Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:23:56 19:23

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Power probe ideas needed  (Read 3023 times)
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 540
-Receive: 408

« on: October 01, 2015, 10:03:18 22:03 »

I've been looking at the power probe hook which has a setable electronic current trip but costs way to much and more than I need. So this got me thinking about building one that suits my needs.
Has anybody got a good circuit or info on the best way to it, done a quick search but nothing really stood out so I thought of asking here to get some good ideas and input, the controller would an arduino nano or mini to show all the readings say 12 to24v 0 to 10/20amps and switchable +\- at tip
It's only at the thinking stage but thought it would be useful to have

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
crunx

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 8

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 07:08:12 07:08 »

I assume, that you would like to have a "clamp" measurement of the current, just clipping the probe on a wire? Regarding such current measurement probe, the simplest solution depends very much on if you want to measure DC or AC, and in case of AC, which frequency range.

In general, AC is simplest with a current transformer type construction. Such probes can be bought, but it should be possible to make one, too. However, it is not trivial to do well in mechanical sense - I would personally only try it with a ring core - and then the wire would be guided through the hole of the core, as I don't have too great mechanical workshop at home. I am afraid the same applies to most of us!

DC currents are usually measured with a hall-sensor probe, and they are pretty more complex devices, also electrically/electronically demanding.

The voltmeter probe is usually just a "metal pin" connected to a voltmeter. And there is no need to make one, because there are so many ready-made and well-isolated ones available  to low cost. The materials may cost easily more than a ready-made device.

So, if you explain a bit closer is it AC or DC current you want to measure, then it would be easier to give concrete advise. Also, if you have to be able to "clip it on" or can you pull a wire through a hole on the detector probe.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:11:47 07:11 by crunx » Logged
Checksum8

Thank You
-Given: 123
-Receive: 100

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:05:37 16:05 »

As Crunx said we need more info on your application.

Here is a DIY clamp on project

http://www.elektronobi.com/eng/metering/clamp_for_multi.html

I bought some of these moduals, which are hall based. They come in different current ratings. Output's a proportional voltage to input current

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-design-5A-range-Current-Sensor-Module-ACS712-Module-Arduino-module-/181026550454?hash=item2a2605f2b6
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:56:49 17:56 »

It's not for measuring current and it's just DC voltage 12-24v, basically you connect the terminals to the battery and then you can press a button this will then supply a positive or negative supply to the circuit under test depending which way you press it, The power probe has a rest able trip which is preset say 10amps dangerous if there is a short or something and the circuit could only handle 2-3amps or if you pressed the button to go negative with the probe tip connected to a positive supply, The power probe hook has a electronic rest able trip which can be set from 0-65amps (100amps peak), Here is the link to it.
http://www.powerprobe.com/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50
My idea is use the Arduino to display all the data like amps drawn (internal shunt) voltage and have buttons to set the max current so if it detects a short/excess current draw it removes the power fro the tip  instantly to prevent any damage. Powered from the battery/power of the circuit under test or even it's own battery

hope this makes it clearer and makes more sense
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:01:46 18:01 by Wizpic » Logged

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
Checksum8

Thank You
-Given: 123
-Receive: 100

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 07:14:37 19:14 »

Now I see, that looks pretty useful. I did a quick search and found one of their
patents. Maybe this can give you some ideas.

https://www.google.com/patents/US7184899
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 07:07:35 19:07 »

I've been looking through that site just a lot of stuff to read through not really giving anything away with it. I've found one or two circuits out but shall keep doing research and hopefully start and carry out some testing

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...