Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:55:34 06:55

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Latest Win 7 Update (KB 3004394) breaks a lot of stuff  (Read 4859 times)
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« on: December 15, 2014, 01:54:01 01:54 »

Don't do it

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/12/13/new-windows-7-patch-is-effectively-malware-disables-graphics-driver-updates-and-windows-defender
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:16:03 02:16 »

Wow what a mess, time to give a bunch of M$ employees pink slips for Xmas,and take a deep look at how updates are reviewed internally...
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:43:08 07:43 »

Their fatal flaw is, and their downfall will be, charging for the OS.

It should be free because it's worthless to everyone. Moving the start button is not grounds for killing support on a "prior release". I get annoyed as f(*&k when conspiring s/w providers force me to upgrade (aka hand them money every two or three years) a perfectly stable XP machine with software on it that doesn't run on Win 7. It's a racket.

Pirates.

Not the employees - the company needs to be taken out back of the barn and put out of its misery, IMO.
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:30:54 09:30 »

never mind winX will be here soon. Tongue

Micro$oft has never been good at fixing $hit they insist should be there, when every user find problems using these stupid extras.
Thumbs.db who the *** wants that in an OS. Every time I fix it, they bring it back in the next system update, and the same fix never works, twice.
Who the *** wants to copy files & folders, then delete the originals when they ***ed up the Move Command.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
Magnox

Thank You
-Given: 976
-Receive: 279

Oink!

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:53:02 10:53 »

Ooh... thanks for the heads-up. Another reason never to allow automatic updates.

...and don't even mention thumbs.db  Angry

I'll pay for Windows again the day that MS fixes the issues I had with Windows 3.1 for workgroups - which I paid for!

Strike that, I'll pay for Windows the day that Bill Gates kisses my hairy butt, instead of trying to abuse it!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:03:41 11:03 by Magnox » Logged
Cain

Thank You
-Given: 165
-Receive: 102

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:57:23 11:57 »

Another reason never to allow automatic updates.

Exactly! Disabling automatic updates is the first thing I do (and have done since XP). After that I manually install some of the more critical security patches for OS/IE... never a problem nor any virus.
Magnox

Thank You

Oink!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:25:27 12:25 »

Watch out that some MS installs will turn on automatic updating on the quiet, even if you have turned it off. Security Essentials does this, not just for itself but the whole system
Cain

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 08:14:41 08:14 »

Good tip Magnavox!

If you want a lean machine and know what you are doing Security Essentials (or any other permanent AV software) is not really needed. And of course there are quite a few background services you don't need and can be disabled to squeeze every little cycle out of your CPU for you own processes.

This is not something I would recommend to regular users but as I said if you are experienced AV software is IMO over hyped.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:35:35 08:35 by Cain » Logged
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 11:56:56 23:56 »

If you want a lean machine and know what you are doing Security Essentials (or any other permanent AV software) is not really needed. And of course there are quite a few background services you don't need and can be disabled to squeeze every little cycle out of your CPU for you own processes.

This is not something I would recommend to regular users

Look at the very top of this page to see where you are.

There isn't a "regular" member in the bunch, and if there ever is, the guys with the mute buttons like to play whack-a-mole with them.
Cain

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37:57 07:37 »

Sorry if I miss something but I wasn't talking about members on the forum, I was talking about "regular" Windows users in general. I'm sure lots of people here knows what they are doing. Anyway, to avoid sliding OT PM me if I missed something...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:23:06 18:23 by Cain » Logged
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 05:52:27 17:52 »

Hmm, this whole thing has me wondering if the update killed my media server...  It's one of those setup and never really check on computers, it doesn't even have a monitor hooked up. and is a bare bones system with bloat removed, auto update is on...  Some time last week it started to have problems streaming some content, figured it might be wifi interference noise, but now I'm wondering...
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 08:11:33 20:11 »

my old win7 pc used as a media server - stopped the play-to function.
updated to win8.1pro and the same no-play to service, dropped down to win8 core and its working again.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 08:26:12 20:26 »

my old win7 pc used as a media server - stopped the play-to function.
updated to win8.1pro and the same no-play to service, dropped down to win8 core and its working again.

Hmm, I use Playon as the media server, but this adds credibility that the update might have effected streaming at the OS level...  Not looking forward to dealing with an OS change (just don't have the patience or time right now) going to wait it out for a bit and see what happens...
MTong

Thank You
-Given: 69
-Receive: 180

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:13 20:42 »

has anybody tried the update to the update?
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:40 02:28 »

I don't know.

Would you trust a company that's proud they fixed 1300 bugs in their upcoming flagship product: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-we-have-more-than-1-5-million-windows-10-insiders/ ?

128,000 monkeys on typewriters, hoping to come up with either Shakespeare or an OS

Signal

Thank You
-Given: 111
-Receive: 81

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 04:14:44 16:14 »

Would you trust a company that's proud they fixed 1300 bugs in their upcoming flagship product?
Why not?
Big system especially in "preview" status - there is a lot of work to be done by definition of "not ready yet" product. 1300 - adequate number for representing expected goal.
I've just checked https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu. There are numbers. But who cares?

There are huge amount of tasks that have to be done for successful global scope product and that even can not be imagined by majority of monkeys. But that is not a surprise for people who actually involved in such production. For example think about Linus' phrase - "The good news, I think, is to some degree the desktop market is going down" (http://www.muktware.com/2011/11/linus-torvalds-why-linux-is-not-successful-on-desktops/1918).

