Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:56:30 10:56

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: looking for input on radio am/fm choice  (Read 3646 times)
sphinx

Thank You
-Given: 604
-Receive: 260

« on: November 05, 2022, 07:48:27 19:48 »

i have searched som on the net but seem not to find what i am looking for.

i would like to get an older silicon based radio (easier to get these components than germanuim nowdays)
made with discrete components so it would be easier to service since older ic's are not that easy to find
i am looking for something like a kitchen radio maybe a bit better recption no need for it to be a "superradio"
any suggestions?

laws of physics are not laws at all, just assumptions and formulas that work as long as we don't figure something new that wrecks the calculations. the infinite onion try to peel that one
bigtoy

Thank You
-Given: 322
-Receive: 297

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 12:11:51 00:11 »

Type "transistor radio" into AliExpress and you'll find quite a few options. And pretty cheap.
sphinx

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 12:55:45 00:55 »

i was sorta looking for an older radio from 80's or somesthing similar si-based ones

i would think most new ones are ic-based i would much prefer a discrete components as much as possible

i would not mind to pay 25-100 euro for it that i can repair.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 12:58:26 00:58 by sphinx » Logged

laws of physics are not laws at all, just assumptions and formulas that work as long as we don't figure something new that wrecks the calculations. the infinite onion try to peel that one
zac

Thank You
-Given: 81
-Receive: 57

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 05:19:32 17:19 »

There are good all-discrete transistor radios made by Grundig and some japanese companies (sanyo?) from the 1970s on ebay.

I have a Grundig 1005 that was supposed to be a good shortwave and am/fm receiver made with all discretes.  My parents got it in the early 1970s.  I haven't used it in many years though.   

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_concert_boy_transistor_10.html

My parents also had a couple rca/ge superradio's that are still sitting in boxes somewhere.  Those are IC based, but worked for decades without service and replacement parts are readily available.

http://earmark.net/gesr/
sphinx

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 05:41:45 17:41 »

i will have a look at the schematic i would much prefer discrete over ic and si over ge since nowdays ge can still be obtained russian though not sure how easily those will be to get

i have watched "shango" on yt and he is getting them from there. i might have some in my boxes i remember some ocxxx number i am not sure of but those are 13-15mm long round tube
might be made of glass. i know about tin-whiskers that can occur in some types.

thats why i would prefer si over ge.

since i am not sure when si came into the electronics and manufacturers started to build with those so i could llok for a certain aga of radio

thanx i have a bit more info where i can look

p.s. i dont know how many diodes i destroyed when i was around 10y i thought those were lamps since there was a thin wire inside, now i know and perhaps a bit wiser not
to destroy any diodes

i remember the sanyo brand

i also remember a quite expenxive sony radio i bought for my dad to listen on am with after perhaps 3 years that radio needed all caps to be replaced and that was all smd's in it
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 05:45:28 17:45 by sphinx » Logged

Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 959

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 05:53:04 17:53 »

You have this site
https://worldradiohistory.com/index.htm huge site a lot of magazines books etc. A real rabbit hole to go down deep in

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
sphinx

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 06:12:51 18:12 »

as i didnt already know about this rabbit hole veeeeeeeeeery deeep

they dont make it simple and say this si based and this one is ge base, one have to pick one and then look for schematic

i just dont know wihich is a good one or bad one among all models

i remember some old brands like blaupunkt itt grundig sanyo there are more i just cant find the storage box for those in my head.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...