Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:43:39 16:43

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Holiday & Celebration Topic  (Read 8890 times)
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« on: January 27, 2010, 12:51:27 12:51 »

Thinking about the rule about banning Happy new year posts.
Holiday greetings are a selection of greetings that are often spoken with good intentions to strangers, family, or friends, in nations around the world, during the months of December and January.

I went over the posts about banning such posts and found only a few people were against such posts, (and over the holiday only two posts were made)
User's are maybe thinking it would change the forum, Strange thing is we received a few PM's wishing us a Happy new year and thanks for the work in forum.
Plus a few asking why is the ban in place, To answer this we are posting this poll. as we think is rule should be amended.

1. We set up a Holiday & Celebration Topic. (like google.com had on 4th Jan a Isaac Newton day, and like it or not, Most people celebrate holidays)
2. We Allow all holiday posts. (provided that no flame war is started, You don't have to read the posts if it may offend you)
3. All posts in this section are to be deleted by the poster (after celebrations end) or later by mods if not deleted by poster after some time.
4. If we ban all holiday posts (which I think would be a bad thing as we all Should learn to live with the noise from the party next door)

The 3 Options are:
1 = Yes
2 = No
3 = Maybe if no offence intended.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
kayvee

Thank You
-Given: 98
-Receive: 101

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:16:48 13:16 »

I assume these would carry no post count weight, i.e. in Others section.

Sounds fair enough.  My vote is in.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:19:30 13:19 by kayvee » Logged
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:47 13:17 »

Yep, it shouldn't increase post count. Also it is suggested post would be removed after some time passed, to keep forum clean.

- Houston, we have a problem.
oldvan

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 107

If the van is a Rockin'...

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:43 17:09 »

Celebrations are deeply personal and mostly connected to religious beliefs.  Religion has no place in scientific discussions, but is surely welcome in its place.

On the surface holiday wishes seem innocent enough, but to some they are terrible reminders of atrocities, etc. 

"Merry Christmas" to a Christian is a wonderful thing.  To a Buddhist it is just another day.  To a Native American it is potentially a slap reminding them of the “good Christian” European settlers who nearly annihilated their ancestors.

Every year on 4/20 Neo-Nazis celebrate Hitler’s birthday, but to be wished “Happy Hitler’s Birthday” is surely revolting beyond words to someone Jewish, knowing that Hitler’s armies slaughtered over 4,000,0000 of “God’s Chosen People” during World War II.

Radical Muslims worldwide celebrate 9/11 with great glee, but Americans from NYC surely do not desire to hear “Happy 9/11!!”

To allow one sect’s holiday wishes should include welcoming ALL celebration wishes, and will guaranteed become offensive to many at some point.

I remain in favor of NO CELEBRATIONS rule being kept in place.  To lose even one member over holiday wishes is still an unnecessary loss and decreases the value of the forum.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will sit around in a boat drinking beer all day.
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:19:16 17:19 »

"No celebration" is talked and decided. But it doesn't fit to our motto, knowledge must be free and universal. We are banning people to use their celebrations. Of course happy'ing Hitler's birthday is not accepted, because he is a war criminal and Germany is now paying the price. It is world accepted fact. Also celebrating 9/11 is not belong to peace, and cannot tolerated here. Else, anyone can come up with "Happy .... mankind day" (swearing in the blanks) and curse to all mankind while naming in celebration.

We can draw the line between celebrations and let some can be celebrated. Line could be: within the peace boundaries. Happy Chritsmas doesn't hurt anyones peace, and same is correct for Eid Mubarek.

pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:21:41 19:21 »

If no offence intended, then I for one would not police any such posts in the forum. But for a Happy 911 or the 4,20's  or other known or reported post, then I would mute the poster for 666 days.

If you don't give and take then there will never be peace in the world.
Would any company sell more by saying "this was built by (insert here xxxx) on (holiday), next step to save hackers this program was writen by xxxxx.

This poll was for general happy holiday, not a religious quest.
"No celebration" is talked and decided, also the post's that say Thank god but don't say which god by name, or the saying FFS does the 2nd F refer to a god or an act?

oldvan

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 107

If the van is a Rockin'...

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:44:09 20:44 »

If you don't give and take then there will never be peace in the world.

