Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:39:48 10:39

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Author Topic: Leeches and thank yous  (Read 22146 times)
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:52 20:03 »

I just want to point out how PATHETIC it is that there were only 4 thank yous and 78 D/L's in the Coppercam thread since August.

Someone took the time to contribute while most of you lurk in the background, leeching, not even thanking someone for their trouble - especially if it is useful or added to a collection.

It'd be nice if there was a way for the Sonsivri board to tally access to attached links and if a member crosses over a threshold of, say, 2:1 of access to thank yous (realizing some things like mirrors are not a major effort in some people's minds, while others do appreciate it. others may wish not to reveal themselves for a particular D/L. some treat thank yous as major contribution, awesome, just what I needed, and don't thank other posters...that may be OK as well. some attachments are not links), they get a month of D/L vacation from the board. Three strikes,you're out. Maybe change that ratio threshold based on number of postings made.

Noting the number of attachment clicks under avatars would also be great to see what kind of member the person is.

In my mind, even if you don't contribute much, at least you could thank the people who do.

If that can't happen, then how about placing the ID of the downloader onto the posting, with a separate thanks place above it.

thanks by:
downloaded by:

I like the ratio system better, myself.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:06:38 20:06 by solutions » Logged
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:56:35 20:56 »

Are there plugins to handle this kind of thing or would a custom plugin be needed?
LabVIEWguru

Thank You
-Given: 270
-Receive: 593

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:27:46 23:27 »

Solutions:

For once, I am in complete agreement with you. What about an automatic "thank you" if you open the link? I freely admit, there have been times I was in a hurry and didn't go back to click the "thank you" button, or what the person posted was garbage and didn't warrant a "thank you," but I have posted links to books on an account I paid for, had the book d/l'ed over a hundred times and received less that ten "thank you's." That is garbage.

Or: Under an avatar, or on a separate page it shows your last 10 downloads with an asterisk if you pressed the button. I guess it's like the rest of society: you've got 10 or 15 percent supporting the 85 or 90 percent that contribute nothing.
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:42 23:31 »

Yeah, but this society can kick you off the island  Tongue
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:21:48 00:21 »

Figured what the heck didn't need the file but went and clicked thanks and downloaded it for the archives Smiley
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:09:52 02:09 by CocaCola » Logged
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 959

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:08:18 10:08 »

Solutuions as long as you do not need "thank you" hits as nourishment. Take it as a honour that 78 have found your link worth looking at instead. Then I use a link here. I always try to give a "thank you" Besides saying thank you to the person for sharing. It is also a "Sideshow Bob was here" label. Remindig me that I have looked at this share before. I do not always remember which Ebooks I have downloaded as one example. That said I agree that the rule of thumb is. If you find a post useful use the thank you button

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 06:28:47 18:28 »

We all know going in that most people do not bother with "thanks." This says a lot about the people who value your advice(post) or software sharing but can't be bothered with a courtesy. And to share/post anyway to help somebody, says a lot about you.

Wishing everybody (leeches included) happy New Year, happy hunting for 2014!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:33:58 18:33 by optikon » Logged

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
SB7

Thank You
-Given: 286
-Receive: 752

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 07:01:34 19:01 »

Well said Optikon.

Personally I couldn't careless whether people push the "thank you " button.  I help people because I can.  I certainly don't keep score .  I have spent a life time helping those "around" me ,more often than not , putting the needs of others far ahead of my own and typically at significant cost in time or money or both .  It's my way of giving the finger to a society that coddles, supports, nurtures, and rewards extreme narcissism.
How ironic that the more "connected" and "social" society becomes, the more self centered and narcissistic it behaves.  Not saying thank you is merely a symptom of the disease, what is required is a fundamental shift in peoples thinking about those around them.

Having said that, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New year and continued success in the coming year.

Cheers

solutions

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:29:59 22:29 »

You are missing the point. There is no score keeping, what I am suggesting another tier for culling the parasites.

These people do not contribute ANYTHING. They anonymously leech, never contribute, yet pull down valuable material, no doubt some for their own sites and commercial exploits, without so much as a thank you.
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 10:57:20 22:57 »

I mute All Zero Posters under the rule, section A, rule 8, This covers not being active.
My mutes are now, 32 days, (mutes for 1day to 7 days don't work, as a deterrent)
this increases if member still does not start posting.
Don't feel sorry for those on a mute.. you will not miss them, how can you miss someone that has not been seen here.

