Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:39:14 11:39

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MP3401 3.7V to 5V  (Read 4479 times)
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 538
-Receive: 408

« on: September 02, 2019, 10:27:31 22:27 »

I have a working project that uses some NRF24L01 for my wireless meter which runs off 2 AA batteries, The range is good on it and had no real issues with. Now I have some battery banks that use the 18650 battery and the chip inside it is an MP3401 which has the boost and charging built in one.

I've seen a review on it and thought may be I could use this in my project but just running it from it the power bank the range has some what been reduced, I think this is due it not been a clean output.
I've not yet had the scope on it to see the ripple or how smooth the output is as I've only just looking at it. But at a guess this may be able to be taken care off with a filter and some smoothing caps on the output. The idea is, Is jut to copy the circuit and add to my PCB save having extra PCB mounted in my case where the space is tight.

The question is there may be a better part that I can use ?
What would you guys suggest and a good method to boost 3.7V to 5V with a clean output that can charge the battery as well (not at the same time of charging and been used).

I've attached a schematic that I watched on the review  to see what you think, As I don't really want to spend to much time (If I can help it like to take care and design the PCB for it and see If I can get rid of some of the ripple) if there is a better method.

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
zac

Thank You
-Given: 81
-Receive: 57

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 03:36:14 03:36 »

How about running it directly from the 18650 cell without regulation? 

PS.  I purchased several of these 24L01 based modules with an rf amp that offers much longer range than with the 24L01 alone.  Even using the pcb trace antenna, the signal is reliable through several interior walls while the 24L01 by itself barely made it through 1 wall.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRMJJY5
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:44:33 03:44 by zac » Logged
Old_but_Alive

Thank You
-Given: 699
-Receive: 118

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 06:02:51 06:02 »

only $1.79 if you can wait for them to come from china  Smiley

https://www.banggood.com/1100-Meter-Long-Distance-NRF24L01PALNA-Wireless-Module-With-Antenna-p-1057170.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

I fought Ohm's Law ...  and the law won
I only use Mosfets because I have a Bipolar mental disorder :-)
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 06:51:41 06:51 »

I've add no issues with the modules, I want to change the battery from 2 AA to the 18650's but I shall be using 2 x 14500 batteries in parallel as they are the same size as the AA batteries and these will fit direct into the existing case.
I did consider using 3.3V but had to use 5V, AS I need a +/- power supply for the op-amps and I used an ICL7660 to generate the -. Plus it was easier for the 2X8 LCD, I could only get the 5v from the suppliers that I use.

I may consider looking at making 3V but then would I use and LDO regulator without wasting power or dc/dc converter to drop it down to 3.3V. But the down side to that is I would lose my auto power control,

Where I press a button for 2 seconds to turn it on/off then after a pre-set time it turns it's self off and this has it's down fall once the batteries get bit low I can't turn it off with the button press, Schematic attached.

This is why I was looking at that power bank boards  as I can get them complete for £2.00 GBP, These generate the 5V all the time so this would work well with the auto power feature on/off.

Again this may be bit of an overkill to control it but it works well and there is a library for it which just makes it easier for me.

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
Checksum8

Thank You
-Given: 123
-Receive: 100

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 05:24:26 17:24 »

I've also seen the MT3608 used in power banks.

https://prom-electric.ru/media/MT3608.pdf
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 10:14:07 22:14 »

I've also seen the MT3608 used in power banks.

https://prom-electric.ru/media/MT3608.pdf
I shall see about ordering some of these to try, There cheaper to by complete so I can unsolder them and mount them on my own PCB if they live up it.

I've been looking at other types too.

Where I said about the range is some what reduced form the NRF20L01 what I should of said is I use these out doors and the range is very good for what I need, Using the above power bank the range seem to be reduced but I then also lose packets of data like the TX signal is lost for a second or two, Running from the batteries I don't suffer this issue.

Thanks for your input guys

zac

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 01:16:22 01:16 »

They have the exact same module as on amazon for $4 (-15% for 2+)

https://www.banggood.com/GT-24-Digital-Wireless-Module-2_4G-NRF24L01-PA-LNA-Industrial-Grade-1100M-Long-Distance-With-Non-wel-p-1361350.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:19:17 00:19 by zac » Logged
Old_but_Alive

Thank You
-Given: 699
-Receive: 118

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 06:34:33 06:34 »

my module includes the antenna, the other one has a pcb trace, so wont go very far.

mine is 1/2 the cost

I fought Ohm's Law ...  and the law won
I only use Mosfets because I have a Bipolar mental disorder :-)
zac

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 12:21:13 00:21 »

my module includes the antenna, the other one has a pcb trace, so wont go very far.

mine is 1/2 the cost

I'm not suggesting the pcb antenna trace version is better, but noticed that banggood.com does have it. For my application, I can't use the external antenna version easily as it will not physically fit inside the enclosure, but the pcb trace antenna is a drop in replacement.  
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...