Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:15:13 16:15

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Direction of advanced study question  (Read 10435 times)
PM3295

Thank You
-Given: 339
-Receive: 132

« on: October 26, 2020, 04:43:25 16:43 »

Hi Members,

I wonder if someone can give some suggestions/advice for further study?

Here is the question:

My daughter ( 21 years old  Kiss ), just completed her Masters in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. She wants to continue with a PhD program, but can't decide if it should be in robotics or power electronics. I am a power electronics guy, so I am biased. What in your opinion should have better career prospects in the long run?

Both fields seem to be pushing the envelope with more self-driving vehicles and dense high-power  systems. Where will there be a bigger demand for skilled engineers?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:02:01 17:02 by PM3295 » Logged
metal
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 862
-Receive: 678

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:41:43 21:41 »

AI seems to be the future for all majors and specialties, whether you like it or not Smiley

You can AI in image processing, sensor networks, network FW/IPS/IDS, network protocols, databases, control systems, etc.. Power electronics are just power electronics, AI can be applied to plenty to any thing that needs to become smarter. Also, the trend is now for AI, and most funds are directed towards AI related topics.
PM3295

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 01:51:30 01:51 »

I am also leaning towards the AI route to be honest. It is much more math intensive with lots of programming as well. She just happens to love programming and advanced linear algebra.
token0

Thank You
-Given: 55
-Receive: 97

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 02:22:05 02:22 »

I'd choose power electronics, because it will never get irrelevant, and you actually could help her. Everyone needs power. AI is still a novel thing, and honestly, you can't say what it would be like in 5 years.
PM3295

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 03:53:05 03:53 »

One of my concerns is that most  AI work can easily be sourced to another country with lower labor rates as it is mainly software based as I understand. High-power  electronics, on the other hand, involves hardware that can be bulky, heavy and may not be so easy to source the work outside the country and ship it back and forth for testing.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 03:55:53 03:55 by PM3295 » Logged
metal
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 862
-Receive: 678

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 07:12:07 07:12 »

Most respectable research facilities don't outsource their research projects, don't believe this lie. Still if I wanted to do a PhD I would go for sensor networks! I would not go into AI, but I have been watching the funds for the last two years, mostly are on AI/embedded systems related.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 09:51:56 09:51 »

Hi Members,

I wonder if someone can give some suggestions/advice for further study?

Here is the question:

My daughter ( 21 years old  Kiss ), just completed her Masters in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. She wants to continue with a PhD program, but can't decide if it should be in robotics or power electronics.

You need to get your nose out of it, completely. She's trying to please daddy, IMO.

Clearly, she just spend a lot of time and stress in getting a Master's (AT 21?Huh) in one of the two choices that are on the table - she either didn't develop a passion for it, which means time to move on, or she liked it but doesn't like the disappointment she sees in your face for not following in your footsteps.

All that aside - do you really want to be the one who gets blamed for career misery, or for deciding to go into a field everybody else is (the 4-year-olds-playing-soccer paradigm...everybody goes to the ball)?

She's 21, let her decide her own fate. And you'll stand by her with full approval, whatever SHE picks. Right?
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2000

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 12:22:29 12:22 »

Yes, layout the pro's and con's for her from your perspective. You being a PE guy, you can at least provide more details on that front which can actually be done in a non biased way as long as you stick with facts. I dont think you have to keep your nose out of it, she wants some advice - nothing wrong with that as long as you arent trying to convince her one way or another.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
PM3295

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 02:16:58 14:16 »

You need to get your nose out of it, completely. She's trying to please daddy, IMO.
She's 21, let her decide her own fate. And you'll stand by her with full approval, whatever SHE picks. Right?

solutions, I am very careful not to steer it either way, or any way. Luckily, she has a mind of her own and often after asking for my advice did something else. I just got used to that and accepted it.
sfiga69

Thank You
-Given: 193
-Receive: 159

In the order is preserved, in the mess is created.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 11:11:43 23:11 »

I can only tell you what I did with my 2 daughters (now 34 and 29 years old).
the first daughter was undecided between letters, law or economics.
In the end, the choice chose law for how university buildings physically looked Shocked.
Now, 9 years after graduating with honors, he has his own studio and is having some success.
The second daughter chose mathematical engineering because at the presentation of the courses it was said that she would be able to solve equations with 1000 unknowns without using a computer.
During the courses she worked on mathematical models related to the propagation of electromagnetic waves, mathematical models on high voltage electrical distribution networks and the final thesis on a mathematical model of oxygen distribution in tissues and in particular in the human brain. .
Now he works for a luxury multinational and is responsible for optimizing IP connections between offices, shops and server farms.
My contribution was: do what you want to do, now we cannot know what the possibilities will be in 5 years. The important thing is to follow the course of study that you like most to arrive at the end satisfied with what you have studied. So look for a job that allows you to go home satisfied with what you have produced.
LabVIEWguru

Thank You
-Given: 270
-Receive: 593

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 11:40:26 11:40 »

My daughter-in-law was studying Piano pedagogy (to teach or play piano professionally) She is very beautiful and very talented. To hear her play piano would bring tears to my eyes. Most of her professors thought they were the best in the world and were not kind to the students. One day, she realized it was not fun any more and quit. They begged her to stay. Then she went to a technical school, learned accounting, makes good money and teaches piano to children and is very happy. Do not push your children.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...