Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:25:20 04:25

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Print
Author Topic: Open-Source multipurpose interactive embedded systems Microcontroller kit  (Read 109855 times)
wedo

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 51

« on: September 25, 2009, 07:30:26 19:30 »

Hello my Friends,

I would like here to post a design of an Open-Source multipurpose interactive embedded systems Microcontroller kit for laboratory education.

The kit development aimed at designing a universal training board that can cover a wide range of experiments for the electronics, communication, control, and power departments of the electrical and electronics engineering.

The kit has followed in the designing process all standards, so it can utilize any AVR MCU or any SPI protocol compatible one. The MCU programming can be done by all GNU based compilers with both low-level (ASM) and high-level (Basic, Pascal, C, or C++.) MCUs programming languages.

Many peripherals have been placed on the board to enrich its universality. About 70 different experiments (on basic, intermediate, and advanced level) have been developed.

There has been 47 peripherals unit selected and the units were placed on the board in a way that saves a comfortable working space and separates the elements of each unit from the other units.

Since a good planned student-centric approach has proven effectiveness in engaging students, the experiments manual was designed in a student-centred manner, so that the students can perform proceed with the experiment and develop the aimed skills without a need of teacher supervision.

A detailed description including schematics, experiments, and How to Build recipe have been made available for the students as an open source to enable them to build their own board, and give them even more deeper centric role in this experiential part of engineering.

It is planned to put these resources on the web making the prototype available to implement for any practicing engineering student. It is hoped that the open source approach will attract academic staff and/or students to develop more experiments based on the rich peripheral components of the kit.

The average cost of building our board is about 120$, while any similar commercial kit will cost more than 700$.

Selection of the designed experiments has been taught in Spring 2008/2009 for about 65 students in the Electrical Engineering faculty at Aleppo University.

So, here we go. I will put the whole system between your hands.

I will start partitive posting (section-by- section) here in order to avoid very long page.

I will try to post the:
-   Schematic and layout design.
-   Information about the peripherals and design.
-   Experiments and source codes.

P.S. Unfortunately the manual and hands-on course are in Arabic language. I've plan to setup them in English soon.

If you have any question about the design, please don't hesitate to replay!

Wedo,

spasbyspas

Thank You
-Given: 718
-Receive: 364

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:07:22 22:07 »

Hi "wedo", congratulations to project! Will they support the project, keep with the theme! For interpreter use http://translate.google.com
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 02:49:21 14:49 »

The Kit Block Diagram:

The MCU ATmega128 is the kit core and it is linked with the kit peripherals such as a Liquid Crystal Display LCD through I/O ports. It is linked with the kit serial communication units, e.g. CAN, RS232, USB, RS485, PS2, I2C, and 1-wire through the serial interfaces. It is linked with the analog sensors, e.g. temperature or pressure, through Analog to Digital (AD) convertors. It utilizes the external interrupts I/O ports to interface with the switch buttons and the rotary encoder. The serial port I2C is connected with the data memory EEPROM (AT24C512 chip), and the real time chip RTC (DS1307 chip).

The serial port SPI is connected with the programming unit (STK300) of the MCU and the voice chip APR6016, it is also linked with an MMC card and a data flash memory (AT25xx). The serial port UART0 is connected with USB interface (FT232R chip) and with COM port through RS232 protocol for facilitating PC connection. The serial port UART2 is connected with a CAN port for facilitating industrial communication purposes. The Figure below shows the kit block diagram. All peripherals that needs external communication with the surrounding world are linked to the grey boxes.

