Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:47:06 13:47

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I found some useful links for PCB design....  (Read 3543 times)
Sushilogic

Thank You
-Given: 679
-Receive: 1017

« on: June 04, 2018, 07:03:04 07:03 »

While looking for decent software to panelize some gerbers, I stumbled upon this page : https://www.macaos.com/support/techinfo

There are some great links there to some handy articles and also useful design tools for PCB design (the Saturn PCB Design Toolkit looks good and it's free : http://www.saturnpcb.com/pcb_toolkit.htm)

The Macaos Gallery software looks interesting too - I'm going to apply for a trial - anyone use it?
allegro

Thank You
-Given: 32
-Receive: 43

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:03:37 15:03 »

I have used Macaos quite a lot in the past. It is easy to use; import gerber and drill and do what you need to do. Then you can easily quote prices with different volumes and delivery times and order. At least in the past you could not export any processed data from Macaos to send to another board manufacturer. Ask them about this. Way back Macaos was developed by a norwegian board manufacturer in an attempt to optimize production (different designs sharing panels etc.), and offer a better price.  Macaos is wysiwug, and with a push of a button you get some boards back according to your spec.

I used it last year for one inhouse prototype, but prefer to send my gerbers directly to the manufacturer. They take care of everything, and I get a ready manufactured board back for testing. The pcb price is much the same compared to Macaos. But what is most important for me is that I can discuss technical matters, capability and impedance requirements directly with the manufacturer, and this is good value included in the price.

Not sure if that helped? 

/allegro
Sushilogic

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:03:38 22:03 »

Thanks allegro,

Id be keen to try the Gallery edition which is paid, however it allows you to export the gerbers.

I've shot them a request for  trial.

I'm using the Stencil8 (http://www.hoektronics.com/2012/10/27/super-simple-smt-stencil8/) system for manual paste application via a frameless stencil, and therefore it is pretty handy to be able to easily put together a custom panel (and stencil) with the required tooling holes - hopefully Macaos Gallery will do the job. Many of the other packages (Cam350, etc) appear to have a bit more of a learning curve, though may be more powerful in the end.

Cheers,
Sushilogic
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:26:29 00:26 by Sushilogic » Logged
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 12:53:18 00:53 »

Thanks allegro,

Id be keen to try the Gallery edition which is paid, however it allows you to export the gerbers.

I've shot them a request for  trial.

I'm using the Stencil8 (http://www.hoektronics.com/2012/10/27/super-simple-smt-stencil8/) system for manual paste application via a frameless stencil...

Cheers,
Sushilogic

you will let us know how much it cost you to have this high precision piece of CNC artwork fabricated.. ?

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
Sushilogic

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:08:56 04:08 »

you will let us know how much it cost you to have this high precision piece of CNC artwork fabricated.. ?

I drew  the Stencil8 block in Solidworks - 300mm x 200mm with a 29 x 19 grid of tooling holes at 10mm centres. The tooling holes are 2.5mm diameter. I had it machined from 16mm T6061-T6 plate - cost me AUD$160 to have it made (hello from Brisbane Australia!).

That's a lot of holes, but the size gives me pretty good flexibility with small panels/stencils - I just have to ensure I have a tooling hole in each corner in some multiple of 10mm apart. Frameless stencils are fairly cheap these days - even in stainless steel with electropolished aperatures. When I order my stencils I tell them its for the Stencil8 system and they provide stainless steel pins with the stencil. The pins on course can be used over and over with many different stencils.

The system works well for low volume work - after paste application I hand place the components, then re-flow the boards using a converted toaster oven (I'm using the Whizoo Controleo 3 kit http://www.whizoo.com/controleo3).

Cheers,
Sushilogic

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:22:59 04:22 by Sushilogic » Logged
Sushilogic

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 10:52:57 10:52 »

I did end up getting the trial license for Macaos Gallery, and initial impressions are good, very good. I'll spend a bit more time with it and post some further feedback then.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...