Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:38:29 16:38

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Layman heat sink design?  (Read 3798 times)
max

Thank You
-Given: 1601
-Receive: 52

« on: October 05, 2016, 08:38:43 20:38 »

Hi

how to design a heat sink without going into mathematical details.

e.g requires the heat sink for LM317 which dissipating a 10watt power
using flat aluminum sheet having 3mm thickness.

Fate arrived and made the conscious unconscious It silenced the activity of life.
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 961

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:18:51 21:18 »

I would say home made heatsinks are really not that good. And it will be kind of hard to do proper calculations. If I may come up with an suggestion. Calculate what kind of heatsink you need. Then find some examples on proper heatsinks from say online catalogs. Using these data you can go dumpster diving to find something that may work. If the heat sink is somewhat overdimensioned it does not matter   

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2001

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:38:37 22:38 »

Hi

how to design a heat sink without going into mathematical details.

e.g requires the heat sink for LM317 which dissipating a 10watt power
using flat aluminum sheet having 3mm thickness.

10 Watts? Seem like you have a serious design problem. I am not sure what package you plan to use, but I think if you need to dissipate 10W, then its going to be trouble.

I suggest you look at putting an outboard transistor (look it up) to help share the power dissipation or if you can tolerate the cost and noise, look at a switch mode solution.

Have these options been considered? If it were my design and I found I needed to dissipate 10W in a single package, I would be looking at how to re design for a better situation.

Even if you find a heatsink, 10W - yuck.. you really want to do that?

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:12:20 23:12 »

Irregardless of the amount of dissipation in said design as has been pointed out, it's really dollar stupid to design your own heat sinks when properly designed commercial ones are so cheap...

You can get some very decent legacy used computer CPU heatsinks for free or dirt cheap, you simply can't make or even consider designing one for the cost of buying and properly mounted they can easily dissipate 10W and laugh back at you asking for more...
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 12:56:18 00:56 »

Irregardless of the amount of dissipation in said design as has been pointed out, it's really dollar stupid to design your own heat sinks when properly designed commercial ones are so cheap...

You can get some very decent legacy used computer CPU heatsinks for free or dirt cheap, you simply can't make or even consider designing one for the cost of buying and properly mounted they can easily dissipate 10W and laugh back at you asking for more...

I know you are going to hate me for this and it is shitty and super anal, but it's one of those pet peeves.  Irregardless isn't a word.  Use regardless.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/irregardless
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 01:36:31 01:36 »

I know you are going to hate me for this and it is shitty and super anal, but it's one of those pet peeves.  Irregardless isn't a word.  Use regardless.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/irregardless

And you might hate me for this, but I'm not a student in your anal English class...  A Nonstandard word does not equate to not being a word, it is in fact a word in common use even if your self elevated $@#$% anal pet peeve jumps up and down screaming it's not...

Words and speech in any living language are ever evolving, especially in the English language that has distinct forked dialects worldwide...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Usage Discussion of irregardless
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

A good read that will most certainly get your pet peeve is a hissy...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathon-owen/yes-irregardless-is-a-wor_b_4434749.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:43:28 01:43 by CocaCola » Logged
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:29:42 09:29 »

Wow! It looks like Maxs LM317, is not the only thing that need to loose some heat here. As an aside I think I need some popcorn here. And it is not even Friday yet Cool

pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 01:39:44 13:39 »

10 Watts? Seem like you have a serious design problem. I am not sure what package you plan to use, but I think if you need to dissipate 10W, then its going to be trouble.

I suggest you look at putting an outboard transistor (look it up) to help share the power dissipation or if you can tolerate the cost and noise, look at a switch mode solution.

Have these options been considered? If it were my design and I found I needed to dissipate 10W in a single package, I would be looking at how to re design for a better situation.

Even if you find a heatsink, 10W - yuck.. you really want to do that?

He may want to heat his work bench, you do know winter is coming.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
intel

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 2141

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 02:31:07 14:31 »

Maybe this link helps a little.

http://www.myheatsinks.com/calculate/thermal-resistance-plate-fin/
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Heat-Sink-Temperature-Calculator.phtml
http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/York/Bobsclass/2C/Tutorials/Heatsinks/heatsinks.htm

In life, most genuine mentor is science.
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 03:54:29 15:54 »

He may want to heat his work bench, you do know winter is coming.

My hot iron is hot enough to heat the whole room. And I am the only one who are allowed to even touch it. Some thing do not belong in others persons hand. They do not how to clean it properly using at wet sponge and gently rub it after use
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:05:33 16:05 by Sideshow Bob » Logged

Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 05:27:37 05:27 »

And you might hate me for this, but I'm not a student in your anal English class...  A Nonstandard word does not equate to not being a word, it is in fact a word in common use even if your self elevated $@#$% anal pet peeve jumps up and down screaming it's not...

Words and speech in any living language are ever evolving, especially in the English language that has distinct forked dialects worldwide...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

A good read that will most certainly get your pet peeve is a hissy...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathon-owen/yes-irregardless-is-a-wor_b_4434749.html

HAHAAHAH, sorry I got you all wound up.  

Your huffington post article is absolutely right "To put it a different way, the problem with irregardless is entirely social: If you use it, you’ll be thought of as uneducated, even though everyone can understand you just fine." That was really my only point.

Anywho sorry for pissing you off @CocaCola.  Accept the doctor's most humble apologies!

And sorry to everyone for cluttering the post and going off topic.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:43:49 05:43 by Gallymimu » Logged
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 07:48:00 19:48 »

Your huffington post article is absolutely right "To put it a different way, the problem with irregardless is entirely social: If you use it, you’ll be thought of as uneducated, even though everyone can understand you just fine." That was really my only point.

One could apply that same social logic to those that use vulgar slang words in their postings, something about glass houses and tossing stones..
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...