Posted on: September 26, 2009, 08:04:23 08:04 - Automerged

Here below Some of the Hands-on Experiments that can be done with the kit:
1.   Programming the MCU ports for displaying LEDs light movements
2.   Interfacing switches with the MCU ports
3.   Interfacing 4x4 Hexadecimal Array Keypad (16key) with the MCU
4.   Interfacing and programming the MCU with a 20x4 LCD
5.   Interfacing and programming the MCU with a 128x4 GLCD
6.   Interfacing and scanning Quad seven-segment display
7.   IR remote control sender/receiver based on RC5 code
8.   Data Transfer using RF Transmitter based on FSK modulation
9.   Interfacing and programming the MCU with Real-time clock chip
10.   DAC by Interfacing 8-bit ladder network with the MCU
11.   Programming the MCU analog comparator unit
12.   Digital Frequency counter/meter 1HZ – 4MHz
13.   Measuring the luminous intensity (Flux) using LDR
14.   Measuring the barometric pressure and altitude using a Barometer
15.   Interfacing with the LM35DZ analog temperature sensor
16.   Storing Data using MMC/SD card in FAT23 format
17.   Programming Smart-Card with high-security software algorithms
18.   Interfacing and Programming 32x8pixel LED-Matrix scrolling Display
19.   Speed control of DC motor using  PWM
20.   Interfacing the MCU with PC using RS232 protocol
21.   wide area data transfer using the industrial CAN protocol
22.   Interfacing with RS485 for wide area data transfer Digital Scientific calculator by Interfacing  LCD (liquid crystal display) and Hexadecimal Keypad with AVR MCU.
23.   Adjustable Signal Generator (Sin, Cos, Smooth, Triangular, square) by Interfacing  GLCD (Graphical liquid crystal display), button Keys, and variable resistor with AVR MCU.
24.   RC5 code based, IR (Infrared) remote control sender/receiver, by interfacing IR receiver module unit and IR transmitter diode with AVR MCU.
25.   Obstacle detection using IR transmitter.
26.   Interfacing Barometer with AVR MCU for measuring barometric pressure and altitude.
27.   Interfacing RTC (Real Time Clock) chip (DS1307) for real time application.
28.   Speed control of DC motor using  PWM (Pulse width modulation)
29.   Interfacing 8-bit ladder network with AVR MCU for DAC purpose.
30.   Interfacing RS485 converter with UART serial interface for long area data transfer
31.   Interfacing AVR MCU with PC using RS232 converter and USART serial interface
32.   Digital Frequency counter/meter 1HZ – 4MHz
33.   Programming Smart-Card with high-security software algorithms using the AES and DES symmetric-key algorithm
34.   Storing Data using MMC/SD card in FAT23 format
35.   Resistance and Capacitance Digital Meter
36.   Wireless data transfer using IR 38KHz (Infrared) based on Ir-Data Protocol
37.   Wireless data transfer using RF 433MHz (Radio Frequency) based on FSK modulation
38.   wide area data transfer using the industrial CAN protocol for
39.   Digital to Analog conversion using 8-bit Ladder network
40.   Programming 32x8pixel LED-Matrix scrolling Display
41.   Interfacing with LM35 analog temperature sensor (-45ºC ~ +125ºC)

Also, some of the experiments were provided with Simulation using Proteus.

Posted on: September 26, 2009, 03:14:34 15:14 - Automerged

Here is the PCB design of the Kit.

Top Layer:

Botton Layer:

All Layers:

Schematic is coming...
samud
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:55:24 14:55 »

do u have the gerber file for PCB?
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 06:24:32 18:24 »

Yes Samud, I have the gerber files.

I will post here the schematic and PCB eagle files later, but first, I would post the design to be discussed by any interested people, so that we can all get benefit of the ideas and develop the design further.

If I give you the whole design directly, you will simulate the design without any idea about it. Sure you will have your own perfect kit and use it for develop your MCU project, but I'm looking here to develop Embedded hardware and software design skills, which are my specialization. Let's try to learn. We all have something important to offer.

By the way, this design is version.1, I'm working on version.2 which will be shared here as well very soon.

If you have any question about the peripherals and their connections, I will be glad to answer.

Wedo,
Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 07:55:36 19:55 »

That is a good PCB Layout, designed for double sided non pth DIY pcb, I believe you route it manually - not using autorouter.

For discussion people need the the schematic for sure.

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 08:38:04 20:38 »

Yes Ichan, the PCB routing has been done by hand, Aurorouter has never been used in this design. It seems you have a good experience in PCB design to figure out that.  Smiley

Anyway, you will check the PCB.brd (Eagle) design file by yourself later.

Wedo,

Posted on: September 26, 2009, 09:30:26 21:30 - Automerged

The MCU Module:

The MCU has designed to be located on a separated module so that can be replaced any time by another proper MCU module (in case of damage, for example).

Here below is the MCU module schematic and PCB design.

MCU Module Schematic:

MCU Module Layout:

The design has considered Internal 8MHz/External 16MHz/RC oscillator, and RTC 32KHz oscillator.

EMC and EMI considerations has been taken in consider as well.

The peripherals schematic will be followed soon.

SFx

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 235

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 07:54:59 07:54 »

You are supported by a lot of set of interface standards, and why Ethernet is not provided?
In addition you can offer to install connector for GSM / GPRS / GPS module. e.g. Sim300.
Also, Now it is very useful to use ZigBee
Thank you for developed such an interesting card for debugging, I'll wait PCB files and schemes
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 08:32:59 08:32 »

SFx,

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, there are thousands of peripherals, modules, and solutions in the world, I can’t setup all on one single board!

Ethernet surly is important, but it has complicated HW and a lot of components; GSM / GPRS / GPS modules are all interesting to be interfaced, therefore, the kit MCU pins have pulled-out and provided with pull up/down resistor (10K) with ability to activate or disactivate this resistor.

