The Godfather talking
You may crack software. How about me?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:15:53 01:15

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: price of avr  (Read 3006 times)
fdx
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 1

« on: January 31, 2008, 04:23:07 04:23 »

is an avr the cheapest mcu? is there any cost advantage against other same class mcus?
samir
 Muted

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 21

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:20:10 05:20 »

is an avr the cheapest mcu? is there any cost advantage against other same class mcus?
it depends upon you application
i Tinnk At89c51 is cheapest on (less than 1$ in indian retail marker)
But if you are going for lage quantity than some of AVR chip are cheaper one(< 2$)
telyadi

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:25:57 07:25 »

It's depend on your region (country) in my country Atmel's 8051 is the cheapest but its has no integrated stuff like AVR (internal ADC, TWI, EEPROM, etc). So i now migrate from 8051 to AVR.
otter

Thank You
-Given: 200
-Receive: 2

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:14:52 21:14 »

Without getting pricing support from Atmel, then the best way to a gauge a reasonable price is to look at one of the large international distributors, Digikey for instance. That will give you a starting point for 100 pricing. You should then be able to get a better price from your local distributor, assuming you are going to order at least 100 parts.
As to if it is the cheapest MCU, well that depends on how well it fits your application. If you can use a cheaper MCU ,but it needs more external 'bits' to achieve the same functions, then you are probably better off with the  ore integrated solution.
If you are going to build lots of these(1000's), then the pricing becomes more crucial, and Atmel, (and microchip and TI etc) will suddenly become more interested in you and 'pricing support' comes into action; ie the price drops  to secure the business.
The price of the MCU is not as important as considering the cost of the whole BOM, including assembly and test. One chip that does not need lots of 'glue' around it can work out cheaper in the long run as assembly and test will be easier.
Regards
Otter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...