Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:59:13 07:59

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need help finding a chip  (Read 3286 times)
pipegrepless

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 8

« on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:06 23:44 »

I've been trying to find an inexpensive chip (prefer arm but I'm open to anything) that has native support for the tcp/ip stack, a built in PHY, and can run a very simple web server.  A built in ADC would be great, but not required.  Ideally the chip cost would be under $5ish and a leaded package (SMT preferred).  USB support would also be great, however I can always use a dedicate chip for that if that will give me a cheaper BOM cost.  Thanks.

If you use it, buy it.
Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:49:35 00:49 »

Not the cheapest but seems on spec: Wiznet W7100A

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
pipegrepless

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:14:01 01:14 »

Thanks for finding that.  It's a huge package (I'll only need a small handful of io lines in addition to the communications lines).  Basically I plan on capacitively coupling a wire of a power led in my computer and having the mico toggle a relay (triggered from a button click on a web page it serves) to remotely turn the computer on or off.  I did find a few wireless solutions that are very cheap, so I might go that route.  However, I'd prefer a hardline ethernet connection though.

If you use it, buy it.
pablo2048

Thank You
-Given: 133
-Receive: 86

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 05:04:08 05:04 »

Basically I plan on capacitively coupling a wire of a power led in my computer and having the mico toggle a relay (triggered from a button click on a web page it serves) to remotely turn the computer on or off.
And what about Ethernet Magic packet for wakeup over LAN - AFAIK microcontrollers with integrated PHY are from TI (discontinued) and there is plenty of TCP/IP open source implementations (uip, lwip, openTCP, STM32Plus library from Andy Brown, ...).
bigtoy

Thank You
-Given: 322
-Receive: 297

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 05:35:17 05:35 »

Only ones I know of are the Stellaris parts from TI, as Pablo said being discontinued. I played with one once. Just be warned that the PHY is the hottest part of the chip, so the PHY makes the whole processor hot. Which is actually why having the PHY as a separate chip can make life easier, of course depending on where you plan to use the thing. Just so you know.
LzEn

Thank You
-Given: 48
-Receive: 86

Lazy Efficient

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:36:55 19:36 »

I have never tried this myself, but it looks worth checking out. I came across this company when I was making a search about some cheap WiFi module. They also offer Ethernet solutions, I don't remember the price but I remember their WiFi solution was one of the cheapest ones I found.
Anyways here is the list of their Ethernet SOC line. You can find more information @ Link

Posted on: October 10, 2014, 08:35:17 20:35 - Automerged

EDIT:
Forgot to mention it is a "Single Chip Microcontroller with TCP/IP and 10/100M Fast Ethernet MAC/PHY"

~ Laziness Is The Mother Of Efficiency ~
pipegrepless

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 01:49:39 01:49 »

Thanks for the hep all.  I've got a wireless module and a few of these suggestions on order to play with and see what will work best.

If you use it, buy it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...