There are 50 I/O at the sides of the board in your Lordship. For instance: You can purchase an Ethernet module (anyone you like from any brand) and connect with SPI interface or any proper serial interface. The same for GPS module, most of GPS modules have UART interface, and so on.

Briefly, too much time spent before I got started designing this kit. I had a lot of idea about setup an Ethernet, TCP/IP, Stepper motor driver interface, etc…

The installed peripherals are the most important set for the newbie and junior learner.
iphone

Thank You
-Given: 115
-Receive: 10

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 05:40:37 17:40 »

Wedo,

Good progress.

Hope I can learn much more from you and this discussion.

I'm waiting ...
Ichan

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 06:09:44 18:09 »

I'll start to discuss:
1. I would add some 100n smd capacitor between pin 21-22, 52-53, 62-63, 64-63
2. No low pass filter for AREF?
3. VCC1 and VCC2 not connected yet?

-ichan

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 06:43:25 06:43 »

I'll start to discuss:
1. I would add some 100n smd capacitor between pin 21-22, 52-53, 62-63, 64-63
2. No low pass filter for AREF?
3. VCC1 and VCC2 not connected yet?

-ichan

Great! Here we go...

1-   100nF Decoupling Capacitors:
To reduce the EMI radiation (EMI reduction) and to prevent impulse noisy operation current, a 100nF capacitor should be placed as close as possible to the power pins.

For that reason our friend Ichan has suggested to place coupling capacitors next to the power pins.

These capacitors are already placed, they are at the sides of  the schematic, C3, C4, C6, C8, and C9.

Very important and interesting PCB design consideration references are in the below links:

AVR040: EMC Design Considerations
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1619.pdf
AVR042: AVR Hardware Design Considerations
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2521.pdf

2-   Low Pass filter for AREF:
Usually the AREF pin doesn’t required LPF (Low pass filter), because the reference voltage will be provided by an external Voltage reference source which is already has its own LPF. Moreover, there is no direct connection between the analog components and the VREF pin. We will come later to the VREF circuitry.

3-   VCC1 and VCC2 not connected yet:
Right. At the module they are not, in order to simplify the circuit. They are connected on the main board. More decoupling capacitors are exist on the main board.

Very nice suggestions. Let us suggest providing a reference for any incoming suggestion, I mean anyone can ask question, or suggest a better solution supported by a reference.

Wedo,
goktug

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 23

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 11:02:50 23:02 »

Wedo you have done a great job.
Thanks for your sharing...
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:17:03 22:17 »

Sorry for being late posting the schematic of the Main Board; my last days was very crowded!

OK…
Here below is the main board that hold the MCU Module (above).

1-   The MCU Module holder socket:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:23:49 22:23 - Automerged

2-   A linear 5V Power Supply:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:30:16 22:30 - Automerged

3-   The I/O expansion connectors and the Pull up/down resistors:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:33:22 22:33 - Automerged

4-   Interrupts Switches, LEDs, Hexadecimal keypad:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:36:23 22:36 - Automerged

5-   The programming Interface, STK200/300:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:38:55 22:38 - Automerged

6-    The USART0 and USART1 Debugging Interfaces:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:40:59 22:40 - Automerged

7-   20x4 LCD and 128x64 GLCD:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:44:58 22:44 - Automerged

8-   Serial 24Cxxx EEPROM and RTC chip DS1307, I2C interfaces:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:48:11 22:48 - Automerged

9-   Quad Seven-Segments Display:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:50:42 22:50 - Automerged

10-   16x8 LED-Matrix Display:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 10:52:40 22:52 - Automerged

11-   RS485 Interface:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 11:02:54 23:02 - Automerged

12-   8-bit R-2R Ladder Network (DAC):

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 11:05:00 23:05 - Automerged

13-   RC5 Code based, Transmitter and Receiver:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 11:07:33 23:07 - Automerged

14-   AT Keyboard/Mouse and MMC/SD card interfaces:

Posted on: October 11, 2009, 11:13:08 23:13 - Automerged

15-   The Basic Card and ASK Transceivers Modules:

There is more parts will be added soon… In the meanwhile, your questions are welcome.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 05:42:32 17:42 »

16-   Analog Sensors Set: Linear Voltage, Temperature, NTC, Light, Single-Pin-Multi-Switch, and the analog voltage reference.

17-   Pressure/Altitude Sensor circuit:

18-   Speaker Output, 1-wire Temp Sensor, and Capacitance Humidity Sensor.

Posted on: October 12, 2009, 06:29:12 18:29 - Automerged

19-   USB interface and STK500v2 Programmer:

The design circuits are almost completed. There are the LAN interface which I handled in the new version of the kit, so we are not gonna post now.

I will start uploading the 'Experiments source code (Examples)' and the 'Experiments hands-on Manual soon.
P.S. The manual and hands-on course will be uploaded here are in Arabic language!

