The Godfather talking
You think I am funny guy huh?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:59:50 04:59

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cookbooks thread  (Read 3724 times)
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« on: September 20, 2012, 12:47:38 12:47 »

Found this one in my travels. I think its around $600 for this 6 volume set of books written by the guy who made millions from Microsoft
----

A revolution is underway in the art of cooking. Just as French Impressionists upended centuries of tradition, Modernist cuisine has in recent years blown through the boundaries of the culinary arts. Borrowing techniques from the laboratory, pioneering chefs at world-renowned restaurants such as elBulli, The Fat Duck, Alinea, and wd~50 have incorporated a deeper understanding of science and advances in cooking technology into their culinary art.
How do you make an omelet light and tender on the outside, but rich and creamy inside? Or French fries with a light and fluffy interior and a delicate, crisp crust that doesn't go soggy? Imagine being able to encase a mussel in a gelled sphere of its own sweet and briny juice. Or to create a silky-smooth pistachio cream made from nothing more than the nuts themselves.

Modernist Cuisine offers step-by-step, illustrated instructions, as well as clear explanations of how these techniques work. Through thousands of original photographs and diagrams, the lavishly illustrated books make the science and technology of the culinary arts clear and engaging. Stunning new photographic techniques take the reader inside the food to see cooking in action all the way from microscopic meat fibers to an entire Weber grill in cross-section. You will view cooking and eating in a whole new light. A sampling of what you'll discover:

- Why plunging food in ice water doesn't stop the cooking process
- When boiling cooks faster than steaming
- Why raising the grill doesn't lower the heat
- How low-cost pots and pans can perform better than expensive ones
- Why baking is mostly a drying process
- Why deep-fried food tastes best and browns better when the oil is older
- How modern cooking techniques can achieve ideal results without the perfect timing or good luck that traditional methods demand

Many invaluable features include:
- Insights into the surprising science behind traditional food preparation methods such as grilling, smoking, and stir-frying
- The most comprehensive guide yet published on cooking sous vide, including the best options for water baths, packaging materials, and sealing equipment; cooking strategies; and troubleshooting tips
- More than 256 pages on meat and seafood and 130 pages on fruits, vegetables, and grains, including hundreds of parametric recipes and step-by-step techniques
- Extensive chapters explaining how to achieve amazing results by using modern thickeners, gels, emulsions, and foams, including example recipes and many formulas
- More than 300 pages of new recipes for plated dishes suitable for service at top-tier restaurants, plus recipes adapted from master chefs including Grant Achatz, Ferran Adria , Heston Blumenthal, David Chang, Wylie Dufresne, David Kinch, and many others
From the professional chef to the home cook, Modernist Cuisine is an indispensable guide for anyone who is passionate about the art and science of cooking.

Volume 1 begins with a historical survey that places the emergence of the Modernist cooking movement in its proper con-text, as just the latest in a series of transformational shifts in the culinary arts. The volume continues with a practical and authoritative walk through the basic biology of foodborne illnesses, how they spread, and how careful cooks can exploit the latest slow cooking techniques without putting them-selves or their guests at risk. Next, a provocative chapter on food and health examines many of the most common beliefs about what we should and should not eat to stay healthy-and finds disappointingly few that have survived careful scrutiny by the scientific community.

The volume concludes with two chapters that every cook should read to under-stand the two most fundamental ingredients of all cooking: heat and water. In the kitchen, we use these every day, in every dish. Yet even the most experienced cooks find themselves occasionally frustrated or bewildered by the unexpected ways in which heat moves into and through foods, and by the genuinely odd chemical and physical properties of water.

Written explicitly for cooks, these chapters present the fundamental science every culinary enthusiast should master. The engaging writing and highly illustrated format bring the subjects to life.

----
1.92GB

http://extabit.com/file/27a4dkiv6zq7v/Modernist.Cuisine.The.Art.and.Science.of.Cooking.part1.rar
http://extabit.com/file/27a4dkiv6zq57/Modernist.Cuisine.The.Art.and.Science.of.Cooking.part2.rar
http://extabit.com/file/27a4dkiv6zn2z/Modernist.Cuisine.The.Art.and.Science.of.Cooking.part3.rar
http://extabit.com/file/27a4dkiv6zn3v/Modernist.Cuisine.The.Art.and.Science.of.Cooking.part4.rar
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:52:56 12:52 by solutions » Logged
PaulC

Thank You
-Given: 3935
-Receive: 133

information is free and should be shared for free

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:42:22 18:42 »

give this to the missus
maybe get better food
lol

find it , read it , share it .
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 960

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:13:25 19:13 »

Written explicitly for cooks, these chapters present the fundamental science every culinary enthusiast should master. The engaging writing and highly illustrated format bring the subjects to life.
Will it be any good for us mere down to earth hobbyist chefs, or is it just for the Feinschmecker cook more conserned about presentation than taste

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:29 19:38 »

I think this may be the ONLY cookbook that'll satisfy the types of people we have here, which is why I posted it. We always want to know why - this is one of the few books that explains the WHY and HOW, written by a PHYSICIST, vs just being recipes (which it also has). This is what I had read at the book launch, and why I was drooling when I saw it online:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_47/b4204089237326.htm

Besides, most of the guys here are likely to have, or can build, some of the equipment. I'll bet that even a few have a 100 tonne press :-)
bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:39 22:38 »

I'll bet that even a few have a 100 tonne press

Bit much for garlic gloves don't ya think  Tongue

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
Magnox

Thank You
-Given: 976
-Receive: 279

Oink!

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:54:44 22:54 »

I think this may be the ONLY cookbook that'll satisfy the types of people we have here, which is why I posted it. We always want to know why - this is one of the few books that explains the WHY and HOW, written by a PHYSICIST, vs just being recipes (which it also has).

Having read the intro, I heartily agree! I have a passion for cooking, and I probably have as many cookery books as electronics books. Knowing how and why something works allows us to be creative, rather than simply, blindly, following recipes. Am I talking about cooking, or electronics...

Believe it or not, just last night I was researching snail breeding, with the idea of selling to restaurants. Always trying to find a way to make money. Did you know that the common garden snail is perfectly edible, and in fact was introduced here by the Romans for food? I'll stop throwing them over the neighbour's wall next time I find some, and pull up some garlic to go with them instead...
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:53 21:11 »

@solutions the links you posted in your first post. Require paid subscription. But I found some new links one of them was a good torrent link. Will post as soon as have read the "COOKING SOUS VIDE" section.

Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:02:54 13:02 »

New links

solutions

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 08:58:25 20:58 »

All but part-8 seem dead, 'Bob :-(
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 09:07:27 21:07 »

All but part-8 seem dead, 'Bob :-(
Darn they were OK then I posted. I tested to be sure. Well sorry for that links come and go

Magnox

Thank You
-Given: 976
-Receive: 279

Oink!

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:09 21:10 »

I got a copy from TPB:

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7153205/Modernist_Cuisine_-_The_Art_and_Science_of_Cooking_%5BVol_1-6%5D_%28HQ

It's a scan but is great quality so far. It's a really interesting read.
Nek

Thank You
-Given: 20
-Receive: 98

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 01:38:16 13:38 »

tested links in the attachment
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:08:46 15:08 by Nek » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...