Strange problem with avr programmer help nedded  (Read 4809 times)
avrlover

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 215

« on: March 13, 2014, 02:26:42 14:26 »

I have made Avr high voltage programmer described below . Programer works fine but one problem Programmer detected when ISP programmer socket attached ie ISP progrmmer is attached .but when i disconnect ISP programmer, stk500 IS NOT Detected.
http://www.der-hammer.info/hvprog/index_en.htm.Same problem with JTAG ICE CLONE
http://www.scienceprog.com/avrjtag-clone-in-action/
When ISP programmer is attached clone detected,but when i unplug programmer clone is not detected  .What is possible cause.

Images of both programmers attached

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:21:24 07:21 by avrlover » Logged
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:49:37 15:49 »

did you read what is on the link, you posted
" Difference is only that you have to connect JTAG adapter to target board. "

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
bigtoy

Thank You
-Given: 320
-Receive: 297

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:48:05 23:48 »

Yep, what pickit said, you need to have it plugged in.

I presume you're doing this for some older chips? I don't believe there's any advantage to the HV programmer for any recent AVRs.
hate
 Warned

Thank You
-Given: 156
-Receive: 355

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:13:01 06:13 »

avrlover: I've made the programmer in your first link and it worked as expected. The only problem was to upgrade the firmware as Atmel provided it in a not so common format. Try to upgrade your firmware to the latest version.

bigtoy: HV programming is the only way to reprogram an AVR that has its 'reset' pin configured as io. Unfortunately that raises the need for an HV programmer.

Regards...
dennis78

Thank You
-Given: 266
-Receive: 153

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:58:15 11:58 »

I think you have problem with power supply of your programmers.

When you use STK500 clone, do you use external adapter? If yes, check 5V when your programmer disconnected from target system. Maybe you have some problem on your programmer board(missing connection,bad component...).

For JTAG ICE: JTAG ICE is made to get power from target system -> You must always connect it on powered system or add external power supply (but I didn't reason for external because  JTAG is using for debuging on powered system).

In both cases check +5V on your programmers when you get error. These programmers aren't designed for power supply from PC.
avrlover

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:24:08 15:24 »

.it was problem with serial cable which i purchased.Serial communication works over this cable .but programmer is not  recognized. i changed serial cable cable now programmer is detected as  as STK500 ON COM1 Shows firmware 2.2.But their is other problem with hvprog  i am testing ISP programmer section ,I set the jumpers as asked in link.and try to program target microcontroller.but programer failed to enter in programming mode.I have used 1N5818 Diode instead of sb130.I think problem with target reset.As i am unable to understand function of transistor and  74hc165 portion of circuit.Their is square wave at SWCLK pin of micrcocontroller as i tested with logic probe. Reset should be pulled to low when i enter in programming mode,but it is not in this case.so how o debug programmer to work as expected .
Also Jtag works with replaced serial cable.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:26:45 15:26 by avrlover » Logged
hate
 Warned

Thank You
-Given: 156
-Receive: 355

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:10:14 16:10 »

Do you supply the target with power? I'm not talking about the power to the programmer, you must also supply the target with power to make it work. As a general case official AVR programmers doesn't normally provide power to the target (you must make some arrangements), be sure the target is fed with required power.

Regards...
dennis78

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:19:19 16:19 »

.it was problem with serial cable which i purchased.Serial communication works over this cable .but programmer is not  recognized. i changed serial cable cable now programmer is detected as  as STK500 ON COM1 Shows firmware 2.2.But their is other problem with hvprog  i am testing ISP programmer section ,I set the jumpers as asked in link.and try to program target microcontroller.but programer failed to enter in programming mode.I have used 1N5818 Diode instead of sb130.I think problem with target reset.As i am unable to understand function of transistor and  74hc165 portion of circuit.Their is square wave at SWCLK pin of micrcocontroller as i tested with logic probe. Reset should be pulled to low when i enter in programming mode,but it is not in this case.so how o debug programmer to work as expected .
Also Jtag works with replaced serial cable.

74hc165 -> hardware version identification of programmer
Transistor circuit provide two type of reset: standard 5V reset (0V active) for standard ISP programming and reset for HV programming mode (12V active reset).

For HV programming you must short JP1, JP2 short 2-3 and in AVR studio select HVSP instead ISP and  properly connect MCU
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:22:08 16:22 by dennis78 » Logged
avrlover

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 04:21:06 16:21 »

to Hate, I have power the target board with separate power supply my ISP connector is ok. I checked target microcontroler with other programmer it is ok ie fuse bits are correct  for Target micrcontroller. but still failed to enter in programming mode.
to dennis78,I I am using only ISP portion for now so i selected ISP mode in AVRSTUDIO. I have opened jumper as i am using only ISP mode.So tell me how to check reset of  pin programmer as i have tested it is not going low when I am reading signature or fuse values of target micrcontroller
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:27:45 16:27 by avrlover » Logged
TucoRamirez

Thank You
-Given: 257
-Receive: 115

Tuco ... dead or Alive

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 05:16:12 17:16 »

speaking of troubles, i recentlypurchased an olimex avrisp-mkII on fartnell, i tried it on avr studio but it refuses to program because it needs to update its firmware, i followed the instructions (press the button onboard) but nothing happen. Could anybody help me?  i'm stucked with it and luckily i have a cheapo usbasp with me, but i would like to use the other one too.

Thanks

Whoever double crosses me and leaves me alive... he understands nothing about Tuco.
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 06:56:35 18:56 »

speaking of troubles, i recentlypurchased an olimex avrisp-mkII on fartnell, i tried it on avr studio but it refuses to program because it needs to update its firmware, i followed the instructions (press the button onboard) but nothing happen. Could anybody help me?  i'm stucked with it and luckily i have a cheapo usbasp with me, but i would like to use the other one too.

Thanks
did you try olimex site, they always seem to respond quickly with updates to their boards.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
dennis78

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 07:03:54 19:03 »

to dennis78,I I am using only ISP portion for now so i selected ISP mode in AVRSTUDIO. I have opened jumper as i am using only ISP mode.So tell me how to check reset of  pin programmer as i have tested it is not going low when I am reading signature or fuse values of target micrcontroller

For any "normal" use programmer (ISP and HVSP) you must short 2-3 on JP2?

If you don't have scope, you can check on this way:
1. Disconnect programmer from target system.
2. Get multimeter, select manual range for voltages about 5V
3. Measure voltage between pin5 SV1 and ground (It must be about 4.5V)
4. Click on Read signature
5. If you measure low voltage (about 0V) when you press read signature for about 1sec all about reset should be ok
6. If it is not ok, check voltage between pin16 IC1 when you press read signature If you don't get voltage about 5V for about 1sec, maybe you have problem with IC1(not very possible)
7. If you measure correct voltage, you have error in circuit on path between pin16 IC1 and pin5 SV1

Select HW Settings on STK500 software. What voltage you see on VTarget and Aref?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:26:36 19:26 by dennis78 » Logged
avrlover

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 05:48:16 05:48 »

I have tested pin5 SV1 and ground it is 5 volts 2.6v on pin16 IC1 while read signature .
HW Settings on STK500 software.  VTarget = 5.2 and Aref = 5.0.
while keeping reset pin on target microcontroller low i read signature successfully so it is reset problem .
dennis78

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 08:44:16 08:44 »

Check component R16,T3,R19,D1,JP2 and connection around these components.

Do this experiment: Put resistor 10k between +5V and base of T3 and try to read signature.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...