If you have any question about the design, please don't hesitate to replay!
Ichan

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 07:47:17 19:47 »

Nice!

With GLCD on board we can play EasyGUI with it  Cool  http://www.sonsivri.com/forum/index.php?topic=24804.0

-ichan

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16:21 20:16 »

Yes my friend 'ichan'... Actually most of the peripherals on the board are supported.

Besides, the kit has two programming interfaces, STK200/300 and STK500v2, so you can handle in any GNU complier.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 06:11:04 06:11 »

Der Friends,

I will start uploading the 'Experiments source code (Examples)' very soon...

Please hold-on...

Any questions about the schemtic?

wedo,
charudatt

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 70

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 08:35:53 08:35 »

I had a question about the programmers you have on board. Why two programmers and if you are using a ATMEGA8 then why use it with a FTDI chip. you can directly connect the ATMEGA8 to USB anyway, its going to be serial and not HV. If you have a MEGA128 and you mess with the fuse. Is there any provision for HV resetting. I am sure you are looking at the newbie angle and they are going to mess it up.

I feel MAX3232 would be ideal. But anyways, Both are pin compatible.

regards
kigba
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 09:43:46 09:43 »

Der Friends,

I will start uploading the 'Experiments source code (Examples)' very soon...

Please hold-on...

Any questions about the schemtic?

wedo,

Great work,
Can you upload Eagle files.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 11:41:33 11:41 »

I had a question about the programmers you have on board. Why two programmers and if you are using a ATMEGA8 then why use it with a FTDI chip. you can directly connect the ATMEGA8 to USB anyway, its going to be serial and not HV. If you have a MEGA128 and you mess with the fuse. Is there any provision for HV resetting. I am sure you are looking at the newbie angle and they are going to mess it up.

I feel MAX3232 would be ideal. But anyways, Both are pin compatible.

regards

Thanks for your question!

There are two programmer on board, STK300 which can be connected to LPT port, and STK500v2 which can be connected via USB port.

The ATmega8 MCU is holding the STK500v2 USB firmware which is transfer data from UART to SPI interface which is very fast.

Sure, you can connect the ATmega8 directly to the USB without FT232R, and install another firmware that convert the USB frame to SPI frame, but the later will be very slow!

STK500v2 is compliable open-source programmer.

If you change the SPI fuse for any ATmega MCU, you have to use factory default file to get back that fuse on, which needs a programmer I have no information about for now.

I’m sorry I didn’t understand what you really mean by “. I am sure you are looking at the newbie angle and they are going to mess it up.”! However, the first step to achieve something is to fall down, then you can move forward with sure footed.

Thanks,

Posted on: October 19, 2009, 12:35:48 12:35 - Automerged

Great work,
Can you upload Eagle files.

Sure, I will upload the shematic and board eagle file, but later! I need to get real discussion a make sure the design is clear and open.

This design is open-source for everyone to have a new knowledge, and the later is come wih questions and deep discussion.

This is an education forum, let us take benift of it.
charudatt

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 12:17:19 12:17 »

Hello all,

let me add some of my points here for discussion , not sure, if it applies, if the design are in its final stage.
1. The PCB becomes too bulky, I mean too big to handle and move, Still not sure of its final design specs yet.
2. This design locks your possibilities to the experiment that you have foreseen.
3.  Too many DIP switches to fiddle around to get your configuration right for a given experiments.

IMHO, I would like to see the design modular,
1. A basic board with the programer, serial port, power supply and all port pins coming out via a 10 pin Box Header
2. Each of the Box header able to source 5V Power to connecting board.
3. Design modules that connect to this board to provide a newbie his experience with the experiment that's planned
4. Some basic module boards to interface like LCD, GLCD, Keyboard can be bundled along with this Main board.
5. The modular design offers great flexibility to replace at will , to your choice. With the above design, all things on the board (resources) get locked in for the board. But with the modular design, they can be swapped at will.
6. Not all connecting boards need to be DS (Double Sided) design. They could be SS (Single Sided) design, which could also bring down the cost.

I wished we discussed on this idea, if you find it reasonable.

regards

Posted on: October 19, 2009, 01:03:41 13:03 - Automerged

Hello Wedo,

What I meant to say was, that It is very easy for a newbie to screw up the fuse setting of the ATMEGA on board. And if he does that , is there a way to recover it ?

Again coming back to the modular approach, I would prefer the Programmer also to be outside. Just the HV Prog. Pins coming on a Box Header. The HV Prog. Pins will take care of the simpler SPI prog. available. Then you can have a wide range of programmer that can be connected to this board Serial/Parallel or STK200/300/500vxxx.

regards.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 01:26:35 13:26 »

Hi,

Thanks for your nice post here!

let me add some of my points here for discussion , not sure, if it applies, if the design are in its final stage.

