Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:56:04 09:56

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Funny, I can't find anyone to invite.  (Read 4397 times)
Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« on: December 28, 2013, 09:17:01 09:17 »

I want to spend my 2 invitation credits before this year ends, but funny after browsing 4 pages of invitation request section I can not find any  Sad.

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:41:26 09:41 »

I casually browse the invitation request all the time and feel the pain...
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:20:11 10:20 »

Funny, I find that I have to mute most of my invites.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 959

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:23:30 10:23 »

I invited two 12 and 13 November. They promised a lot like "i want to help people and beginners that need help, and give them what i know, and to get some help in some of my projects" and "would like to join this forum to share knowledge with other people" And I belived them. But so far not a single post. On the next culling if still no postings. I will recommend that both of them are kicked out

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 10:45:14 10:45 »

But so far not a single post. On the next culling if still no postings. I will recommend that both of them are kicked out

Probably because they leached the file(s) they wanted as soon as they got in and ran home...  Maybe it's time the forum treats invited members just like guest and blocks their access to the attachments/files until they contribute and manually get bumped by the staff into an active contributor status...  I suggest the manual bump only because if it's a post count that bumps them I suspect most will simply spam the forum with nonsense post for a few minutes to get bumped, then snatch and grab...   Or if it's set waiting period simply wait it out before they snatch and grab...  If their post are reviewed by staff periodically (say in 3 or 6 months time) and then a decision made if they have made an attempt to be a contributor it will weed out a lot of the leaches...
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:41:12 18:41 »

^ THAT is an excellent idea. Show your value, you get value. PM a member for something once, you get banned.

But, yes, the candidate pool is pretty slim and has been for a long time. Perhaps all the worthwhile people on the planet are already in, and even then, some of them still need to get kicked out.

Time to go check my invite history to see how my kids are doing as upstanding members of the community
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:21:46 21:21 »

PM a member for something once, you get banned.

Disable their PMs until they pass their 'contributor' evaluation and get bumped into active contributor status...

Basically keep them as a guest but a guest that has a foot in the door and a chance to prove they are not here just to leach...

I'm not claiming to be the most active or most contributing member by any means, but it seems to me that even with the 'active' members maybe 25 or 50 actually contribute regularly while a vast majority are hit and run "The link is dead, can you reupload?" posters...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:26:40 21:26 by CocaCola » Logged
pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 10:05:10 22:05 »

^ THAT is an excellent idea. Show your value, you get value. PM a member for something once, you get banned.

Time to go check my invite history to see how my kids are doing as upstanding members of the community
lol I just check them too. 8 of them on a mute, not all my own work.. plus 8 accounts deleted...

Posted on: December 28, 2013, 11:04:06 23:04 - Automerged

I invited two 12 and 13 November. They promised a lot like "i want to help people and beginners that need help, and give them what i know, and to get some help in some of my projects" and "would like to join this forum to share knowledge with other people" And I belived them. But so far not a single post. On the next culling if still no postings. I will recommend that both of them are kicked out
Fixed...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:08:21 22:08 by pickit2 » Logged

bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 12:27:30 00:27 »

lol I just check them too. 8 of them on a mute, not all my own work.. plus 8 accounts deleted...

Fixed...
Just 8 on mute  , lol you and me both must be getting lazy  Grin

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:29:59 06:29 »

Seems people are too lazy to write the description (notes) when filling the invitation request form, maybe adding some more entry on the form will push people to write more, such as:

- About yourself:
- Your specialty:
- How you can contribute:
- etc, etc.

Just an idea.

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 959

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:44:55 11:44 »

Fixed...
So they are on week mute. Just to think about how they can give something back to the forum. As they said they would do Tongue

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Bobbla

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 16

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 02:34:39 14:34 »

I suggest the manual bump only because if it's a post count that bumps them I suspect most will simply spam the forum with nonsense post for a few minutes to get bumped, then snatch and grab...   Or if it's set waiting period simply wait it out before they snatch and grab...  If their post are reviewed by staff periodically (say in 3 or 6 months time) and then a decision made if they have made an attempt to be a contributor it will weed out a lot of the leaches...

Sounds like a lot of manual labor... why not just connect the number of received Thank You's to when you can access some forums.

That being said, why do we always have to prove ourselves??? I don't like the threats of mute/ban.
pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 03:23:44 15:23 »

That being said, why do we always have to prove ourselves??? I don't like the threats of mute/ban.
you don't need to prove your self, but when you join a forum you need to take part, you can't just sit there.

It's in the rules. You Have to be Active......

