Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 07:42:10 07:42

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Print
Author Topic: Open-Source multipurpose interactive embedded systems Microcontroller kit  (Read 109857 times)
wedo

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 51

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 06:04:57 06:04 »

Thanks for your kind comments!

1. A linear 5V Power Supply: You can add a transitor across 7805 so that it can source much current may be with TIP122 2-3 amps. so we don't need any  additional power supply. See the attached image. I can give eagle files if you want.

That is right. Actually I was thinking about using SMPS instead of the Linier PS.

3. Add 74HC154 , 4 to 16 decoder.

For what?

4. Also you can think to add 12 bit ADC using MAX188 & 16 bit port expander using MCP23S17. I can give you eagle files if you are interested in.

Nice Idea! Please attach a schematic design here for all.

7. Also add the commercially easily available Tx-Rx module interface. Also note that output voltage given by most of the receiver module is not directly compactible with microcontroller (My experience  taught me this). So if possible add comparator (using LM324 /LM339) at output stage of receiver module.

Could you please explain more! Unclear idea. Please provide a schematic.

Add MOC 3043 based solid stage relay interface, IR pair interface if possible.

There are already two mechanical relays, should be replaced with the SS-relay>?

10. Keep provision for adding external 64k ram (like 62512 - 64k,62256-32k) useful when large data storing required.

External Rams usually used with 32bit microcontrollers, because of the high functionality and speed. With 8bit MCU, no need for Xram! ATmega128 has 4KB SRAM which is sufficient for any project unless you need to control large LED-Matrix-Display.

12. While writing the codes if possible use MikroC compiler, it has wide variety of redymade libs. and also MikroC compiler is available for PIC,8051 and AVR hence if a newbie learns any one out of them.

The source code and the manual has already setup to use Bascom-AVR,  which is very good IDE for newbie and professional users. I have been using this IDE from 5years, even in commercial project (10,000 lines of instructions) .

Hope that you add more of your nice ideas, and provide a schematic design for each that people here can get benefit of.

Regards,
wedo
arash_tah

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 6

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 04:52:59 04:52 »

please upload the source code we are waiting for that!
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 06:02:28 06:02 »

please upload the source code we are waiting for that!

I will upload so soon... Pease be patient!

wedo,
usrrsr

Thank You
-Given: 11

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 05:00:46 17:00 »

Hi wedo

1. I have attached the sch eagle file for max188,mcp23s17,power supply and 4 to 16 decoder. 3.3V supply can be generaed using smd 3.3 v regulator chip which can source upto 1 amps.
2. 4 to 16 decoder is required as if you use multiple spi devices like mcp23s17 or max188 then it is not advisable to devote micro 
   controller port io pin to it. hence it is reqd.
3. In rf pair which are available in market outpul low level logic voltage is in the range of input high logic of microcontroller. hence
   whatever data you send on rf trx, uC will read all logic high. hence it is required see the attached file for more details.
4. Yes, you may think to replace relay with  MOC 3043 based solid stage relay interface because it weigh few grams and din't need any
    diver transistor or ULN2803. You can use that with USB embebed uC like 18F4450 without any external power supply.
5. External RAM is required when you want to logged data at higher sampling rate like ADC result for a longer duration because of which
    it can't be possible to store it and stop reading ADC.
6. If you have done it with Bascom-AVR then there is no way. Include algorithms if possible so code can be formated for any comipler 
7. Add DTMF decoder using MT8870 interface with telephone PCB mounted socket.
8. Also if you add provision for CC2500 / CC1100 ti rf transceiver IC then it would be highly appreciable.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 05:22:34 17:22 »

Hi Usrrsr,

Very nice ideas... I do like all.

I will consider your suggestion in the final revision.

I'm looking for more ideas, come on guys!
pasanlaksiri

Thank You
-Given: 143
-Receive: 59

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 04:57:39 04:57 »

Wooow Super Coool. Do u hv any dev board PCB for PICs.

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 02:09:23 14:09 »

Wooow Super Coool. Do u hv any dev board PCB for PICs.

unfortunately I don't! I'm not interrested in Microchip's MCUs!
charudatt

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 70

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 09:14:45 21:14 »

Do u hv any dev board PCB for PICs.

Lets review the response and outcome of this (AVR) board and it should not be difficult to design a PIC Development board.

regards.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 09:48:37 09:48 »

Lets review the response and outcome of this (AVR) board and it should not be difficult to design a PIC Development board.

regards.

