The Godfather talking
You think I am funny guy huh?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:11:50 16:11

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How about a "youtube" embedding button?  (Read 7674 times)
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« on: January 30, 2013, 12:33:20 00:33 »

Might be useful, more interesting, and fun, for Sonsivri to be able to link over to Youtube videos, spice it up a notch...bam!

This does not go against the video hosting rule, since only the player is embedded here.

How about a javascript button to allow us to embed Youtube so we can play it here as embedded without leaving the site?

I found some code (I'm clueless on BBCode creation), if it helps implementation:

BBCode usage
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v={SIMPLETEXT}[/youtube]

HTML replacement
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{SIMPLETEXT}"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{SIMPLETEXT}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Help line
[youtube]url[/youtube]
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:32:52 11:32 »

This forum engine is not efficient enough like vBulletin. I am always curious about adding features. Is it really that important?

- Houston, we have a problem.
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:26:19 02:26 »

I don't think it uses much bandwidth here with an embedded player, but I'm not certain.

Keeps people on the site vs wandering off if you embed the player. Also makes for a new type of category, and form of demo,/tutorial, to freshen things up a bit.

It's not THAT important, so if a hassle, don't bother, but I can see demos and hacks being a new section of the site after someone views and recommends a video (or makes one)

"Makers" are doing some interesting things and it's nice to see the device construction. and operation. Thinhs like homebrew CO2 lasers, as an example

The code does not seem complex (if what I posted, or something similar works...we have a new member here who's well versed in video on web pages) and if it eats too much bandwidth you can always cancel a beta trial of the feature.

I'm not going to battle for it, just an idea and thought it might be an interesting twist to the site.

Up 2U, as my Thai friends say
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:55 07:22 »

I dont't think site will serve the bandwith at all. We will generate the code to let visitor connect to server. The code I have to embed is a little bit more complicated. Your one is html, the result of the some functions. I don't trust smf forum engine anymore. We were having memory leaking problems almost 1 year ago. Server was returning busy messages always. I removed lots of modifications to solve the issue. From that day forward, I am not volunteer to spice the codes up.

I will read about it. Will give you the result here. Until that time, if someone else is thinking this feature is necessary, please discuss.

- Houston, we have a problem.
diaz

Thank You
-Given: 40
-Receive: 9

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:26:24 20:26 »

I'll second the embedded video feature, and the hacks section. There are some people doing some pretty awesome DIY things these days. It has turned Youtube from something I never bothered with into a pretty good learning portal.
Bobbla

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 16

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:23 21:58 »

Keeps people on the site vs wandering off if you embed the player.

I personally don't think its that important, but I know that the wandering happens once you hit the youtube page. You may start with something relevant, an hour later you read the top comment on a simpsons video; "I guess I ended up on this part of youtube again".

Also makes for a new type of category, and form of demo,/tutorial, to freshen things up a bit. It's not THAT important, so if a hassle, don't bother, but I can see demos and hacks being a new section of the site after someone views and recommends a video (or makes one). "Makers" are doing some interesting things and it's nice to see the device construction. and operation. Thinhs like homebrew CO2 lasers, as an example

meh, the way I see it is that the "Projects" section if for finished projects and if you need help there are a bunch of other sections related to programming and general electronics available. However I do wonder a little about "RTOS"- and "AI and Robotics" sections, the "RTOS" sections seems semi dead and the "AI and Robotics" sections look more like a books section. Both seem to have something in common with most of the stickies on this forum, not many look in em. But I digress, I do wonder a little about the a "demo"- and "tutorial" section. Like I said, finished projects seems to have a section and we have many help sections. An good example of a tutorial like section is the "Howtos & FAQs" section on the FreeBSD forum. Maybe something similar would be appropriate, but I do not see the need for another projects section.

Cheers  Cheesy
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:25 23:01 »

Frankly I HATE youtube posting of ideas with a passion.
It cannot be fast forwarded, it cannot be skimmed, you cannot "fast read" the content, the video quality is often very poor, the accent are difficult to understand.. etc.
Ok, some Utube videos are well presented, but most are just a diarrhea of nonsense babbling of some twit trying to show how important they are reinventing the wheel.
I have seen many utube morons, yapping for minutes without getting to the point on whatever the topic is...  goddam frustrating!

No I rather not have youtube linking.
Not necessary I say.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:55:55 23:55 »

Points in no order:

. I don't want to see the crap either, but some stuff, granted it's 0.001% or lower is worth a watch.
. It's nice if someone else can bring this to my attention.
. I won't cry if we don't get embedding, but I would defend a very small amount of the content on Youtube, that's kinda why it's worth sharing because the good stuff is so hard to find.
. I was on the fence about this, I like being able to read forum posts rather than watching them. I share the view that people may just post utter crap, and I don't want that one bit, it makes a mess of a thread.

. The hacking section again no big deal either way. Hacking for me tends to be a bit more cross discipline, a bit physics, electrical, electronics, software, mechanical, and that I like. Can you be an electronics fan without to some degree being a general technology fan ? But if Sonsivri wants just to be an oasis for electronics then I have no problem with that either.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:58:40 23:58 by diaz » Logged
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:04:18 01:04 »

I think all we're talking about here is just the ability to embed the video that you would have posted the direct link for anyways. That would offer the slight advantage of watching it right then and there instead of going offsite.
My concern would be to retain all the standard YouTube controls on the video. For example, could I watch it in HD if it was posted that way? What about captions / embedded text? If the embedding is a crippled, locked down version of the video, I say no way. I'm just as happy to "open in new tab" on the video.

Parmin, I fully agree that 95%+ of YouTube is utter crap. So I wouldnt watch most of the embedded videos anyhow just like I dont watch most of the direct links either...

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:19:33 04:19 »

The idea is that a member has already viewed it and believes is IS useful.Just as there are a million books out there, mostly irrelevant, there are not a million books being posted here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_PwEy2FNUs
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 11:48:53 23:48 »

Another good example of a diamond in the rough. Roughest looking co2 laser I have ever seen and it still works, very well to it seems. Taught me something.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:51:46 23:51 by diaz » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...