No the design still in prototyping stage. You are welcome to add.

1. The PCB becomes too bulky, I mean too big to handle and move, Still not sure of its final design specs yet.

The design dimensions are 36x22cm, it has been designed from the first stages for LABs which means the board should be fixed. We can consider another mobile design, but the later one will have less peripherals on board, in other hand, the extended space for this board make it easier for student to work with peripherals.

2. This design locks your possibilities to the experiment that you have foreseen.

I didn’t understand what you mean here, but the kit is extendable using the extended I/O connectors.

3.  Too many DIP switches to fiddle around to get your configuration right for a given experiments.

DIP switches are used for pull up/down resistors, I just count 6 DIP switches. They are important.

IMHO, I would like to see the design modular,
1. A basic board with the programmer, serial port, power supply and all port pins coming out via a 10 pin Box Header.
2. Each of the Box header able to source 5V Power to connecting board.
3. Design modules that connect to this board to provide a newbie his experience with the experiment that's planned
4. Some basic module boards to interface like LCD, GLCD, Keyboard can be bundled along with this Main board.
5. The modular design offers great flexibility to replace at will , to your choice. With the above design, all things on the board (resources) get locked in for the board. But with the modular design, they can be swapped at will.
6. Not all connecting boards need to be DS (Double Sided) design. They could be SS (Single Sided) design, which could also bring down the cost.

1,3,4,5- Some people like modular kits and some likes ‘all on single kit’. No problem with both.
2- The kit is already provided with 5V next to each I/Os connector.
6-We have a lot of wires here, so the DS board is requested. Furthermore, multi-layer PCBs can solve the EMI problems.

I wished we discussed on this idea, if you find it reasonable.

Sure, I would love too.

Best regards,
wedo[/size][/size]
charudatt

Thank You

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 02:05:59 14:05 »

Cool, then, I have no further suggestions on this board. This board surpasses all my imagination. Congrats. Well I would reserve my opinion on the modular approach.  Wink

Sorry, my apologies, I missed out on the Port Pins coming out. Yes I saw them later. I would suggest , stick to just one type of a programmer on board. Parallel Port is obsolete now a days and even Serial port is on its way. You could same some space and complexity.

Lets hear from others on what they say.
usrrsr

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 6

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 04:32:03 16:32 »

First of all thanks for great work. Really Appreciable.
Here are some comments

1. A linear 5V Power Supply:
   You can add a transitor across 7805 so that it can source much current may be with TIP122 2-3 amps. so we don't need any   
   additional power supply. See the attached image. I can give eagle files if you want.
2. Add another port headers parrelel to the exiting pins with vcc,gnd pins like what we did in attached schematic.
3. Add 74HC154 , 4 to 16 decoder.
4. Also you can think to add 12 bit ADC using MAX188 & 16 bit port expander using MCP23S17. I can give you eagle files if you are
    interested in.
5. Add Fuse with pcb mountable jack.
6. As per me there is no need to bother about the size of board, As this is advance experimental board and it is never recommended to
    use it for industrial use. In industrial board you must give only required functionality circut not even additional connectors or ISP
    headers etc.
7. Also add the commertially easily available Tx-Rx module (i have seen it somewhere on post - sorry for repetation) interface. Also
    note that output voltage given by most of the receiver module is not directly compactible with microcontroller (My experience
    taught me this). So if possible add comparator (using LM324 /LM339) at output stage of receiver module.
8. Add MOC 3043 based solid stage relay interface, IR pair interface if possible.
9. Add toroidal bead inductor inline with DC power in just before 7805.
10. Keep provision for adding external 64k ram (like 62512 - 64k,62256-32k) useful when large data storing required.
11. Add 2 external header for SPI commnication one will be with 3.3 volt power supply and another with 5 v power supply.
12. While writing the codes if possible use MikroC compiler, it has wide variety of redymade libs. and also MikroC compiler is available for
     PIC,8051 and AVR hence if a newbie learns any one out of them, with some littlebit additional reading he will e in position to code it
     for PIC and 8051 too. Isn't it amazing !

All this is suggestion however you and others may have different opinion on this.
Also post eagle files once finished.

regards

ulhas
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:05:18 17:05 by usrrsr » Logged
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 06:04:57 06:04 »

Thanks for your kind comments!

1. A linear 5V Power Supply: You can add a transitor across 7805 so that it can source much current may be with TIP122 2-3 amps. so we don't need any  additional power supply. See the attached image. I can give eagle files if you want.

That is right. Actually I was thinking about using SMPS instead of the Linier PS.

3. Add 74HC154 , 4 to 16 decoder.

For what?

4. Also you can think to add 12 bit ADC using MAX188 & 16 bit port expander using MCP23S17. I can give you eagle files if you are interested in.

