Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:18:28 20:18

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Which is the best Distro?  (Read 3492 times)
cyber_drifter

Thank You
-Given: 167
-Receive: 32

« on: September 02, 2007, 07:00:15 19:00 »

I've just recently got into Linux. My first distro was Ubuntu, which is good, but I fancy trying different ones to see which one is the best. I'm using Fedora 7 right now which seems a bit more meatier than Ubuntu, but now I have my eye on Debian which I've heard is better for a home server, which is my main interest in Linux. Anyone into web servers and which one do you use?

Best wishes,
Tom
embromation

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 478

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 04:17:52 04:17 »

ubuntu is good! Wink

Share your knowledge!
cicciopanza123
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 09:56:23 09:56 »

hello,
i agree with ubuntu or kubuntu or xubuntu , changes were made in different user interface Grin
i like most kubuntu because of graphic interface.....
also debian release have a dependency scanner very useful for first time users (this is needed to know where a program stop and you don't know why  Wink ) but if  you have time to spend , try this releases  GENTOO excellent in stability SABAYON very useful, stable, and with lot of addons and KNOPPIX for excellent hardware recognise, this are the most but a little bit harder than ubuntu to setting up so by the way you need a little more patience or nerves can crash fast Grin (was kidding ) Hope to help you so.... If you are an electronic and need a very good cad schematic and pcb designer that is free of charge look at KICAD can run on windows or linux very good...

Have a nice day you all....Ciccio
sphinx

Thank You
-Given: 606
-Receive: 265

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:03:16 11:03 »

i would recommend you to start with some linux that has a graphical installation for you to learn and see if it can be of any
interest to continue with. fedora is a great to start with it has a graphical installer and is simple to install, there are other
dists as well u can try like ubuntu and some others as well i cant remember name of. i wouldnt recommend you to start with it
since debian, slackware, crux and of many other are a bit more trickier to install, the new debian is easier if u compare to
previous editions so u might wanna have a go at it, and if u have a fairly fast internet u only need to get first cd since rest
you will download from the net. why i like debian ts because it has a great package management and u can make it pretty
darm small on install (not that this is a problem with todays harddrives), the stable release is for servers and machine u want
to have as stable as possible you can allways install "testing" and "unstable" too but i would recommoend u to start with
"stable" since the other can have some issues with programs(packages) now and then and if you are not familiar with linux
that might be a problem. so have a go and try linux u might find it interesting and wanna learn more, and i would recommend
you to get some kinda book u can read from since that will help you alot if run into problems.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/i386/iso-cd/

get netinst for a complete inetdownload install
CD1 where you have some packages on cd and rest u get from inet

happy linuxing
/sphinx

laws of physics are not laws at all, just assumptions and formulas that work as long as we don't figure something new that wrecks the calculations. the infinite onion try to peel that one
synt
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 03:07:18 03:07 »

really i dont know which one is the best....
do i have favorite yes of course .. and here is ..
-for live cd
smallest linux with gui  DSL - damn small linux live cd it's only 40-50mega its amazing small and with gui its debian knoppix.
medium linux with gui SLAX - bloody fast for live cd with size 100-200mega cause of using union fs its a slackware base and you really should try this one.
big linux backtrack2 - it's build like slax with the capabilities of security network tester its 700mega
-for introduction to absolut newbie
try xandros desktop open circulation it's easy to install, and press ctrl alt + in case of suddently you got blank screen.its mean your monitor refresh rate is insufficient, press the button it will save your screen.
for recovery cause of anything try to boot the cd and press shit key, then select restore xandros, and select whereis your xandros instalation (by default is 1) enter, enter, then wait and reboot thats all your linux work again.
-for complete LINUX
i don't know the answer, i like them all
you should try them all, but if you do not have a time try opensuse, ubuntu, fedora, mandrake
if you have more time try  debian, slackware
if you bless by time then try gentoo
me myseft now use edubuntu(tiny client), openSuSe(novell server), Slackware(i like it), and those 4 liveCD

i really want to know others story about this Grin
cyber_drifter

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 02:27:18 02:27 »

I settled for Fedora 7. I tried Ubuntu and Debian, but Fedora seemed to be what I wanted. It's a big learning curve getting used to it, but now I'm getting into it, It's great  Grin
FriskyFerret

Thank You
-Given: 513
-Receive: 360

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 02:46:46 02:46 »

PCLinuxOS is next best to Ubuntu. It really shines.

