Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:31:32 14:31

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Doubt with Proton +  (Read 3967 times)
msnm4

Thank You
-Given: 41
-Receive: 11

« on: April 07, 2008, 10:28:32 22:28 »

Hi all,

I was checking the manual of proton+ and could see that that for OSC or Xtal, it is only possible to use 3,4,8,etc. MHz.
- Does this mean it is not possible to use a value outside these ones???...for example 6MHz (as I have in my harware!!).
- What could happen if I used it: donĀ“t compile?...bad calculation of delays?

I would try it by myself but currently I still cannot download the cracked version from the link and the demo is said to support only 4 MHz and 20 MHz.

Thks for your help.

msnm4
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 539
-Receive: 408

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:04:20 23:04 »

I was checking the manual of proton+ and could see that that for OSC or Xtal, it is only possible to use 3,4,8,etc. MHz.
Yes it is 3-48MHZ but it all depends on what pic your using,

I would try it by myself but currently I still cannot download the cracked version from the link and the demo is said to support only 4 MHz and 20 MHz.

That's the demo vesrion, Not sure about cracked vesrion though

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:43:20 11:43 »

Here is a list of odd Xtals I have use in the past year. all were time critical applcations. and all worked fine.
3.58MHz 8MHz 10MHz 14.32MHz 24MHz  25MHz  32MHz  33MHz

EDIT : Just done a test and if you select a Xtal thats not suported it flags error message.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:08:05 13:08 by pickit2 » Logged

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
msnm4

Thank You
-Given: 41
-Receive: 11

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:47:56 13:47 »

Yes, I saw that error flag when you use a non supoported Xtal value. I assume that a possible workaround could be to choose the nearest xtal value and then introduce corrections somewhere else (delays, etc.)

Thks.
twonuts

Thank You
-Given: 55
-Receive: 42

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:27:40 12:27 »

You can use any xtal that your pic will work with. You still need to declare a xtal frequency that proton will accept, or you will get an error. What you will get if your Xtal frequency, and the Xtal setting in proton are different is a percentage error in timing for eg RS232 (USART), etc. Your application may still work as you would like if this error percentage is not too great.

For example, there is a program floating around somewhere which calculates the register settings for pics for setting up RS232 comms, which also gives error percentages of baud rate generated for these settings. this is set to give values for SPRG, BRGH, BRGL when you give xtal frequency and baud rate you require.

The pic will process your program whatever xtal you use. Timings, delays, etc, etc may be off, some by quite a large margin of error, if you use a xtal which you can not define in proton.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...