Nice Idea! Please attach a schematic design here for all.

7. Also add the commercially easily available Tx-Rx module interface. Also note that output voltage given by most of the receiver module is not directly compactible with microcontroller (My experience  taught me this). So if possible add comparator (using LM324 /LM339) at output stage of receiver module.

Could you please explain more! Unclear idea. Please provide a schematic.

Add MOC 3043 based solid stage relay interface, IR pair interface if possible.

There are already two mechanical relays, should be replaced with the SS-relay>?

10. Keep provision for adding external 64k ram (like 62512 - 64k,62256-32k) useful when large data storing required.

External Rams usually used with 32bit microcontrollers, because of the high functionality and speed. With 8bit MCU, no need for Xram! ATmega128 has 4KB SRAM which is sufficient for any project unless you need to control large LED-Matrix-Display.

12. While writing the codes if possible use MikroC compiler, it has wide variety of redymade libs. and also MikroC compiler is available for PIC,8051 and AVR hence if a newbie learns any one out of them.

The source code and the manual has already setup to use Bascom-AVR,  which is very good IDE for newbie and professional users. I have been using this IDE from 5years, even in commercial project (10,000 lines of instructions) .

Hope that you add more of your nice ideas, and provide a schematic design for each that people here can get benefit of.

Regards,
wedo
arash_tah

Thank You
-Given: 18

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 04:52:59 04:52 »

please upload the source code we are waiting for that!
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 06:02:28 06:02 »

please upload the source code we are waiting for that!

I will upload so soon... Pease be patient!

wedo,
usrrsr

Thank You

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 05:00:46 17:00 »

Hi wedo

1. I have attached the sch eagle file for max188,mcp23s17,power supply and 4 to 16 decoder. 3.3V supply can be generaed using smd 3.3 v regulator chip which can source upto 1 amps.
2. 4 to 16 decoder is required as if you use multiple spi devices like mcp23s17 or max188 then it is not advisable to devote micro 
   controller port io pin to it. hence it is reqd.
3. In rf pair which are available in market outpul low level logic voltage is in the range of input high logic of microcontroller. hence
   whatever data you send on rf trx, uC will read all logic high. hence it is required see the attached file for more details.
4. Yes, you may think to replace relay with  MOC 3043 based solid stage relay interface because it weigh few grams and din't need any
    diver transistor or ULN2803. You can use that with USB embebed uC like 18F4450 without any external power supply.
5. External RAM is required when you want to logged data at higher sampling rate like ADC result for a longer duration because of which
    it can't be possible to store it and stop reading ADC.
6. If you have done it with Bascom-AVR then there is no way. Include algorithms if possible so code can be formated for any comipler 
7. Add DTMF decoder using MT8870 interface with telephone PCB mounted socket.
8. Also if you add provision for CC2500 / CC1100 ti rf transceiver IC then it would be highly appreciable.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 05:22:34 17:22 »

Hi Usrrsr,

Very nice ideas... I do like all.

I will consider your suggestion in the final revision.

I'm looking for more ideas, come on guys!
pasanlaksiri

Thank You
-Given: 143
-Receive: 59

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 04:57:39 04:57 »

Wooow Super Coool. Do u hv any dev board PCB for PICs.

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 02:09:23 14:09 »

Wooow Super Coool. Do u hv any dev board PCB for PICs.

unfortunately I don't! I'm not interrested in Microchip's MCUs!
charudatt

Thank You

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 09:14:45 21:14 »

Do u hv any dev board PCB for PICs.

Lets review the response and outcome of this (AVR) board and it should not be difficult to design a PIC Development board.

regards.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 09:48:37 09:48 »

Lets review the response and outcome of this (AVR) board and it should not be difficult to design a PIC Development board.

regards.

You are absolutely right. All that you need is to replace the MCU module with PIC compliable one. I mean, the peripherals are always same, but you need to consider the pins connections.

wedo,

usrrsr

Thank You

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 03:46:07 15:46 »

Attached is DTMF decoder eagle schematic for your ready ref.
Also for reference volatge you can use LM5050-4 shunt reference.
charudatt

Thank You

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 07:30:51 19:30 »

Hello Wedo,

Can you share with us the present status (or progress) of (y)our development and maybe your target date or goal when you would call off for the feedback from this forum. For the lack of information from your side, it looks to me that we are waiting for the "Second Coming".................  Grin

U really seem to be good in incorporating all these feedback on your board. In my opinion, you would surely  put all the other developers to shame...........  Grin

great work ! keep it up.

regards.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 11:04:10 11:04 »

Hello Wedo,

Can you share with us the present status (or progress) of (y)our development and maybe your target date or goal when you would call off for the feedback from this forum. For the lack of information from your side, it looks to me that we are waiting for the "Second Coming".................  Grin

U really seem to be good in incorporating all these feedback on your board. In my opinion, you would surely  put all the other developers to shame...........  Grin

great work ! keep it up.

regards.

