Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:34:16 17:34

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Suggestion needed for selecting LED  (Read 3021 times)
MAXPAYNE

Thank You
-Given: 492
-Receive: 359

It's a little funny......

« on: August 04, 2014, 04:13:26 04:13 »

The LED has to be very bright. It will be used in a flashing ckt whose power supply is 6V-15V (I can use resistor to drop voltage). I am in dilemma which LED should I chose. Need your suggestion. Smiley

Sourcing from Digikey/Mouser/Farnell/ or others..

Whats the Craziest Project u have done lately...?
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:33:10 04:33 »

Cree XL series...  http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp

The XM-L and XM-L2 are pretty much standard of in the industry for LED flashlights right now...

Don't use a resistor to regulate current on these high output LEDs, build (or purchase) a constant current driver...

BTW you can get a Cree XM-L and the driver on a star board for about $8 delivered on Ebay, IMO not even worth DIY unless you need a specific layout...
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 04:43:02 04:43 »

Cree XL series...  http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp

The XM-L and XM-L2 are pretty much standard of in the industry for LED flashlights right now...

Don't use a resistor to regulate current on these high output LEDs, build (or purchase) a constant current driver...

BTW you can get a Cree XM-L and the driver on a star board for about $8 delivered on Ebay, IMO not even worth DIY unless you need a specific layout...

Thanks but I think I dont need it for lighting room or something. In fact I need very bright indicator LED, which will be used just for indication.

cadence

Thank You
-Given: 103
-Receive: 430

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:07:03 05:07 »

Search on ebay for Straw Hat LED... They're very bright, have a very wide viewing angle and a low profile. Quite inexpensive too.
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 05:11:43 05:11 »

looks like what I was searching Smiley

A big hug Cadence ! Cheesy

CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 05:15:18 05:15 »

Thanks but I think I dont need it for lighting room or something. In fact I need very bright indicator LED, which will be used just for indication.

Well you failed to mention it's purpose as an 'indicator' in your initial post but did request that it be 'very bright' apparently you are just looking for something brighter then your standard flux frosted indicator LEDs?

3mm, 5mm, 10mm, SMD or ?  Red, White, Blue, Green, Yellow, RGB or ?  Frosted or clear? 8°, 15°, 30°, 45° or ?

Sorry for the questions but my crystal ball is on the fritz this week...

Most generic indicator LEDs are under 50 mcd, and the field opens up after that, a 1000 mcd tight focus, clear can be painful to look directly at, but diffused or frosted and it can provide nice illumination...

When I want an LED to be visible in full sun, I generally choose 3000-10000 mcd LEDs, plenty of offerings in that range, but beware that range will easily bug your eyes out if you look directly at them...

Posted on: August 03, 2014, 11:12:24 23:12 - Automerged

Search on ebay for Straw Hat LED... They're very bright, have a very wide viewing angle and a low profile. Quite inexpensive too.

Straw hats are nice if you want the huge wide angle of light that better simulates an incandescent bulbs 360° of light...  They work great as upgrades to older products that had incandescent bulbs as there is little noticeable difference in the light pattern when put behind say a traditional indicator lens...
MAXPAYNE

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 05:34:48 05:34 »

Well you failed to mention it's purpose as an 'indicator' in your initial post but did request that it be 'very bright' apparently you are just looking for something brighter then your standard flux frosted indicator LEDs?

3mm, 5mm, 10mm, SMD or ?  Red, White, Blue, Green, Yellow, RGB or ?  Frosted or clear? 8°, 15°, 30°, 45° or ?

Sorry for the questions but my crystal ball is on the fritz this week...

Most generic indicator LEDs are under 50 mcd, and the field opens up after that, a 1000 mcd tight focus, clear can be painful to look directly at, but diffused or frosted and it can provide nice illumination...

When I want an LED to be visible in full sun, I generally choose 3000-10000 mcd LEDs, plenty of offerings in that range, but beware that range will easily bug your eyes out if you look directly at them...

Posted on: August 03, 2014, 11:12:24 23:12 - Automerged

Straw hats are nice if you want the huge wide angle of light that better simulates an incandescent bulbs 360° of light...  They work great as upgrades to older products that had incandescent bulbs as there is little noticeable difference in the light pattern when put behind say a traditional indicator lens...

My bad. I should have posted details.

In the range of 3000-10000 mcd, is there any LED which have lower power angle than straw head led ?

CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 05:46:35 05:46 »

In the range of 3000-10000 mcd, is there any LED which have lower power angle than straw head led ?

You mean the degree of light?  Sure 20°-30° is pretty much standard, while straw hats have 100° or greater generaly...

Just hit up Ebay and type 'super bright led XXX' where XXX is your color and/or package...  Unless you need color matched batches I would just get them on Ebay as they can be had much cheaper than the big electronics supply companies... 

Beware though that most of the LEDs sold on Ebay are 2nds that didn't match the color profile or standards of the manufacture and/or there was a higher failure rate in that batch...  I have used 10s of thousands of Ebay LEDs, I just test them before insertion generally there are few failures but sometimes you get a bad batch, and if you want to color match say for two LEDs that will be situated right next to each other, do a manual check...  Again most of the times the LEDs are fine, but I have had a few batches were say 1 in 20 or 50 was bad, or where there were 2 or 3 distinct color variations in the batch..
bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 03:27:37 15:27 »

CocaCola
I think he is just putting a couple of brake light's on his skateboard

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
TheTeach

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 6

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:17 13:34 »

My skateboard also includes a bracket for a triangular "Slow Moving Vehicle" sign!
pushycat

Thank You
-Given: 210
-Receive: 1446

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 08:48:48 08:48 »

There are a range of RGB modules available where you can blink, fade or create any choice of colors as per your own choice. Individual RGB LED's are too available say 1 watt x 3 from Luxeon, Cree, Edison,  and a host of chineese options for dirt cheap.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...