Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 08:55:30 08:55

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you prevent your solder paste drying out?  (Read 4384 times)
Cain

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 102

« on: May 19, 2017, 08:01:23 20:01 »

Quite a few times it dry's out for me in the syringe (in the needle). To counter that I just started pushing a thin needle into the syringe (fits perfectly) and then place a blob of "clay" (don't know the English term for it but if I say it's used to put up posters on the wall you know what I mean ) to make it air tight.

Don't know it it works yet and curious how you guys are doing it?

Checksum8

Thank You
-Given: 122
-Receive: 100

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:49 21:01 »

I never had much luck with the syringes after couple of uses. So what I do now is spoon some out of the storage syringe and onto a plastic surface. Then I take some "Chipquick" SMD291 flux and mix it in a little at a time until I get the right consistency. Then I put this into a clean syringe. Or stencil it on. The flux brings the solder back to life. I wouldn't use this method on a production run or some critical application. But for protos and hobby use it seems to be okay.
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:09:17 00:09 »

I use the tapered luer lock style http://www.newark.com/productimages/standard/en_US/3757518.jpg

I keep it in the fridge, in a ziplock, and generally don't have any problems.  We have some syringes that have been in the fridge for a year with use ever few months and it is generally OK.
vern
V.I.P

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 41

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:32:01 21:32 »

Put it in a Ziplock in a fridge. Smoothe out as much air from the ziplock as possible before closing it.
If you have some desiccant bag from buying components put them in the ziplock too. With moisture the solder paste will age faster.
Before using let it warm up to room temperature in the ziplock, because otherwise humidity from the air will condense on the cold paste and spoil your solder joints.
snowman666

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 37

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 01:17:50 13:17 »

I sometimes add a bit of isopropyl alcohol to the solder paste when the texture becomes too thick and hard to work with. I then mix the stuff and store in a fridge. The alcohol helps improve the viscosity and long term storage. The best part of this, is that the alcohol evaporates during the reflow process  Cheesy
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1091
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:27:57 23:27 »

I keep it in the fridge, in a ziplock, and generally don't have any problems.  We have some syringes that have been in the fridge for a year with use ever few months and it is generally OK.

This works for me too. I use only the jar containers of it, gave up on the syringes years ago.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
kayvee

Thank You
-Given: 98
-Receive: 101

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 06:34:44 06:34 »

I only use it in 500g jars/tubs, I don't have a problem, mainly due to I use them up too quickly before it has a chance to dry out Cheesy

Keeping airtight and in a fridge is a must, and never open the before it has reached room temperature, as vern pointed out.
pushycat

Thank You
-Given: 210
-Receive: 1445

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 07:24:10 07:24 »

Rather you cant directly prevent the solder paste from drying out but i tried a wired way which worked to be the best of all. Please note i am referring to the one flux which is yellow in color and  whose base content is Natural rosin. When the flux dries out, you can mix it with No clean white liquid flux which regains the soft texture of the soldering paste as well takes a long time to dry again depending on the quantity you add. It worked for me to preserve flux pastes. Or in case you know a bit of chemical engineering and know better of chemicals, you can formulate your own fluxes for immediate use and prefer not to store.
Flux formulas with their chemical compositions and lot information can be found on this link below which i found useful.
http://www.rosin-depot.com/liquidfluxformulas.html
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...