Hi Charudatt,

Thanks for your post here!

First of all, I didn’t say that I will call-off the feedback here!
Anyway, let me tell you the story of this kit.

When I was a student at the faculty of EEE in Aleppo University, we had no Microcontroller Lab there, we were still dealing with Z80 and 8086. I proposed to the faculty that I can provide MCU-8051 kits to be taught instead of Z80, actually that was in 2004, also I offered a full learning system (Lab lectures), but the propose has denied!

Once I graduated, I applied to the diploma prgram and started teaching in the Lab, guess what I taught?
Embedded systems Microcontroller, of course. Then I thought back again in the 2nd year, which was a big factor for all students to work on MCUs.

In the first year, the student had to use the simulation (Proteus) instead of hands-on lab, which gave me an idea to design an AVR kit that can serve all students in all departments at the EEE faculty, and the kit in your hand has came out as an open-source for everyone.

Now, I’m looking to make the final prototype and put it in mass-production, to be sold later in very special price (USD120) for all educational institutions and for students.

The point is, if you need to improve your experience, you need to share what you have with other people first, accept their feedback, and put yourself in the place of learner even if you are already high class developer or teacher.

It’s triangular benefit, Students learn from teacher, students learn from Students, and the teacher learn from students.

By the way, I’m working on my master project which is an interactive learning paradigm for teaching EEE students programming Embedded systems FPGAs using next generation programming languages.

Kindest regards,

Wedo
Embedded systems R&D Engineer

kigba
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 11:57:15 11:57 »

since it is open source, why you don't share your stuff
stop leeching ideas for your design.
I agree with Charudatt, i think when you complete the design you
will leave this forum and share nothing.
by the way price like (120$) is not special in Syria. So your goal is Huh
I hope I'm wrong.
Regards.
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 01:40:41 13:40 »

since it is open source, why you don't share your stuff
stop leeching ideas for your design.
I agree with Charudatt, i think when you complete the design you
will leave this forum and share nothing.
by the way price like (120$) is not special in Syria. So your goal is Huh
I hope I'm wrong.
Regards.

No comments...
charudatt

Thank You

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 09:43:48 21:43 »

Hello wedo,

I do respect your commitment to help others and I wish you all the best.

But I still don't see a reply to my question. Yes, this learning and feedback process can be a never ending story, and you need to freeze it somewhere. It's not that the feedback would stop , in fact, you can get more feedback for future versions once you roll out your ideas. IMHO, I feel, you surely have got a good feedback from your earlier version for you to share with us some progress.

Anyway , its upto you on how you keep the interest alive.

regards

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 07:11:33 07:11 »

Hello Charudatt ,

Thanks for your kind post.

I don't mind to share here all information I have, actually it's my point!

In recent times, I'm extremely busy! I need to get a free time to test some ideas on the kit and process the final prototype. I didn't revise the first version yet. The kit is under request now.

Once I finish the final version, I will upload here, in the meanwhile, I'm going to upload the version in my hand now, despite I have already uploaded as pictures, but no problem, it's better getting feedback from people like "kigba".

I will upload the examples as well, but please give me some space to do that, I'm not free all the time.

cncbasher

Thank You
-Given: 107

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 12:55:38 12:55 »

Hi Wedo,
As a R&D Engineer
may i first congratulate you on a good design layout .

However may i make a few recommendations , remove the LPT printer port and the smart card , they are old and not now extensively used  programmers now are moving to USB and newer PC's are not fitted with printer ports , also the addition of a USB host connector would move the project forward for use by the new generaton of engineers ! , look at emerging technologies and support them , this will give the board a more useful life span in the future .

also add pads on the motherboard around the cpu header , so each pin can be brought out for attaching probes or even other boards using jumper wires etc
also make the cpu crystal removable i.e board header pins , not every design is required to run at a single crystal speed etc

i would be happy to help once you post design files so many of us more experienced , will be able to guide you in your endevours , however the more you think the ideas the more you will change the layout , and it will never be finished ! , better to hold at one point and release , use the boards in the lab then if need be update later based on your student experiences and feedback . 

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 10:58:32 22:58 »

Hello cncbasher,

Thanks for your kind congratulation and comments here!

Concerning the LPT programming interface, it will be replaced by USB-STK500v2 programming interface in the final version.

As per the additional USB host, I thing you mean normal USB plug connector (USB<>UART interface using FT2323R)! USB host requires additional chip which allows the system to adopt USB devices, such as: MP3, Flash, etc.

Regarding the SmartCard, this is not old technology! It's already used in many applications!

