The Godfather talking
You can run, but you can't hide.
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:17:34 04:17

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Theory of laptop speaker module  (Read 3227 times)
calabazas

Thank You
-Given: 152
-Receive: 6

« on: May 26, 2013, 11:53:29 11:53 »

I came across this small speaker module inside Samsung laptop. The sound quality is quite impressive considering the limited space it must adhere to. Wondering if anyone knows the sound/speaker theory behind it? And, who the major supplier or source I can look up to.

Thanks!
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 656
-Receive: 903

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:09:57 22:09 »

Need more views.

Does it have openings, for instance, or is it a sealed box? Sectioning it would be quite informative, though all of the dimensions are needed to fully analyze it.

I know on the old iMacs they used am enclosure made of clear plastic. It use a closed volume with a tuned port on it - they were among the first that I know of that used the long throw 25mm metal diaphragm drivers, which a lot of people seem to make nowadays.

I also seem to recall there were only three or so laptop makers - all in Taiwan and that the rest of the people slapped their own brand on them.
calabazas

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:20:55 01:20 »

About opening, the round thing on right side of picture is a regular speaker. That is the part same as normal speaker. On the far left side edge, there is one small hole with 2.5mm square opening. No more opening I can see.

As far as I know, this kind of speaker module is popular in mobile devices today. Lots of places are selling it such as ebay but nowhere I can find the theory side of it. In acoustic, chamber normally means non-moving fixture holding partitions.

Back to the device, with music playing, if I cover the right speaker opening up with a soft cloth, high freq attenuates but other freq ranges are still loud. The whole piece is emitting sound. That explains why all fastening screws all have soft rubber holding the "speaker" and allowing it to vibrate.

Curious
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 656
-Receive: 903

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:21:53 11:21 »

Can you tell if the opening is just an opening, or is it a channel/tube? This is where cutting it open provides insight.

I suspect the whole thing emitting sound was a cost/weight-budget decision in the volume/weight of plastic material used, not one made in the interest of high fidelity. Maybe I'm wrong, but there are plans out there for CONCRETE speaker boxes that boast about not having any cabinet wall resonant modes.
calabazas

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:17:10 00:17 »

The 2.5mm square hole looks like a channel. Someone will hate me if I cut it open. Will share it once I have some more samples.

Laptop speaker is for SPL (sound pressure level), not for fidelity. Issue is cannot produce loud enough sound and low enough freq. Resonating module solves volume issue. The whole module is suspended by multiple soft rubber washers with screw inner.
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:52:01 01:52 »

I believe the same theory of operation works for mobile phones as well.

There are some notes that could be produced using beat of different notes, and the beat amplitude could be higher than whatever the output that could be produced by the sounder alone.
The "box" is where the beats are produced, I believe you can get multiple frequency notes beats that would synthesize almost any notes.
Due to the fact that the notes are digitally produced, you can tune very precise note output to produce very close to pure note.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...