Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:03:14 16:03

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wireless Robot Based on PIC and Android Phone  (Read 5934 times)
xpress_embedo

Thank You
-Given: 122
-Receive: 254

« on: December 15, 2013, 08:59:35 08:59 »

Wireless Robot is based on PIC Controller, as its name suggest it is a wireless device, the mode of communication here is Blue-tooth.
On Controller Side HC-05 Bluetooth Module is used.
As Blue-tooth is present in almost all phones, hence this robot's direction can be controlled by any of the phone, here i had developed an application only for android phones using Basic4Android Software(which is very easy to use for beginners).

The Code for PIC16F877A written in MPLABX and XC8 Compiler, Schematic Design and PCB Design in Eagle and Basic4Android Code, along with two videos demonstrating the working of robot is attached in the link given below.

NOTE:
The Android Code is tested to work on Samsung Galaxy Y Duos Phone and one MTS Phone having android GingerBread in it, while it is not working with Jelly Bean OS don't know why, will resolve the issue and post the updated code.
In Eagle Schematic there is PIC18F4550, kindly ignore that, as the design is pin to pin compatible with PIC16F877A.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:06:34 09:06 by xpress_embedo » Logged
xpress_embedo

Thank You

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 03:07:44 15:07 »

I am not an expert of Basic4Android, just a beginner.

My advice is to check your application on Ginger Bread or something less than Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.

I too had tested my application on Jelly Bean and Ice Cream Sandwich phones, which fails completely.

Also try to use these application on your phone and test whether these works or not
Bluetooth SSP
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.dzs.android.BluetoothSPP&hl=en

Bluetooth SSP Pro
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.dzs.android.BLE_SPP_PRO&hl=en
Wilksey
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 158
-Receive: 2542

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:03:39 12:03 »

Nice project,

Could you please tell me what Bluetooth device you are using on the Micro end?

With regards to B4A, I have had issues before with it, so I just use the Android SDK now, I think there is compatibility issues as the error comes when it tries to extract the layout.

The project also complains about the image file for the background, it is there, but I had to remove it and re-add it for it to stop complaining, didn't fix the crash though, 4.03 is the version I was testing with.
xpress_embedo

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 04:13:19 04:13 »

I am using HC05 Bluetooth Module, which is inexpensive and easy to use, it has only 4-5 AT Commands.

Simple send data from UART Transmitter pin and receive it on Phone.

I had tested my application on Android Ginger Bread OS on two phones and its works well.
And when testing with Jelly Bean and Ice Cream Sandwich OS it fails don't know why.
Maybe there is some incompatibility of B4A with Higher Version of Android OS.
I don't know much about android programming, so cant solve this problem.

Check these applications, whether they work on your android phone or not.
Bluetooth SSP
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.dzs.android.BluetoothSPP&hl=en

Bluetooth SSP Pro
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.dzs.android.BLE_SPP_PRO&hl=en

These two application works on my Ginger Bread OS but not on Higher Version Jelly Bean.
Wilksey
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 158
-Receive: 2542

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:59:43 11:59 »

Hi
Thanks for the info.

I have developed applications using the Android SDK in Java and it hasn't given me any issues like the B4A program has, so I am thinking something is wrong with the way it generates the files, unfortunately at the SDK level, everything will get rebuilt if you modify your B4A code, which makes testing on later OS's a pain!

Do you know if the two BT apps you posted links to were written in B4A?
xpress_embedo

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:58:08 15:58 »

I don't know whether those two applications are built with B4A or with Android SDK in Java.

But the Bluetooth SSP and Bluetooth SSP Pro doesn't works in Jelly Bean based phone, while Bluetooth SSP works smoothly on Ginger Bread.

This is the email id of the developer, i will contact him and ask regarding this issue.
[email protected]

Posted on: December 19, 2013, 05:27:54 05:27 - Automerged

This is the reply i got from the application developer of Bluetooth SSP

Hi

Thank you for your attention.
Bluetooth SSP use sdk 2.3+,  Bluetooth SSP Pro  use sdk 4.0.
Android SDK versions of both programs use different versions.
Bluetooth SSP Pro more features, more stable.
Bluetooth SSP better compatibility.
my facebook : [email protected].

He doesn't used B4A

ikefu
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 0

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:49:14 15:49 »

For anyone looking for a pre-built android application to control a robot over bluetooth prior to getting their own android app going I would suggest "BT Bot Control". I use the wifi version and it works very well. Its a nice hold over since I know PIC programming but am still working on getting my first android app running

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_picoware.BTBotControlLite
TucoRamirez

Thank You
-Given: 257
-Receive: 115

Tuco ... dead or Alive

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 12:25:45 12:25 »

I'm testing on my dummy board.

any suggestion for the placement of IR sensors to do a decent line follower (how many and where?)

Whoever double crosses me and leaves me alive... he understands nothing about Tuco.
xpress_embedo

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 04:10:21 16:10 »

I will prefer to find someone to teach me first basic things because I don't have the basic knowledge about bluetooth communication. I don'twant to learn only about software but I would like to learn and about hardware because I want to select the right components in order to design my PCBs. Thanks for your replies.

Designing an equipment having bluetooth functionality is easy as ready made modules are available easily in the market.

Example HC-05 Module, it works on AT-Commands, i think only 5-6 commands are there to set Baud Rate, PIN Number, Name etc.
This module works with UART, whatever you will send through UART, will get transmitted by Bluetooth Module.
Its really very simple, have a look at the code for PIC Micro-controller, its works as simply as normal UART Communication.

As far as Android Application is considered it is little bit tricky part, but the Software's Like Basic4Android has simplified the task, you just read the code and you will get to know everything.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...