Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:47:22 10:47

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: need help to solve Problem with a fluorescent driver ckt...  (Read 3488 times)
Tahmeed

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 0

« on: June 20, 2011, 04:50:03 16:50 »

Hello everyone……….
Recently I’ve made a joule thief circuit. It consists of a BD243C transistor, a 22 ohms resistor and a hand wound toroid (4 : 60)…. It can lit up a blue LED (5V forward) with 3V battery n working nicely… then I thought to make a fluorescent tube driver ckt… so I made a transformer of 3 windings and attached it to the joule thief circuit replacing the toroid ( the core was from a broken old CFL lamp circuit). but this ckt isn’t working … I used a 3.7v old battery from a nokia phone(after charging it)... it's strong enough to lit up white LEDs. but doesn't work here..(problem is I have no 6 or 12 v battery n I wanna lit up a little 6w tube with this 3.7v battery)..when I connected the battery , for a moment I saw a dim flash in the tube...n then no response.i got d flash several times at the moment of connecting n disconnecting the battery but tube's not gonna lit up.... the circuit is given below… someone plz help me to find the problem in the ckt…
Thanx…..

solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:57:09 19:57 »

i think you don't have a low enough source impedance, and enough power, to drive current into the tube to keep it lit after you've established enough voltage to fire it.  Nothing a Tesla coil won't fix :-)
Tahmeed

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:39:30 21:39 »

thanx to solutions... oh sorry  Grin.. forgot to mention 1 thing... i got two old nokia bateries...n once i applied them both in series...multimeter was saying that the open ckt voltage was 7.2v. Cheesy.... but when i connected to ckt n switched on , suddenly voltage dropped to 2.4 volts.. Shocked
i astonished....... so as you r saying..... high source resistance is the criminal....so y sud I do now?? Is der any other solution to it for the same battery or i must use a new, good 6v battery?? Sad n i ddont have any tesla coil. Grin
tahmeed
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:33:13 22:33 »

find an old photo flash unit works on 3V

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 04:07:13 04:07 »

The battery is not the problem....yet, anyway.  Look up "fluorescent ballast" and you'll see what you need to do to run one off a battery, which I assume is what you are trying to do.
Tahmeed

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:58 20:18 »

thanx..I checked a no. of electronic ballasts... but they seems very hard to understand... i'm trying to make one d simplest way.. however i've got an idea.. one of my frnds said to me that if i drive the tube with a reasonably high frequency then d amp. needed to sustain d arc in tube will b low..normally joule thiefs give about 20 KHz... so i'm thinking of including a 555 ,100 KHz oscillator...resonate it..n taking voltage across the cap to fire tube.. once it lit.. cap'll be short..let's c what happens. . Smiley
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:31:18 22:31 »

Might work - that's how the Tesla coil lights one
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...