I agree, PEACE is beyond all doubt the most important concept.   Cool

My examples were purposely picked to be extreme.  I doubt such radicals would have the
inclination to share electronics insigts.  They would be too buy killing each other, etc.
and extremely unlikely to turn up someplace civilized like Sonsivri.

Quote from: pickit2
I would mute the poster for 666 days.
I like your choice of numbers.   Shocked

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will sit around in a boat drinking beer all day.
LabVIEWguru

Thank You
-Given: 270
-Receive: 593

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 02:14:02 02:14 »

Why do we bother? We have email to wish someone a "Merry Christmas" or "Happy EID." We are scientists, engineers, hackers, (in the old sense) software developers and tinkerers. I am a Fundamentalist Christian. A Muslim might be offended by my post when otherwise we might have a nice exchange about a piece of software. I celebrate the birthday of the United States Marine Corps. Some of my engineer friends in other countries may not be too excepting of that. Many Catholic peoples in Europe still celebrate the slaughter of my ancestors. I am offended at that. Why don't we just keep it as "I wish you Peace and Good Will" and leave it at that? Or maybe the Vulcan "Live long and Prosper."  By the way, pickit2, I REALLY like your Avatar. That was a very good movie!
Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 04:15:00 16:15 »

I vote for NO, doesn't mean that I can not accept people celebrating things - no problem at all given that in proper and fair way.

But I am pleased with the existing condition, people still can celebrate things in a more personal channel. When people get punished, it is not because they celebrate something but because they go against the rule.

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
pl4tonas

Thank You
-Given: 318
-Receive: 195

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 05:12:54 17:12 »

I vote YES since I can learn the habits and culture of other people of the planet that are not familiar to me so far.
Shinta

Thank You
-Given: 20
-Receive: 3

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 02:01:08 02:01 »

Yes!!!!.... It looks like a great idea  Cheesy
mhtplsh

Thank You
-Given: 46
-Receive: 61

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:44 11:28 »

This is like sharing our joy with fellow members.
It must not be for religious publicity.
OscarH

Thank You
-Given: 149
-Receive: 13

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 08:40:15 20:40 »

Hi,

I honestly don't care. I am in the middle of 4 differents feeling justifying this position :
 - I don't like to be forced to go through this kind of message I don't feel involved in.
 - Why should I decide to ban something that is important to somebody (he/she spend some time in writing it) only because I disagree or don't care.
 - Sonsivri is somehow a technical / high level forum, so what could justify this kind of post to be here ?
 - Could this kind of post polute the forum ? Does it polute more than 'stupid' question already answered simply because poster didn't searched the forum first ?
Hope there is no offending there, just to say it is not easy to take decision on your own feeling.
Cheers.

All mushrooms are edible. At least once...
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 09:29:57 21:29 »

In fact OscarH you summarized my feelings. Being objective, I just apply people's decision.

pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 09:31:50 21:31 »

- Could this kind of post polute the forum ? Does it polute more than 'stupid' question already answered simply because poster didn't searched the forum first ?Cheers.
Good point That is what we think too, we the mods would not have to police holiday messages, as they are in resticted zone (with Rules about what could be posted), outside this area and we will punish poster.
Thank you posts, and double posting are a more of a problem, over the last holiday, I seen only two happy posts, and it's not a great deal, not to read them, What I think the poll is about, do we need to punish any member for posting happy xxx.day.

SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 08:53:06 08:53 »

And result is apr. %20 have objection and rest is ok with celebrations (with half of them agree on "if no offsensive".)

That "if no offensive" side is foggy, how no offensive? Some can still complain about, for example: "they cannot celebrate our Prophet's killing". I think they could be able to celebrate it, and these should be allowed: "happy xx day to all", "I feel completed when I live as zz religion, happy xx"... Its ok in celebration context. We won't interfere their actions, until someone writes this "if only we could make him suffer more", "he died, what a wonderful thing"... These last words are not celebration, those are political ideas and more, those are hate speech. This should be banned, rest could be ok.

pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 09:30:18 21:30 »

Well This topic is now coming up to 1 month since last post. and there has been no Celebration posts, that means we don't need to police such posts.
Thats the good news, now the bad, If your going to post, think first "I'm I going to upset anyone with my post" and if the answer is "No" then Post.
But be warned upset someone and they will report it, then we have to take action if it's needed.

3v0
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 09:03:26 21:03 »

I say YES.

I would think people could keep the greetings sane.
I suggest we assume that is the case unless they prove otherwise.

3v0
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...