Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:40:04 14:40

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Constant voltage and constant current  (Read 3149 times)
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 540
-Receive: 408

« on: June 17, 2007, 06:48:32 18:48 »

is there a curcuit that can tell between constant current and constant voltage ?

What I want to do is build a power supply and have 2 LEDS one to show when it's set in constant voltage amd the ohter constant current

any ideas or links

wizpic

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
otter

Thank You
-Given: 200
-Receive: 2

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:41:16 21:41 »

My first thought would be to have two small load resistors that you can switch in and measure the output voltage under different load conditions; if a change in load does not alter the output voltage, then it must be operating in constant voltage mode.
Not very elegant. somebody may have a better solution.
Regards
Otter
FriskyFerret

Thank You
-Given: 513
-Receive: 360

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:29:32 14:29 »

Hint: If the power supply is in CC mode then it isn't in CV mode. If the power supply is in CV mode then it isn't in CC mode.

The mode the power supply is in is determined from the state of the current-limit circuit. If the CC circuit is active, illuminate the CC LED and extinguish the CV LED.

You're designing the most trivial part of the circuit first. You need to put in some book-time. Start by reading and re-reading the power supply chapters of The Art of Electronics. There is a section on fold-back current limiting. Though this is not CC, it will assist you in understanding the basics.

You should study the schematic and theory of operation of a very good power supply, one of the HP bench power supplies like the E3615A. It doesn't have to be that model, any older HP power supply manual will do as long as it has schematics and Theory of Operation section. You may be able to download some from HP (Agilent, now) directly or you can find them at internet manual dumps run by the amateur radio guys.

Dancing pants and leotards, that's what I'm talkin' about!
bird777

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 3

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:31:54 13:31 »

Here is an simple constant supply current generator:

http://rapidshare.com/files/77410003/08di41.pdf.html
twonuts

Thank You
-Given: 55
-Receive: 42

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:30:45 22:30 »

Check the datasheets for 78xx 3 leg fixed voltage regulators.
These can be used for either fixed voltage output, or constant current output depending on your circuit configuration. All the data on how to do this is usually included in the datasheet for the regulator used, with a number of schematics also.

As FriskyFerret says, you will need to switch between modes. The changeover switch can also be used to switch between leds. Simple to do and no need for any complicated circuits.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...