There is no valid reason for not posting, posting shite will get you a warning, true
but being an active member may save you from a long mute.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
LabVIEWguru

Thank You
-Given: 270
-Receive: 593

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:00:56 23:00 »

No one, as far as I know, is keeping score. If someone posts a link to something I've been looking for or provides assistance or insight into a problem, I should at least have the courtesy to acknowledge their effort. If you've been on here a while and not been able to contribute links, information, advice or monetary support perhaps your contributions would be more valuable somewhere else.
LithiumOverdosE

Thank You
-Given: 374
-Receive: 568

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:15 00:48 »

There is no valid reason for not posting

Out of curiosity, what happens during periods when somebody doesn't have access to internet? Is there any way to "park" account?
calabazas

Thank You
-Given: 152
-Receive: 6

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 04:29:04 04:29 »

Privacy is becoming a product more and more these days. There may be a reason that people don't want others to know if they download something. Pushing thank-you button is sensible and no trouble at all. It's just that it leaves a trace for all to see. Just some thought.
pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 05:53:46 05:53 »

Out of curiosity, what happens during periods when somebody doesn't have access to internet? Is there any way to "park" account?
Like for example.. someone who has had an account since say 2010 and last visit yesterday, with 200plus hours on line ... with zero posts.... we do have a system log.
so I still say we don't just mute, delete accounts without a valid reason.

Posted on: January 01, 2014, 06:32:44 06:32 - Automerged

Privacy is becoming a product more and more these days. There may be a reason that people don't want others to know if they download something. Pushing thank-you button is sensible and no trouble at all. It's just that it leaves a trace for all to see. Just some thought.
I think there are two questions in this topic, The one I take a greater interest in is leeching.

Surely you don't use a traceable account while downloading software.
At my place of work, it's intresting to be asked, by pepole from other departments or outside contacts, "do you need an invite to sonsivri" some are very eager to push the fact they are members here.

plus I just drank my self sober.

solutions

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 10:35:44 10:35 »

Now you have me curious, and this could be useful to all of us at some point.

How do you mute selected coworkers?   Tongue
pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 12:44:00 12:44 »

Now you have me curious, and this could be useful to all of us at some point.

How do you mute selected coworkers?   Tongue
Easy, co-workers don't need to know,  Shocked I have been known to mute fellow mods. Tongue

bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 02:42:56 14:42 »

I have been known to mute fellow mods. Tongue

I can confirm that statement is true   Tongue

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
Old_but_Alive

Thank You
-Given: 699
-Receive: 118

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 02:44:31 14:44 »

all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others  Tongue

I fought Ohm's Law ...  and the law won
I only use Mosfets because I have a Bipolar mental disorder :-)
LithiumOverdosE

Thank You
-Given: 374
-Receive: 568

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 10:11:30 22:11 »

Well, it shouldn't be too hard to mute colleagues. If you're willing to risk prison time.  Cheesy
bbarney

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 04:27:24 16:27 »

By sorting the members by post count you will find almost all of page 28 muted except VIP's and most of them deserved it too
on average the entire page hasn't posted in anywhere from 4 years up to 7 years  and that is only 1 page they get worse from that point on
they won't get a chance too now   Cry

On a side note -- I see more GUESTS than usual today  Wink
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:25:12 18:25 by bbarney » Logged

Vague
V.I.P

Thank You
-Given: 691
-Receive: 29

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 05:32:17 17:32 »

Hi
I have been leeching on this forum for years. I occasionally give a donation when I can. I only contribute something when I feel that I know what I say will help. I dont see the point of posting just so that I have posted, that helps no one. I am sorry that I am not more knowlegable and able to help more.
Thank you all for all your work.
Vague
pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 05:40:49 17:40 »

Hi
I have been leeching on this forum for years. I occasionally give a donation when I can. I only contribute something when I feel that I know what I say will help. I dont see the point of posting just so that I have posted, that helps no one. I am sorry that I am not more knowlegable and able to help more.
Thank you all for all your work.
Vague

with 40 plus posts, your not even in the list of users, I monitor, this is without v.i.p status.

bbarney

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 06:05:57 18:05 »

We hear the same excuse's all the time

I'am a beginner and don't want to look stupid to everyone
If your a beginner than you must have 1000's of questions so post them- you have to start somewhere

You fall somewhere in the middle of the field and don't want to look stupid to the experts here
They are the only one's who can help you - but you need to ask ,also you have enough knowledge now to help the beginners so post

Your an Expert (or so you think  Tongue) I don't want to look stupid to my peers
Nobody knows everything - not even the experts - if nothing else it makes for a good pissing contest till we step in  Grin so post

You have language problem
Bullshit - you found this place and all the files you were looking for so give back before we find you

So enough of the excuse's & bullshit on why you can't or won't post, there are no valid reason's not to
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:26:24 18:26 by bbarney » Logged

Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 09:27:01 21:27 »

WOW, bbarney, did you eat your medication?
Some blood boiling there, careful or you may get an aneurysm Tongue

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
bbarney

Thank You

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 09:43:30 21:43 »

Just telling it like it is , with no excuse's  Grin

Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...