Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:44:14 05:44

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 3d package for ex-draughtsman  (Read 3729 times)
towlerg

Thank You
-Given: 474
-Receive: 104

What is this for?

« on: November 30, 2018, 12:22:49 12:22 »

A million years ago I was a draughtsman, long before CAD. When I visualize an object I think of it as old fashioned projection ie 3 views blueprint. I wonder does a 3d package exist that will produce output for 3d printer from that kind of input?

Win 7 Ult x64 SP1 on HP2570p
Magnox

Thank You
-Given: 976
-Receive: 279

Oink!

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 07:41:07 19:41 »

Maybe it's not exactly what you mean, but I use Blender for 3D modelling.

You can work in flat/isometric projections from any angle as well as full 3D mode (a 6-axis controller like my SpaceMouse is wonderful for that  Cool ). It is also supposedly very good for 3D printing output. I just wish I had a 3D printer to go with it.

Best of all, Blender is free. It's a powerful application and has even been used to make real Hollywood movies.

Just search 'blender 3d printing' and you'll get loads of hits.
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 12:17:49 00:17 »

Solidworks will do it, but it's not magic and the learning curve is steep, but than again it's a professional grade software package used across many industries...

http://help.solidworks.com/2018/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Example_of_2D_to_3D_Conversion.htm

One word of note, even though the learning curve is steep especially if you go at it yourself, if you can take a simple getting started class at a community college or find someone to tutor you 1:1 for a few several hours you will be well on your way...  For me just having someone (that used it every day professionally) sit down with me for about 4 hours creating a simple part in front of me gave me a huge headstart to build upon, I followed up with some Youtube videos and tutorials found online and I was creating some pretty fancy parts on my own the next week...  Granted I was no pro but I was able to get take my visions to a basic 3D model...
Magnox

Thank You
-Given: 976
-Receive: 279

Oink!

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 02:22:58 14:22 »

Solidworks is definitely more CAD/engineering orientated than Blender. The example in that link, converting a 2D diagram into a 3D model, can all be done in Blender but maybe with a little more faffing about. I've imported 2D diagrams and made them into models, but not often because I find it easier to just make it in Blender from scratch.

Blender does lots of things that, while many would be useful for printing models, are mostly aimed at computer animation and scene rendering. Things like automatic edge beveling, smoothing by interpolating and adding polygons, decimating to produce lower level-of-detail models, complex texture mapping, up to full character animation in a scene with multiple light sources.

Blender is more comparable to things like Maya and 3ds Max.

ETA: Oh, and as to learning curves... one of the most often shouted complaints about Blender is the completely counter-intuitive interface. It certainly takes some getting used to. I think I managed mostly OK because I hadn't used any other 3D programs, so had no habits or expectations.

I still love what I can do with it though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:25:48 14:25 by Magnox » Logged
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 959

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:37:19 11:37 »

You will find a lot of Solidsworks related material on Youtube. As always some  are good and some of the material plain bad. You can download Solidworks and get a free trail period. However as far as I understand Solidsworks has a very sneaky way of collecting information and calling home if you use a cracked version. So be very careful and do not use a cracked version from a business related network. I have also heard of cases there non business users have been targeted by Solidworks for using a cracked version. I am not a user of solidworks my self

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...