Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:11:34 17:11

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [REQ] Easy 3D CAD for 3D printing  (Read 12502 times)
yahoo

Thank You
-Given: 56
-Receive: 100

« on: July 21, 2013, 01:25:38 13:25 »

I did a lot of 2D designs for my CNC machines using very simple tools but it is time to move on and to try 3D printers for prototyping plastic parts. I have no experience at all for 3D design and the tools I'm using are only for 2D. I'm looking for an easy to learn but powerful enough 3D CAD system to start. The requirement is just to be able to produce STL file. Can you suggest which 3D CAD system is best for beginners?
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2000

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 04:36:41 16:36 »

How about instead of learning on some easy basic tool and switching later to something more advanced, you just go straight after the best there is --> Solidworks.
It comes with tutorials, and the web is also packed with them. It's not too difficult to learn IMO. It will meet all your needs now and down the road.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 05:16:28 17:16 »

Many 3D'ers use SketchUp and OpenSCAD.

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
yahoo

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:18:04 18:18 »

optikon is right. It is better to find time to learn the best one in order to do it just once. I have ordered my 3d printer that had to be delivered in a few days and I wanted during this short time to learn the basics of some simple 3d tool. But I changed my mind and replaced the order with more advanced model which will be shipped as late as September so now I have enough time to learn Solidworks. I just started and I'm already so delighted by its power.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:53:28 20:53 »

Ah, yes.The SolidWorks honeymoon.

You'll be delighted until you realize it has its limitations as well. I use it all the time, which then makes you realize what it cannot do, so "the best" really depends on what you're doing. If it's plastic molds, it is about the worst out there.

Sadly, depending on your project, you'll likely have to learn more than one tool. If you're just going to be printing Yoda, you don't need to learn anything and you can just pull STL model stuff directly off of thingiverse.com

I also hope you didn't overpay for your printer:  http://makibox.com/products
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:55:51 20:55 by solutions » Logged
yahoo

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:28:14 21:28 »

solutions, you are also right. I'm going to print mostly simple prototyping plastic parts and I think all 3d tools can do that but for very short time I felt Solidworks to be the One for me. Your link is very interesting and I'm sure it will be useful for many people but I already decided to go with MakerBot even though 2X is expensive and still has some issues using PLA.
Ichan

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:46:52 22:46 »

You'll be delighted until you realize it has its limitations as well. I use it all the time, which then makes you realize what it cannot do,...

I wonder, what is that?

-ichan

solutions

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 10:55:54 22:55 »

solutions, you are also right. I'm going to print mostly simple prototyping plastic parts and I think all 3d tools can do that but for very short time I felt Solidworks to be the One for me. Your link is very interesting and I'm sure it will be useful for many people but I already decided to go with MakerBot even though 2X is expensive and still has some issues using PLA.
Better check your math.

MakerBot is 10x the price

Posted on: July 24, 2013, 11:53:26 23:53 - Automerged

I wonder, what is that?

-ichan

Plastic mold runners, gates, etc.
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:01:43 00:01 »

Solutions, I tend to agree with you.
Pro-Enginner I think is the more popular within the mold making industry, at least they are in China.

OTOH, for the client, any mainstream CAD output can be converted to Pro-E by the factory to CAM a mold out, so not much is lost either.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
yahoo

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:49:19 20:49 »

A week after I started with Solidworks I just wanted to say how happy I am learning the unlimited capabilities of this powerful CAD. It is far beyond all my expectations.
TucoRamirez

Thank You
-Given: 257
-Receive: 115

Tuco ... dead or Alive

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 09:04:12 09:04 »

I 'm working on a housing for my prototype on sketchup ... seems to be quite simple but sometimes i got crazy with intersecting planes ^^

anyway, now i have to get acces to the 3D printer too ^^

Whoever double crosses me and leaves me alive... he understands nothing about Tuco.
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 07:18:54 07:18 »

^That looks like a better application for CNC (or even a stock box with those blocks added in) than 3D printing.  Frankly, 3D sux compared to stuff you can CNC...and CNC is faster and produces a better finish.

Don't get sucked into the hype. It's good at some things, really sucky at others.
TucoRamirez

Thank You

Tuco ... dead or Alive

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:46 11:02 »

yes, but in my case i have no cnc machine available at this moment (evrybody gone for holidays)to do a decent box now, the ***tard in charge put 2 plexiglass and nuts and volts ...  and that 's not good to give to test users to sleep with !!

and i repeat its just to give a decent presentation to the prototypes,  further version will be molded or whatever Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:06:02 11:06 by TucoRamirez » Logged

Whoever double crosses me and leaves me alive... he understands nothing about Tuco.
Ichan

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 08:23:34 20:23 »

anyway, now i have to get acces to the 3D printer too ^^

A lot of 3D printer comparison in here.