Give a right name to a right game and play it right
bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 06:28:47 18:28 »

has anybody tried the update to the update?
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777
I have a win7 laptop that it installed both updates on , never noticed anything wrong after either one was installed
the fix was installed 2 days after so I had plenty  of time to notice if anything was screwed up

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
Magnox

Thank You

Oink!

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 08:09:45 20:09 »

One of the things that update supposedly broke was AMD's automatic graphics driver update.

Given the problems caused by the latest forced-update of AMD Catalyst drivers, that was probably a good thing.

I don't care. I don't allow anything to auto-update and don't use AMD anyway.
mexpcb

Thank You
-Given: 35
-Receive: 211

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 11:32:14 23:32 »

Hi All,

no matter what windows version you use, there will came the time when you pc gets slow or infected...
i deal with that kind of stuff after a month or two using the computer, those updates of fixes take some of my time and bandwidth, so i normally have a windows in a usb installer, another usb with the main programs i would use on a normal basics... when the pc is starting getting slow i just reformat the pc.. i have two partitions, one for a public profile  Cheesy ( a "normal pc"), i have another one with a better protection, with some engineering tools.... this last partition i have a restricted access to the internet and i just enable what i want to enable even on the startup programs or services, this computer is protected somehow likely a guide i give on other area in the forum, this because it takes some times to setup those different programs in to the computer.... so going back, i re-install windows maybe once avery two month and i don't do full windows updates, i use to download offline installer for some software like the video drivers or the netframework etc etc...

this is the most efficient way i have found....

Regards

in the other hand, sometimes  i use live cd's (different linux distros)...
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 10:26:23 10:26 »

Why not?

Because the whole software developer attitude is slacker and sloppy. Doesn't matter how many people work on a project, you manage it to zero defects.

Next time you are about cross a bridge, pull over, get on your knees, and thank whatever deity you subscribe to, that civil engineers don't have the same disregard for getting it right like software developers do.

"Yeah, that girder has a bug in it. We need to have more cars fall into the river,though, before we can escalate the fix to appear in our next release - Bridge v2.774563"
Signal

Thank You
-Given: 111
-Receive: 81

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 02:03:48 14:03 »

Next time you are about cross a bridge. ...

Obviously there _is_ a difference in costs of mistakes for bridge and for consumer PC. This difference is the reason why market votes in one case for product with minimal possible complexity and thus maximum reliability and in other case not for absolute stable but for "new and more functional" (so more complex) product. I believe there are other reasons that force situation with "attitude" - I think an attitude you talk about is not a reason it is a result. And even more. This is not about "slacker and sloppy" this is about purposeful decisions made by management not to zero defects but to maximize something else.

Give a right name to a right game and play it right
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 03:43:26 03:43 »

Their fatal flaw is, and their downfall will be, charging for the OS.

Since M$'s second largest money maker is the Windows OS software (about 35%-40% of their total revenue) not charging for the OS software is hardly the best business model until you are able to use that 'free' OS software to exploit other 'pay' services/products that justify the lose of OS income...  This is the same business model Apple has been doing for a long time, with 'free' upgrades...

But behold, M$ is now ready to do just that, looks like a lot will be getting a free OS upgrade to Windows 10 to sell their new cloud services and online software delivery...

Free Windows 10 upgrade to all Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-windows-10-features/
FTL

Thank You
-Given: 170
-Receive: 33

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 06:58:06 06:58 »

I was talking to an ex-Microsoft (it has been a couple of years for him) employee the other night. He mentioned that one of the large business units in Microsoft is the Automotive Business Unit. It is apparently right behind the SQL business unit in size. They apparently write a whole bunch of code that runs in cars these days. This scares me! Hopefully it is mainly in the infotainment systems, but you never know.

Fortunately I have a 1972 MGB where the only factory transistors are in the AM radio. Microsoft will not have had a hand in that. That car will probably still run (as well as it ever does) after an EM Pulse event.

Here is a news release I found about the Microsoft Automotive Business Unit:

About Microsoft Automotive Business Unit

Since 1995, Microsoft's Automotive Business Unit has worked collaboratively with the auto industry to deliver technology designed for advanced in-car information, navigation and entertainment systems. By extending its knowledge of software for use in the car to Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs, Microsoft is able to deliver the easiest, most convenient and productive software designed specifically to help people take their connected lifestyle with them wherever they go. In addition to offering consumers an alternative means to experience in-car connectivity, Microsoft will continue to provide the automotive industry with its advanced telematics platform, Windows Automotive. Microsoft technology is on the road today in 61 preinstalled and aftermarket devices from 18 world-class automakers and suppliers, including BMW, Citroen, Clarion Co. Ltd., DaimlerChrysler, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, NexTech, Subaru, Toyota and Volvo. For further information please see www.microsoft.com/automotive.
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 12:02:14 12:02 »

Fortunately I have a 1972 MGB where the only factory transistors are in the AM radio. Microsoft will not have had a hand in that.

You have to admit, though, that an MGB could use a reliable button

(Lucas electrics suck, IMO, Bosch almost as badly)
CocaCola

Thank You

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 05:56:38 17:56 »

I was talking to an ex-Microsoft (it has been a couple of years for him) employee the other night. He mentioned that one of the large business units in Microsoft is the Automotive Business Unit.

I speculate that it's a spin off of the OS or Business division and their income is in the slurry...

Pretty clear their bread and butter is M$ Office and M$ OS...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...