Adopting Emerging Technologies, sure, but I would refer here that there are two kinds of development boards:

1-   Educational development kits: Like we have done here, this kind should include most common and simple used peripherals; the most users will be a newbie!

2-   Commercial development boards: Thus kind used as an embedded system hardware for prototyping, will contain complex and specific features for a particular application.

Generally, when we speak about Emerging Technologies, that means we speak about the 2nd sort of Dev. Boards.
Anyway, it's very good idea.

About adding pads on the motherboard around the MCU, that is already done! If you check the schematic design you will find that all MCU pins are brought-out and provided by pull up/down resistors which can be Enabled/Disabled via dip-switches.

About making the MCU crystal removable, actually there is a jumper on the top of MCU module that allows to connect/disconnect the external crystal (16MHz). Please check the MCU module schematic.

I would be happy too to share all of you the design files. Please check the attached files are the schematic and board for both MCU module and Motherboard!

P.S. Eagle5.6 is required to open the files!

Looking forward to getting your thoughtful feedback!

Wedo,
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:27:23 07:27 by wedo » Logged
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 05:35:28 17:35 »

I knew that once uploading the design files, no feedback is going show up!
cncbasher

Thank You
-Given: 107

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 07:23:38 19:23 »

some of us do have jobs , unfortunatly i dont use eagle , hopfully a few days and you will have some feedback from me , as promised
Ichan

Thank You

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2009, 03:48:24 15:48 »

Hi Wedo,

I just had a chance to open your design, that is great, I believe it took a lot of day and night of yours to finish it.

If you ever create a new thread something like "Contribute application for Wedo's board", then I will push myself hard to fill it.

-ichan

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2009, 07:30:16 19:30 »

Hi Wedo,

I just had a chance to open your design, that is great, I believe it took a lot of day and night of yours to finish it.

If you ever create a new thread something like "Contribute application for Wedo's board", then I will push myself hard to fill it.

-ichan

Hi ichan,

Thanks for your kind post here!

Sure, this design has taken long nights and days, not for designing the PCB, this was the easiest stage, but for designing the peripherals in the right direction.

I wished that I could have more feedback from the friends here, but I got non after I had posted the design files!
All the feedbacks that have been offered so far are not what I'm looking for! They are all surface, nothing professional.

Anyway, I have a plan to build a novel embedded microcontroller development board for XMEGA series, but after I finish my Master project, which may be interesting for you, it's about an educational paradigm for teaching under-graduate students programming embedded systems FPGA based using graphical languages (LABVIEW).

Thanks again & regards,
wedo

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:36:43 19:36 by wedo » Logged
mabd

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 16

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2009, 10:07:41 22:07 »

0- software software software is the real key for training students.
1- I think the price is high. for 120$ people would go to some other known brands.
2- may be you should develop a smaller board and remove old components.
3- make modules, so, people can add what they need.
4- consider new components, serial spi dac, digital potentiometer, new opamp,
5- some components may not be useful for beginners like GLCD
6- with students i always find breadboard very handy and cheaper
7- in syria and lebanon, you can find different suppliers for "mass production". I am sure.

regards and best wishes from egypt.
arash_tah

Thank You
-Given: 18

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2009, 05:22:53 17:22 »

Wedo please upload some example code and firmware your hard ware look perfect
wedo

Thank You

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 07:24:13 19:24 »

Dear Friends,

You can download the full lectures with source codes from the folloing link:

http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=67

Good luck

wedo
bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2009, 09:01:29 21:01 »

Look's really good Wedo , good job
I would love a translated version  Cheesy

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
Ichan

Thank You

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2009, 10:38:37 22:38 »

Great Wedo, I salute you!

-ichan

wedo

Thank You

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 05:56:16 05:56 »

I really would love to translate this course into English, I have been asked that so many times, but I'm really on a supper speed train to get so many targets and there is no time to stop and get step back! If anybody would like to translate this lectures to English, I can help by providing the *.docx files and check the translation before publication.

Hope that you like this course!  Smiley

Wedo,
Unhappy

Thank You
-Given: 984
-Receive: 100

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:24 21:02 »

I really would love to translate this course into English, I have been asked that so many times, but I'm really on a supper speed train to get so many targets and there is no time to stop and get step back! If anybody would like to translate this lectures to English, I can help by providing the *.docx files and check the translation before publication.

Hope that you like this course!  Smiley

Wedo,

If it is well documented and in editable format I would love to try to translate if you are kind enough to provide *.docx
r.babazadeh

Thank You
-Given: 32
-Receive: 2

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2014, 05:52:51 05:52 »

hi
tanks wedo
I hope Composure quickly return to your country
i like to  translate this course into Persian and English
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:59:59 05:59 by r.babazadeh » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Print