Dancing pants and leotards, that's what I'm talkin' about!
cyber_drifter

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 01:56:08 13:56 »

PCLinuxOS Looks really good  Grin. I still have an old windows computer for running stuff that Linux can't handle, but Linux is the one I use on the net.
FriskyFerret

Thank You

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 04:35:16 16:35 »

PCLinuxOS has been moving up the rankings since spring and now is now #1 on one ranking site.

See: http://distrowatch.com

Rankings are in the column on the right side of the page. This site is where I find all the different distros to try out.

sphinx

Thank You
-Given: 606
-Receive: 265

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 05:38:54 17:38 »

in the end it all depends on wat u gonna use it for and who is going to use it, and what most doesnt understand is almost the same things people install KDE GNOME or something else, if that person has more knowledge he might choose a version of linux
thats a bit more advanced to install and configure or if not he might choose a dist thats easy to install. i once started with that
and have now gone over to a debian dist and thats my preference so its personal choice and not that one is better than the other i dont care if someone uses fedora redhat slack pclinux or whatever the nema might be and if its better or not well that a very subjective thing to say. so people use whatever u like and be happy with it try different ones and see if u might find any other dist that u might like better there are so many to choose from and if there are any differences between them it might be
when u install them since all of them use a base of programs thats all of them use.

so choose one if u dont it get another one or make a dist urself and use it

/sphinx

laws of physics are not laws at all, just assumptions and formulas that work as long as we don't figure something new that wrecks the calculations. the infinite onion try to peel that one
kernelx

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 27

rm -rf /

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 12:53:59 12:53 »

In my opinion, the best distro is still Debian. Why Huh
Ubuntu is derived from Debian
Knoppix is derived from Debian and much more distro which is based on Debian.

I'm just simply a newbie in electronics field.
FriskyFerret

Thank You

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:30:14 23:30 »

Puppy and Damn Small are a couple of small distros (<100 MB) distros that are fast, compatible and simple to use. Both are available in Live CD versions.

greywolf
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 04:59:01 04:59 »

For all those who have not tried Linux as yet. I have the video "Introduction to Linux" by the Virtual Training Company. Please indicate your interest and I will upload the iso to Rapidchare.

greywolf
hemlig
Translator

Thank You
-Given: 26
-Receive: 50

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 04:04:56 16:04 »

@greywolf

That might be interesting - go ahead with the upload..

If it work don't fix it!
kolin

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 19

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 05:46:52 17:46 »

I'm using ClarkConnect 4 on my home server. It's running as router (with traffic shaping), file server for windows boxes, web server (php, mysql), ftp server, email server (with webmail). I'm using CC because it's very well preconfigured for server (unlike ubuntu which is best for desktop) with all-in-one web config. Only limitation is 10 mailboxes with community edition. But most people will still use gmail etc...
I also deployed it in mom's company without problems
cyber_drifter

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 01:45:30 13:45 »

I've just been on their site and tried to download the free community addition, but with no look - just says "requested page not found", for v4.1, but I managed to download the older version v4.0. Is there much difference between the the v4.0 and the newer version?

Regards,
Tom
kolin

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 19

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 04:58:28 16:58 »

I've just been on their site and tried to download the free community addition, but with no look - just says "requested page not found", for v4.1, but I managed to download the older version v4.0. Is there much difference between the the v4.0 and the newer version?

Regards,
Tom
there is not much difference.
http://download.clarkconnect.com/community/4.2/iso/community-4.2.iso
this link worked for me
stam
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 09:03:04 21:03 »

I am using Ubuntu 6.06, it's kind of old (since there is 7.10 i think) but it works fine for me, also the battery of my laptop seem to love it, when i installed ubuntu i saw a 20% more ontime! Smiley
kernelx

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 27

rm -rf /

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 07:33:29 07:33 »

I think to be the best distro is depends on our needs and customs. For example for an old computer you may prefer DSL. It is quite difficult to say which is the best since there are many llinux distros out there. Windows is the best for its own class (windows type) because of what it is only one Smiley  that is different from Linux type (a lot of distributions).

I'm just simply a newbie in electronics field.
nismo
Translator

Thank You
-Given: 25
-Receive: 14

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 03:13:50 15:13 »

Personaly i prefer Fedora after all depends on the needs for each one.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...