Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:19:31 13:19

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Req] Invite functech  (Read 1601 times)
functech
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:19:24 19:19 »

CountryCanada
Sitenil
NoteLet me tell you something about myself and why you might want to invite me to join Sonsivri:

I've been into software development for almost 40 years! I started with writing FORTRAN via punch-cards at a terminal at my high school. That led to a Masters degree in Computer Science and then a 20 year career doing things like operating systems support, robotics software development (an automated tape library), network and infrastructure design and then PC remote support systems, amongst other things. Various SQL databases were used in the background on those systems.

Although I hate to admit it, I did a stint creating automated telephone systems, both the hardware configuration and development of reporting and management software for call centers. You know, those things that go, “your call is important to us, but not important enough for us to actually hire enough people to answer your call. . .”

I've always been an electronics hobbyist and very involved with technology. I've occasionally built some support hardware for the various technology systems I was involved in over the years.

I started out with various (now obsolete) mainframe programming languages, but in the last 15-20 years, most of the software development I've done has been in C and C++, with some excursions into .net and C#. Again, I don't like to admit it, but I've also written a bunch of VB and VBA (under Excel) as support systems for the business my wife runs.

I've retired from what I call full time corporate slavery, but I still pursue both electronics and software development as a hobby and an occasional business. My other interests include machining and metalwork (which I’m currently merging into a developing interest in CNC gear), photography (which I do a little bit professionally), and automotive stuff (I'm working on a Megasquirt for my Opel GT).

I currently run a small consulting company that works on hardware and software projects using PIC microcontrollers, which I generally program in C (using CCS and C18), but mainly I work on projects for my own interests.

Although by no means a software hacker/cracker, I have hacked a couple of systems for others when the manufacturer had locked up access to the raw database for an accounting system. As far as I know, my hack is still allowing a hardware store in the NW US implement their sale prices on a weekly basis without a stack of manual data entry work. This came out of my involvement with a forum dedicated to that accounting system.

I would like to be a member of Sonsivri for a couple of reasons.

- I would like to be able to contribute to the site. I think I have something to offer in the software area, especially with PICs and C and C++ software development and mechanical stuff. The years I spent in mainframe operating system support is still very relevant when working close to the hardware. I have worked a lot with low level multi-threaded code. I think I can offer much in that area.
- I have been hanging around as a guest for several years and would very much like to be able to thank those that have posted things that have been useful to me and contribute to various topics. It is a bit frustrating when I know the answer, but cannot provide it.
- I usually check in at Sonsivri at least once a week and I find that I would like to add something to a forum topic but cannot as a guest.
- I also have to admit that Sonsivri has been a great source of various books, documentation and tools for me over the last few years. I would like to be able to continue with that.

I am currently an active member at several forum sites (machining, automotive, software and photography based), and I think I am a good forum citizen. My post counts are not extremely high, since I tend not to post unless I have something intelligent to say that has not yet been said. I probably average 10-100 posts per year on most sites (it depends on how involved I am with that hobby at the time). I really hate the posts that just say “+1”, or “I don’t know anything about that, but somebody here should be able to help you”. If you don’t know, sit back, read, and learn something (and don’t reply with noise!).

I hope that someone will invite me to Sonsivri.

Thank you.
Invitation System
Invitation status : Person is registered and he/she is member now.
Permission : You cannot invite. Because you are guest.
Your credits : You have no invitation credits.

zuisti

Thank You
-Given: 242
-Receive: 780

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:57:49 20:57 »

This member is invited by me. Registration isn't completed yet.

Note: This message sent by the system behalf of zuisti.
FTL

Thank You
-Given: 170
-Receive: 33

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:02:42 21:02 »

Thank you for invitation. Registration is done.

Note: This message sent by the system behalf of FTL.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...