Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:12:29 16:12

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Win 10 new GUI style  (Read 3723 times)
Cain

Thank You
-Given: 165
-Receive: 102

« on: December 28, 2015, 10:41:36 10:41 »

I'm still on Windows 7 and will be for a foreseable future. Skipped the 8/8.1 failure but have tested Win 10 on a secondary PC but did not find any new "must have" features that improves my productivity and don't like the new GUI style, so in short - if it ain't broken don't fix it.

What I noticed is that many software developer now follow Win 10 new GUI style which is flat and boring on top of that ribbon thing.

Anyone else prefering the old XP and Win 7 GUI style?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:45:04 10:45 by Cain » Logged
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:39 11:43 »

why not install win10, install Start Menu 8
set it to look like windows7 and benefit from the extras that win10 has.

better speed, memory management, and the list goes on...
and if you want you still have the new GUI.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
Unhappy

Thank You
-Given: 984
-Receive: 100

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:01:57 14:01 »

why not use classic shell software in win7 mode?
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:13:55 03:13 »

I also prefer classic shell.

I think windows 8/8.1 was a better OS than 7.  10 doesn't seem a lot different than 8/8.1. 

Valuable new features include a much better task manager, more intelligent windows explorer file copy performance and indication.  SUPER stable.  I am fairly certain I haven't seen 8 or 10 crash yet across a dozen computers (except when I had a bad driver)

granted the new UI sucks balls, but once classic shell is installed it reacts no differently than windows 7.

The fact of the matter is that you can't hold onto 7 forever.  The sooner you get over it and keep pace the better off you will be.  Such is the nature of technology and our microsoft overlords.
Cain

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 06:48:03 18:48 »

I'm not really talking about the start menu (already use the Classic Shell in Win 7) but the overall new flat GUI style and the flat icons that is damn ugly compared to Windows Vista/7 Aero GUI. Sure it's mostly about estetics but the new GUI also moved around settings/options so I will become a bit less productive while re-learning it.

Valuable new features include a much better task manager, more intelligent windows explorer file copy performance and indication.  SUPER stable.  I am fairly certain I haven't seen 8 or 10 crash yet across a dozen computers (except when I had a bad driver)

Never had a crash in Windows 7 so for me thats a moot point and the Task Manager in 7 does what I need it to do. If I need a bit more information - which isn't very often - I use the Performane Monitor. Don't care about the cloud stuff, would never put up my personal files to any cloud and then there are the general privacy issue where MS can lurk in your data. Don't need DirectX 12, seldom use Explorer, I use Salamander since I work 5-10x faster - no joke - with it (try it out if you haven't already > http://www.altap.cz).

The fact of the matter is that you can't hold onto 7 forever.  The sooner you get over it and keep pace the better off you will be.  Such is the nature of technology and our microsoft overlords.

I agree Windows 7 may not last forever but it will live for a long time. Heck I still have XP up running and use it almost every day. Why you may ask??? It's really simple... Every tool/CAD programs/tool chains/etc. is setup and working great so why muck with it and create more unessecary work?

The day I'm "forced" to switch OS I will really consider to go all out Linux and run the Windows tools I need in a Virtual Box.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it  Wink

All of course IMO.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:36:45 19:36 by Cain » Logged
Gallymimu

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 04:56:28 04:56 »

I'm not really talking about the start menu (already use the Classic Shell in Win 7) but the overall new flat GUI style and the flat icons that is damn ugly compared to Windows Vista/7 Aero GUI. Sure it's mostly about estetics but the new GUI also moved around settings/options so I will become a bit less productive while re-learning it.

Never had a crash in Windows 7 so for me thats a moot point and the Task Manager in 7 does what I need it to do. If I need a bit more information - which isn't very often - I use the Performane Monitor. Don't care about the cloud stuff, would never put up my personal files to any cloud and then there are the general privacy issue where MS can lurk in your data. Don't need DirectX 12, seldom use Explorer, I use Salamander since I work 5-10x faster - no joke - with it (try it out if you haven't already > http://www.altap.cz).

I agree Windows 7 may not last forever but it will live for a long time. Heck I still have XP up running and use it almost every day. Why you may ask??? It's really simple... Every tool/CAD programs/tool chains/etc. is setup and working great so why muck with it and create more unessecary work?

