Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 07:30:28 07:30

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Using Microchip IPE with Pickit3 to program K-series PICs  (Read 2769 times)
PeteBee
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 1

« on: June 29, 2020, 11:15:51 11:15 »

We had been having some problems with EEPROM not programming correctly when programming the k series PICs with the Pickit or IDC3,  mainly PIC18F25k80 and PIC18F26k80.

Hopefully this little tip will be useful to somebody  Smiley

I found that firstly it was best to use the latest IPE (Integrated Programming Environment) from Microchip. This ensure that if a recent silicon revision has required a little tweak to the programming timing then hopefully Microchip have implemented that in the firmware that IPE downloads to your Pickit.  This program is packaged with MPLABX. When you install you have the option to install everything or just IPE, for those who are not developing but just need to program the PICs.

The problem seemed to be caused when, after programming, the PIC immediately tried to run, without necessarily having the right clock or power up sequence.  This could cause EEPROM corruption.  If programming in a standalone ZIF adapter, then there is no clock source at all, if programming in circuit, then there is a clock, but it seems that it cannot be guaranteed to initialise correctly when coming out of programming.

The solution turned out to be very simple.  I found that IPE has an option in settings, where you can select "hold in reset" after programming.  This option is not selected by default.  By turning this option on, and then powering off after programming without allowing the PIC to run, I now have 100% reliability in programming the EEPROM in these chips.

towlerg

Thank You
-Given: 474
-Receive: 104

What is this for?

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:52:43 12:52 »

IMHO IPE is dreadful, I know it's free but have these people got no shame.

I suggest you look into PicKitPlus, it's the MicroChip software for PicKit 2 and 3 reworked. It supports the devices you are using. It's much faster than IPE.

If you're doing volume look at NorthernSoftware gang programmers.

BTW I think that pretty much every Pic device programmer has the "hold in reset" function

Win 7 Ult x64 SP1 on HP2570p
PeteBee
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 1

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:50:59 09:50 »

Thanks for that feedback, I'll bear it in mind if I have any problems with IPE.

Whilst the user interface is not the best in the world, it is usable and I find that IPE does the job fine, subject to the issue I mentioned, which I think is more to do with those particular PICs than the programming software. At least with IPE it is updated and maintained by Microchip, so any tweaks due to silicon revisions should be incorporated in a timely fashion (or am I being too optimistic about that?  Shocked )

Regards,

Pete
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...