The Godfather talking
You think I am funny guy huh?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:14:33 07:14

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: An interesting view about piracy "Piracy-and-Unconventional-Wisdom"  (Read 3278 times)
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 959

« on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:01 21:34 »

I came by this paper on the codeproject site. It offers many interesting views around the the topic piracy. So I want to share this free "paper"

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:09 22:01 »

Many vendors end up creating their own pirates, often specific to their products. These "pirates" are not normal pirates, but pirate only your software to bypass draconian anti-piracy measures that you put in place. Often they continue to buy your software, but refuse to use your officially released version, but instead seek, create, or use cracked and modified versions without the negative features of your anti-piracy solution. Your solution to prevent piracy has turned on you and has created the need for cracked versions of your software. And once a cracked version exists, the whole market opens up for other pirates to use it.
I believe this is one reason PDS has been hit, so many of their customers can't stand the thought of the dongle.
then there are the likes of others that make you take out a service plan to keep the software up to date.  

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:55:16 22:55 »

I believe this is one reason PDS has been hit, so many of their customers can't stand the thought of the dongle.
then there are the likes of others that make you take out a service plan to keep the software up to date.  

PDS also created a TON of hostility with their forum practices by treating everyone that joined as crooks/pirates until they proved otherwise...  IMO a sure fire way to aggravate and turn off legit PAYING customers that come to a support forum for help and are immediately accused and branded as a crook/pirate, instead of being provided the customer service they sought...  I mean seriously some of the threads on their forum turned into flat out witch hunts over a blinking LED question, and to be blunt there are many desk jockey programmers that work for a company and don't know or have 24/7 access to their 'license number or purchase information' off the top of their head, but might have a legit question, to treat them is crooks is sure to backfire...  I know for me personally this public in your face policy sealed the deal for me to never purchase (or even use) their software...  And they continue down this destructive path of snubbing customers to this day, IMO...

What is ironic is that in the end piracy can be very beneficial to many software companies if the product can stand on it's own...  The blunt reality is that those that pirate software to get it for free, were almost certainly not going to pay for it in the first place, so the imagine loss of profits is only speculative at best...  Microsoft learned this long ago and was even accused by many of making it easy to pirate their software on purpose so that they could gobble up market share and become the leader only to benefit later with huge volume sells after they squashed the competition and became the industry standard, and to be blunt that is exactly what they did...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:57:50 22:57 by CocaCola » Logged
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 959

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:33 13:19 »

The scheme that among Altium run. With a license that is time based is one of the most unfriendly way of doing it as I see it(although Altium let you pay extra to get a life time license I think it) This way they are practically beging for it. I can understand that if you do not update you are cut of from say support and service packs. But "killing" your purchased software after some time is not the way to go

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 03:18:49 15:18 »

But "killing" your purchased software after some time is not the way to go
I have such a software, it was not that popular at the time, they wanted you to take a service contract, for future updates and so on, they said software would still run if you did not buy contract.
Guess what if you need to move or reinstall, it ran in demo mode only, so much for promises.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:52:35 21:52 »

The scheme that among Altium run. With a license that is time based is one of the most unfriendly way of doing it as I see it(although Altium let you pay extra to get a life time license I think it) This way they are practically beging for it. I can understand that if you do not update you are cut of from say support and service packs. But "killing" your purchased software after some time is not the way to go

actually Bob, that isn't quite right.  Altium started with perpetual licenses that last forever, yes they cost more.  They later introduced time based licenses as an extra offering because some customers requested it.  Their standard normal license is forever (though of course you lose support and updates after the maintenance expires).

I've found Altium's licensing structure to be one of the most friendly on the market as you can activate once, then move the license file around at will.

I do wish however, that you got more for $1500 a year in maintenance besides minor whiz bang features rather than substantial improvements.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...