The day I'm "forced" to switch OS I will really consider to go all out Linux and run the Windows tools I need in a Virtual Box.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it  Wink

All of course IMO.

hey that's cool, my grandpa likes his slide rule and palm pilot they don't hold him back and they work fine Smiley
Cain

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:25:20 20:25 »

Cheesy

Eventually you will get there and here is another qoute to remember. I'm pretty sure you will agree later on Cheesy

- The old is not necessarily outdated and the new is not necessarily better.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:07:24 22:07 by Cain » Logged
Gallymimu

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 02:56:52 02:56 »

Cheesy

Eventually you will get there and here is another qoute to remember. I'm pretty sure you will agree later on Cheesy

- The old is not necessarily outdated and the new is not necessarily better.

Tell that to history Smiley
Cain

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 07:12:51 07:12 »

The keyword in the qoute was "necessarily" Smiley

Anyway, back to topic. Judging your comments I assume you like the new GUI style?
zac

Thank You
-Given: 81
-Receive: 57

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 07:51:28 19:51 »

why not install win10, install Start Menu 8
set it to look like windows7 and benefit from the extras that win10 has.

better speed, memory management, and the list goes on...
and if you want you still have the new GUI.

Windows 10 has some unexpected problems too.  I installed windows 10 on a lenovo thinkpad yoga 2 pro and it had frequently corrupted video when using videoconferencing like skype or less often when playing streaming video like youtube.  So, it appears there are still problems using windows 10 with common video hardware such as the intel stuff in the thinkpad yoga 2 pro.  I'm waiting until they work out the bugs before upgrading my other computers.  
Qiaozhi

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 0

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:07:53 20:07 »

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it  Wink

All of course IMO.
I already use Ubuntu Linux on my laptop for just about everything. It basically just works ... and doesn't want to do 127 updates (very slowly) every time I need to shutdown and go somewhere in a hurry.. Also, I have some CAD and development tools that are tied to an XP license, so cannot let the Windoze XP box go just yet. The more you can do on Linux the better. Unlike Windoze, it doesn't slow down with age.
iot

Thank You
-Given: 32
-Receive: 13

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 03:02:59 03:02 »

I also like and love GNU/Linux.

Win 10 is good and also Win 7, but Win 8 turned me to the improductivity. Too slow to find how to open some things and I really hate to have some basic windows at full screen (calc by example). Is possible to have at normal size?

In a normal day I open a loooot (i counted more than 100, including calc,notepad, browser, terminal) of windows, and most of them remains open until the end of the day, or in some cases remains open for days!

For example, to open a calc, i just press win+r, and then calc (enter).. in Linux, just open a new term (ctrl,alt,t) and then type calc (Enter), too fast for me. I felt frustrated with win 8.
Qiaozhi

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 0

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 11:36:45 11:36 »

I also like and love GNU/Linux.

For example, to open a calc, i just press win+r, and then calc (enter).. in Linux, just open a new term (ctrl,alt,t) and then type calc (Enter), too fast for me. I felt frustrated with win 8.

With Ubuntu you can also add your favourite programs (calc, for example) to the Unity toolbar. Then you don't have to invoke the terminal window.
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 03:43:35 15:43 »

I already use Ubuntu Linux on my laptop for just about everything. It basically just works ... and doesn't want to do 127 updates (very slowly) every time I need to shutdown and go somewhere in a hurry.. Also, I have some CAD and development tools that are tied to an XP license, so cannot let the Windoze XP box go just yet. The more you can do on Linux the better. Unlike Windoze, it doesn't slow down with age.
With Ubuntu you can also add your favourite programs (calc, for example) to the Unity toolbar. Then you don't have to invoke the terminal window.
why is this turned into a pissing contest....

read the topic and don't hi-jack topics...

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
gan_canny

Thank You
-Given: 101
-Receive: 26

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 06:05:00 18:05 »

I believe WIN 10 and its new file system has many issues with RAID drives supported by hardware controllers. I tried a WIN10 install onto a hardware RAID based system and it failed to install. Maybe it has been fixed or there is a work around. Good news WIN10 was free so I didn't waste any money on it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...