You are absolutely right. All that you need is to replace the MCU module with PIC compliable one. I mean, the peripherals are always same, but you need to consider the pins connections.

wedo,

usrrsr

Thank You
-Given: 11

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 03:46:07 15:46 »

Attached is DTMF decoder eagle schematic for your ready ref.
Also for reference volatge you can use LM5050-4 shunt reference.
charudatt

Thank You

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 07:30:51 19:30 »

Hello Wedo,

Can you share with us the present status (or progress) of (y)our development and maybe your target date or goal when you would call off for the feedback from this forum. For the lack of information from your side, it looks to me that we are waiting for the "Second Coming".................  Grin

U really seem to be good in incorporating all these feedback on your board. In my opinion, you would surely  put all the other developers to shame...........  Grin

great work ! keep it up.

regards.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 11:04:10 11:04 »

Hello Wedo,

Can you share with us the present status (or progress) of (y)our development and maybe your target date or goal when you would call off for the feedback from this forum. For the lack of information from your side, it looks to me that we are waiting for the "Second Coming".................  Grin

U really seem to be good in incorporating all these feedback on your board. In my opinion, you would surely  put all the other developers to shame...........  Grin

great work ! keep it up.

regards.

Hi Charudatt,

Thanks for your post here!

First of all, I didn’t say that I will call-off the feedback here!
Anyway, let me tell you the story of this kit.

When I was a student at the faculty of EEE in Aleppo University, we had no Microcontroller Lab there, we were still dealing with Z80 and 8086. I proposed to the faculty that I can provide MCU-8051 kits to be taught instead of Z80, actually that was in 2004, also I offered a full learning system (Lab lectures), but the propose has denied!

Once I graduated, I applied to the diploma prgram and started teaching in the Lab, guess what I taught?
Embedded systems Microcontroller, of course. Then I thought back again in the 2nd year, which was a big factor for all students to work on MCUs.

In the first year, the student had to use the simulation (Proteus) instead of hands-on lab, which gave me an idea to design an AVR kit that can serve all students in all departments at the EEE faculty, and the kit in your hand has came out as an open-source for everyone.

Now, I’m looking to make the final prototype and put it in mass-production, to be sold later in very special price (USD120) for all educational institutions and for students.

The point is, if you need to improve your experience, you need to share what you have with other people first, accept their feedback, and put yourself in the place of learner even if you are already high class developer or teacher.

It’s triangular benefit, Students learn from teacher, students learn from Students, and the teacher learn from students.

By the way, I’m working on my master project which is an interactive learning paradigm for teaching EEE students programming Embedded systems FPGAs using next generation programming languages.

Kindest regards,

Wedo
Embedded systems R&D Engineer

kigba
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 11:57:15 11:57 »

since it is open source, why you don't share your stuff
stop leeching ideas for your design.
I agree with Charudatt, i think when you complete the design you
will leave this forum and share nothing.
by the way price like (120$) is not special in Syria. So your goal is Huh
I hope I'm wrong.
Regards.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 01:40:41 13:40 »

since it is open source, why you don't share your stuff
stop leeching ideas for your design.
I agree with Charudatt, i think when you complete the design you
will leave this forum and share nothing.
by the way price like (120$) is not special in Syria. So your goal is Huh
I hope I'm wrong.
Regards.

No comments...
charudatt

Thank You

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 09:43:48 21:43 »

Hello wedo,

I do respect your commitment to help others and I wish you all the best.

But I still don't see a reply to my question. Yes, this learning and feedback process can be a never ending story, and you need to freeze it somewhere. It's not that the feedback would stop , in fact, you can get more feedback for future versions once you roll out your ideas. IMHO, I feel, you surely have got a good feedback from your earlier version for you to share with us some progress.

Anyway , its upto you on how you keep the interest alive.

regards

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 07:11:33 07:11 »

Hello Charudatt ,

Thanks for your kind post.

I don't mind to share here all information I have, actually it's my point!

In recent times, I'm extremely busy! I need to get a free time to test some ideas on the kit and process the final prototype. I didn't revise the first version yet. The kit is under request now.

Once I finish the final version, I will upload here, in the meanwhile, I'm going to upload the version in my hand now, despite I have already uploaded as pictures, but no problem, it's better getting feedback from people like "kigba".

I will upload the examples as well, but please give me some space to do that, I'm not free all the time.

cncbasher

Thank You
-Given: 107

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 12:55:38 12:55 »

Hi Wedo,
As a R&D Engineer
may i first congratulate you on a good design layout .