-ichan

TucoRamirez

Thank You

Tuco ... dead or Alive

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 09:25:16 21:25 »

A lot of 3D printer comparison in here.

-ichan

yep here they bought 2 , an old reprap and another one coupled with a 3d laser scanner (bluffy)  but nobody is able to work it technically , all the staff that bought that are the lammers and yuppies , anyway gotta work with that ...

CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 08:05:55 08:05 »

^That looks like a better application for CNC (or even a stock box with those blocks added in) than 3D printing.  Frankly, 3D sux compared to stuff you can CNC...and CNC is faster and produces a better finish.

Don't get sucked into the hype. It's good at some things, really sucky at others.

Once you get into the pro grade 3D printers you can get some great results, you just have to pay the price...  The consumer grade desktop printers are novel but produce some real ugly stuff...  A pro grade SLS printer is IMO perfect for project boxes like the above, the final product is real close to your average ABS injection molded properties with the only drawback being you get a satin (looks like 150-220 grit sand paper) finish, instead of a high gloss and depending on the part a few layer build lines, that are easy to knock down with some sandpaper...  Plenty of flex and bend and far from brittle...  If the satin finish is not wanted you can sand and polish or tumble and polish...

No doubt CNC can product superior results (especially in metal) but for one off designs like this unless you have the machines in house or have a hook up CNC can get expensive real quick...  You can have a 3D print house print for a flat per cubic cm rate with no tooling or minium that is actually quite affordable...  A box like the one pictured could probably be 3D printed and dropped at your front door for under $50, on the flip side I can barely get a CNC shop to turn on the machine without a $100 tooling charge...
mexpcb

Thank You
-Given: 35
-Receive: 211

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 04:38:28 16:38 »

Just to let you know about the 3D printer, please search on internet about toxicity of the 3D printers or 3D printers toxic dust..

3D Printers Shown To Emit Potentially Harmful Nanosized Particles
3D Printers May Be As Hazardous To Your Health As Cigarettes, According To New Study

solutions

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 04:31:36 04:31 »

Roll Eyes  Not washing your socks can be even more toxic....

Most of us here should long be dead from all the melted plastic, flux, and other crud we've inhaled from this hobby of ours called "electronics"

Would have been nice of you to post links the things you read vs send 3,000 of us off to Google to find it - please do, next time - don't be shy
 Tongue
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 05:22:09 05:22 »

Just to let you know about the 3D printer, please search on internet about toxicity of the 3D printers or 3D printers toxic dust..

Since I can't afford the six figure machines (that I have my parts run on) at my house, there no exposure for me...  I can't be bothered with the spaghetti resolution desktop machines, as cool as they are I have little use for that low of resolution...

We live in a day and age where it's easy enough to filter air around or coming off a machine or provide necessary ventilation even at home if you choose, be smart about it if you are concerned...

Most of us here should long be dead from all the melted plastic, flux, and other crud we've inhaled from this hobby of ours called "electronics"

Yeah, decades worth of flux, melted wire isolation, melted plastic housings, and toasted PC boards hasn't killed me yet Wink
mexpcb

Thank You
-Given: 35
-Receive: 211

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 07:34:41 19:34 »

this is the official study..

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231013005086
PaulC

Thank You
-Given: 3935

information is free and should be shared for free

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 08:43:23 20:43 »

perspex cubical and fan with filter comes to mind ( sometimes simple approach works just fine ), or just get someone else to do it...

find it , read it , share it .
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 04:08:28 04:08 »

The article focuses on hobby or DIY molten polymer deposition machines, these are like the first dot matrix printers in the world of 3D printers...  And they focus on ones without enclosures and without ventilation, I'm surprised they didn't specify that the heating element not have temperature regulation as well...  These machines are the bottom of the barrel low tech pure DIY hobbyist grade in 3D printing machines...

So much wrong with that article I gave up reading it well before the end...  It wouldn't surprise me if the same group was to put out an article saying spraying paint gives off fumes and is thus harmful if used in your office without ventilation...

A little common sense goes a long way in personal protection...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:11:01 04:11 by CocaCola » Logged
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 11:57:27 23:57 »

If I worry about toxic shit, I would not have been working with electronics.
Damn, I am soldering almost everyday, using either lead wire, paste or bath for the past 30+ years..
gee.. I am worried..
Build yourself ventilation to your working area, and quit holding back..

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2000

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 01:19:28 01:19 »

If I worry about toxic shit, I would not have been working with electronics.
Damn, I am soldering almost everyday, using either lead wire, paste or bath for the past 30+ years..
gee.. I am worried..
Build yourself ventilation to your working area, and quit holding back..

How many times do you hold solder in your mouth while working with 2 hands.... might as well eat the lead. Toxic? yes.. do we care? not really.  Grin

But ok, proper ventilation is a good idea and not necessarily expensive. But when you are focused, you know it is the last thing on your mind.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:23:41 01:23 by optikon » Logged

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...