The Godfather talking
This is god damn my place! Capisci?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:22:25 05:22

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Method which can be used to get the shape of an object ?  (Read 3238 times)
xpress_embedo

Thank You
-Given: 122
-Receive: 254

« on: January 16, 2017, 11:22:15 11:22 »

Hello Everyone

Is there any method/sensor which can be used to get the shape of an object (Shape can be of any type no predefined shapes, surface can be irregular) on PC.
The object who's shape need to be determined is present inside a box having dimensions of 1 meter length, 50 cm height and breadth.
I know this can be done with camera, but at present i want to know the possibility for other approaches.
Thanks in Advance.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:52 13:25 »

What's the box made of?

What's in the box?

Live or dead (not knowing this means I can always guarantee dead)?

What's it made of?

Where is the box?

What is it sitting on?

Are you looking for a desired shape or pattern?

To what resolution?

2D or 3D?

blah blah blah blah blah

As you can see, you came up a bit short on asking what you want
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:26:22 20:26 »

Shape can be of any type no predefined shapes, surface can be irregular) on PC.

You have to have predefined shapes, computers don't just make things up as they go, a computer knows nothing until you define what it's supposed to look/compare for or against...

Plus as Solutions said, you need many more paragraphs of specifics and details, down to every minute detail you can imagine...

Also you say you know it can be done with a 'camera' well by definition a camera is a device that captures visual images, so yeah a camera of some type is a necessity in this case, not an option, if the object is to be determined visually...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:59:51 20:59 by CocaCola » Logged
xpress_embedo

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:44 06:03 »

Have a look at this video, this is DIY 3D Scanner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qeD2__yK4c

I want to make some thing like that, but the difference is that the SharpIR sensor this guy uses is of very short range and my box in which this setup will present is big in size ( The Box is made of Ceramic).
There are some other SharpIR sensor which works at higher ranges as well, so i purchased this one GP2Y0A21 which have a range from 10cm to 80cm and i think this is sufficient range for my box.
Another difference is that, in the above video the object under scan rotates, while in my case i can't rotate the object (must condition can't change this), so I think, i need to use multiple lead screw assemblies, probably placed at diagonally opposite position, to do the same thing this guy has done.

For object (non-living or dead), again it can be anything that can be easily fitted inside the box which i am using.

So what i am thinking, to attach SharpIR sensor on a servo motor (servo motor will rotate from 0-90 degree for a particular height) and then attach this setup on Lead Screw assembly connected on Stepper Motor ( used for upward and downward direction movement).
By using this setup, i will get boundary of object for particular height of sensor, and then in PC, MATLAB will be used to plot the points to get the 3D shape of the object.
This is what i have thought and i am working on it, but after purchasing SharpIR sensor and measuring distance with that sensor i got lots of fluctuations in readings.
So i am reconsidering my approach, and asking for any other solution or any modification in this approach to get better results.

CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:08 09:39 »

Depending on how 'accurate' you need the scan you can do this with a simple digital camera and the right stitching software...

http://www.instructables.com/id/3d-Scan-Anything-Using-Just-a-Camera/

There are other ways to do it with cameras and laser pointers as well...

http://www.makerscanner.com/

All these allow a for a much bigger scanning area...
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:54:27 09:54 »

What do you mean by "shape"? What is the end use of the output?

Also, I don't understand the ceramic box - why is it there, why is it ceramic, why isn't the scanned object simply taken out of the box (you could make an unboxing mechanism for ceramic boxes.....drop a big hammer on it)?
xpress_embedo

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:59:45 12:59 »

Depending on how 'accurate' you need the scan you can do this with a simple digital camera and the right stitching software...

http://www.instructables.com/id/3d-Scan-Anything-Using-Just-a-Camera/

There are other ways to do it with cameras and laser pointers as well...

http://www.makerscanner.com/

All these allow a for a much bigger scanning area...

Thanks for sharing the links.
But i can't use camera, i will consider using the laser pointers.

Posted on: January 17, 2017, 01:54:21 13:54 - Automerged

What do you mean by "shape"? What is the end use of the output?

You are too curious and that's a very good thing.

For me and my client shape mean any non-living thing any object that can be placed inside the box which i am mentioning.
Right now i don't know what's the use of output, may be it will be used to 3D print those object which are scanned.

Also, I don't understand the ceramic box - why is it there, why is it ceramic, why isn't the scanned object simply taken out of the box (you could make an unboxing mechanism for ceramic boxes.....drop a big hammer on it)?

Well i don't know why it is ceramic, but it is ceramic, and it has a door in the front which is used to place the objects inside it.
You can visualize the system like a microwave oven, which has a front door to place something inside it.

CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 05:45:45 17:45 »

But i can't use camera, i will consider using the laser pointers.

Why can't you use cameras, it's the most straight forward and practical way to identify an object visually?

The fact that the object is in a ceramic box and a camera can't be used, to me smells a lot like a problem presented for a school project with some obvious obstacles and restrictions put in place, to force you to think outside the box...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:34:11 18:34 by CocaCola » Logged
Cyberrat

Thank You
-Given: 565
-Receive: 128

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 06:47:57 18:47 »

Xray?
Ultrasound? (works well for identifying babies)
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 09:50:02 09:50 »

It has a door, so you can use a Kobayashi Maru strategy - a door means you can take the object out of the box and scan it using conventional methods. Put it back if you have to.

If it was a sealed box, different story. But, it isn't.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...