However may i make a few recommendations , remove the LPT printer port and the smart card , they are old and not now extensively used  programmers now are moving to USB and newer PC's are not fitted with printer ports , also the addition of a USB host connector would move the project forward for use by the new generaton of engineers ! , look at emerging technologies and support them , this will give the board a more useful life span in the future .

also add pads on the motherboard around the cpu header , so each pin can be brought out for attaching probes or even other boards using jumper wires etc
also make the cpu crystal removable i.e board header pins , not every design is required to run at a single crystal speed etc

i would be happy to help once you post design files so many of us more experienced , will be able to guide you in your endevours , however the more you think the ideas the more you will change the layout , and it will never be finished ! , better to hold at one point and release , use the boards in the lab then if need be update later based on your student experiences and feedback . 

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 10:58:32 22:58 »

Hello cncbasher,

Thanks for your kind congratulation and comments here!

Concerning the LPT programming interface, it will be replaced by USB-STK500v2 programming interface in the final version.

As per the additional USB host, I thing you mean normal USB plug connector (USB<>UART interface using FT2323R)! USB host requires additional chip which allows the system to adopt USB devices, such as: MP3, Flash, etc.

Regarding the SmartCard, this is not old technology! It's already used in many applications!

Adopting Emerging Technologies, sure, but I would refer here that there are two kinds of development boards:

1-   Educational development kits: Like we have done here, this kind should include most common and simple used peripherals; the most users will be a newbie!

2-   Commercial development boards: Thus kind used as an embedded system hardware for prototyping, will contain complex and specific features for a particular application.

Generally, when we speak about Emerging Technologies, that means we speak about the 2nd sort of Dev. Boards.
Anyway, it's very good idea.

About adding pads on the motherboard around the MCU, that is already done! If you check the schematic design you will find that all MCU pins are brought-out and provided by pull up/down resistors which can be Enabled/Disabled via dip-switches.

About making the MCU crystal removable, actually there is a jumper on the top of MCU module that allows to connect/disconnect the external crystal (16MHz). Please check the MCU module schematic.

I would be happy too to share all of you the design files. Please check the attached files are the schematic and board for both MCU module and Motherboard!

P.S. Eagle5.6 is required to open the files!

Looking forward to getting your thoughtful feedback!

Wedo,
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:27:23 07:27 by wedo » Logged
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 05:35:28 17:35 »

I knew that once uploading the design files, no feedback is going show up!
cncbasher

Thank You
-Given: 107

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 07:23:38 19:23 »

some of us do have jobs , unfortunatly i dont use eagle , hopfully a few days and you will have some feedback from me , as promised
Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2009, 03:48:24 15:48 »

Hi Wedo,

I just had a chance to open your design, that is great, I believe it took a lot of day and night of yours to finish it.

If you ever create a new thread something like "Contribute application for Wedo's board", then I will push myself hard to fill it.

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2009, 07:30:16 19:30 »

Hi Wedo,

I just had a chance to open your design, that is great, I believe it took a lot of day and night of yours to finish it.

If you ever create a new thread something like "Contribute application for Wedo's board", then I will push myself hard to fill it.

-ichan

Hi ichan,

Thanks for your kind post here!

Sure, this design has taken long nights and days, not for designing the PCB, this was the easiest stage, but for designing the peripherals in the right direction.

I wished that I could have more feedback from the friends here, but I got non after I had posted the design files!
All the feedbacks that have been offered so far are not what I'm looking for! They are all surface, nothing professional.

Anyway, I have a plan to build a novel embedded microcontroller development board for XMEGA series, but after I finish my Master project, which may be interesting for you, it's about an educational paradigm for teaching under-graduate students programming embedded systems FPGA based using graphical languages (LABVIEW).

Thanks again & regards,
wedo

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:36:43 19:36 by wedo » Logged
mabd

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 16

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2009, 10:07:41 22:07 »

0- software software software is the real key for training students.
1- I think the price is high. for 120$ people would go to some other known brands.
2- may be you should develop a smaller board and remove old components.
3- make modules, so, people can add what they need.
4- consider new components, serial spi dac, digital potentiometer, new opamp,
5- some components may not be useful for beginners like GLCD
6- with students i always find breadboard very handy and cheaper
7- in syria and lebanon, you can find different suppliers for "mass production". I am sure.

regards and best wishes from egypt.
arash_tah

Thank You
-Given: 18

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2009, 05:22:53 17:22 »

Wedo please upload some example code and firmware your hard ware look perfect
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 07:24:13 19:24 »

Dear Friends,

You can download the full lectures with source codes from the folloing link:

http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=67

Good luck

wedo
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...