99.8% that get muted or account deleted, from here, are zero posters, that means users don't even see them.

we only make it known, we will not accept, people can't post, we want people to start posting.

optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 03:58:21 15:58 »

The forum needs an automatic probation period where the new users cannot see attachments.
After probation, the account either gets enabled to see attachments or deleted based on moderators or automatic criteria (post count etc..)
It needs to be *automatic* somehow so that the moderators don't spend all their time sifting through thousands of users looking for those who have zero posts for years.
As it stands, I think the moderators have too much work trying to sort through low quality users.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
MTong

Thank You
-Given: 69
-Receive: 180

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 05:26:37 17:26 »

Hi all,

some of the people requesting to be invited (or that joined but are not that active) might be students (i.e. me) and/or people without too much experience. I read most of the posts in here and most of the times I cannot contribute because of my limited knowledge. What I can do (and I try to) is share the ieeexplorer stuff (until I am out of school) or books. I hope to be able to jump in a thread on a topic on which I feel confident enough, but that is rare.
PaulC

Thank You
-Given: 3935
-Receive: 133

information is free and should be shared for free

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 05:59:59 17:59 »

maybe students or people learning can contribute in projects they are more than likely working on or even finished, as they are probably not restricted designs, these then would help other learners in there own projects, i have yet to meet someone in this field that is not involved in some sort of project, as electronics is always a learning curve, no matter how long in the game..
there could be credit post's maybe,
like 10 and over to see attachments, or maybe to see sections..
i am always telling my son to look it up on internet before bombarding me with questions, as he needs to understand the reason for asking the question in the first place..(just me getting old an all that)..
students are a great asset as they are being given the knowledge that most of us have not used for some time, and gettin older have to keep looking up..(ha! ha!)..
interesting projects are always a good post, as the users can give feedback and ideas from a different prospective..

find it , read it , share it .
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:05 20:13 »

It needs to be *automatic* somehow

I was an admin at a site that had about 60,000 members at any given time and of course a flood of newbies all the time...  The way we did it was that after 90 days the member could request to be bumped from their limited status, they made this request in a subforum specifically for that purpose... Only then did we (the staff) evaluate their accounts, we never went out of the way to do it...  We had that subforum open to all members so other members could give feedback, if needed...  This kept all request in one place that was dead simple to keep track of and monitor...

Even on that forum with 60,000+ members the actual request to bump was maybe one or two a week at most, 99.9% showed their true colors and wouldn't jump through the hoops to make that request...

so that the moderators don't spend all their time sifting through thousands of users looking for those who have zero posts for years.

That is only a few clicks away on most forum software nowadays either built in or as an add-on, in fact most forums have automatic pruning scripts that can be turned on for inactive or zero post members...

I fully understand the job and time the moderators and admins spend on a forum, a probation period seems like more work initially but in the end it really washes out and reduces a lot of work and troubles at a later date...
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 07:28:00 19:28 »

There was a time for "inactive users", which they were in a membergroup till they got 7 posts.  They are rendered red in online members list still. It's still exist but restrictions doesn't apply like seeing links, accessing attachments.

Some of you offered a way like this. We can apply this again. However there must be an evaluation at the end. But, we didn't do it. Because they eventually got hook.

- Houston, we have a problem.
germanium

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 64

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 01:54:58 01:54 »

I have seen some other forums do similar, and basically it encourages people to focus on boosting post count rather than contributing meaningfully.  So I kind of doubt it will reduce moderation effort.... my 2 cents.
elargenuru
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 05:33:44 05:33 »

hi all i am new to the forum, lived 12 years in use and now movi me to Argentina, every so often I come back to florida (s beautiful place). I speak English quite acceptable, but I'm a little confused. Cry
proque not quite understand the concept of operation of the forum as to be inactive and it represents the same with newbie .. forgive if I post in a place that does not belong.
  my intention is to learn, and help my friends in college who are engineers and would like to become members in the future, given the ability of information, professionalism and seriousness that you have.
There are many people without access to formal education and believe it or not this forum is an excellent opportunity for those who do not, or can not access an academic study. Sad
also understand what you expose .. who needs constant forum posting and interest in exposing new topics.
I think the interest of a person is defined with time ... yes, but more by their actions, also understand the constraints they speak, what is reasonable, do not forget that young people are eager for knowledge and participation, not is whether a reasonable time would be perhaps more importantly your interest in the issues, their post, their activities and their contributions.
Thanks and sorry for my ignorance. Wink
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:05:35 06:05 by elargenuru » Logged
pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 09:57:12 09:57 »

I think if you sign into a forum, you take part, if your a newbie you need to ask questions, if you know the answer you tell that to the person asking the question.
If you just sign up to take, this user is easy to see, one year in forum, zero posts, if he makes a post it's a "New release of this soft... Anyone got the crack???"

Things that are not a get out.. I have limited English, I can't crack soft... and so on..
Come on this is forum is 80-90% about Electronics, the soft ware is just tools.

If anyone has a question there are members here that will help that user, so one question is why are you still a newbie?.
users that just sit in the forum are not welcome, and will be muted, until the next purge of useless (insert Anglo-Saxon word here).

elargenuru
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 02:06:03 14:06 »

can  you show me where y can help to people just come in to electronic knowledge .. Smiley maybe can give help ,  Wink, just y work in a lot sistems in electronics ...sorry man y little confused about de how to move in this foro ...

Posted on: January 09, 2015, 03:04:05 15:04 - Automerged

thank you for quick response pickit2!! Cheesy
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...