Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:04:04 08:04

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: battey charger  (Read 5253 times)
babatundeawe

Thank You
-Given: 60
-Receive: 13

« on: February 22, 2013, 12:04:08 00:04 »

here is a battery chager i designed. it works ok. wish to share with everyone.

any improvmrnt and criticism are welcome.

zed65

Thank You
-Given: 45
-Receive: 37

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:20:26 00:20 »

What battery charger? pls explain so we don't need to download the attachment just to find out.
thunderer

Thank You
-Given: 19
-Receive: 69

I try to be patient

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:54:59 01:54 »

Same here: at least is it gel, car battery, Lipo, NiCd/NiMh, etc.

Interested and hopefully helpful in: DC brushed motor control (mainly R/C - PPM/PWM), analog audio, PIC (mikrobasic PRO). Feel free to ask, and if I can, I will help. But only on forum topics, any started private conversation will continue in a public topic.
DreamCat

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 116

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:58:44 10:58 »

@thunderer, it just is a simple charger....did you considered the best method of every kind of battery?
why not use MCU?
btw, if the drawing area is not enough, choice A3 size sheet...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm also thinking to design my own multi-function charger, but stop at the battery type automatic  detection.
anyone can give me some advice?

May be I expressed the wrong meaning, sorry for my bad english. Please correct it for me if you can.
babatundeawe

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:06:53 04:06 »

can be used to charge gel and lead acid battery type.

when you connect the charger to the battery. if the battery voltage is low the fets are turned on. then battery is charged through the fet. when the battery voltage gets 12v volts the yellow led lights on and when the battery voltage gets to 14.5v - 15v the green led lights to indicate the battery is fully charged this action turns of the fets.

if the battery voltage drops below 14.5v the green led lights off but the fets are not turned until the battery voltage gets to 12v or below (depending what lower limit u wish to set) the yellow led turns off the mosfets are turned on again and charging resume.

i have included current limiting in the drawing but i had not implemented it yet.

modification and criticism are welcome to make it better.

thanks
thats just my idea of
miserable

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 17

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:43:07 18:43 »

Hi,
If you supply a pdf document any one can see it. We all not using the same CAD with you.
And also it is not applicable to desing a circuit to best fit for all kind of battery.
Even for the same kind of battery. Application constraints defines methodology.
Battery management and charging is not a trivial job.
Best regards.
Gallymimu

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 214

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:14 19:35 »

I'm also thinking to design my own multi-function charger, but stop at the battery type automatic  detection.
anyone can give me some advice?

This is tricky and dangerous.  The number of cells and chemistry can't easily be detected since for a given chemistry of multiple cells at different charge levels many of the combinations will overlap.  For instance 3x NiMH in series vs 1 LiIon cell.  You can't readily tell the difference between the 3.6V of the near fully charged NiMH pack and the half charged 3.6V of the LiIon.  Unless someone has a better way of detecting you may need to input chemistry and number of cells for most battery types (SLA, NiCd/Mh, LiPo/LiIon)

That said there are some more advanced ways of detecting such as battery impedance (http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slap106/slap106.pdf) or voltage profiles during charge and discharge (http://www.academia.edu/642605/Battery_Chemistry_Detection_Algorithm_Implementable_with_Intelligent_Systems_A_Step_towards_the_Development_of_a_Novel_Charger_Applicable_for_Multi-Chemistry_)  I don't know how reliable these methods are.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:40:56 19:40 by Gallymimu » Logged
babatundeawe

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:39:58 23:39 »

ok

here is the schematic in pdf.

DreamCat

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 116

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 02:35:29 02:35 »

@Gallymimu
yeah, it's very tricky, battery impedance detect maybe is a good method, but it really reliable? I think I need read more article and do many many experiments. whatever, It is necessary to display impedance of battey for me.

May be I expressed the wrong meaning, sorry for my bad english. Please correct it for me if you can.
titi

Thank You
-Given: 3679
-Receive: 834

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:13 09:36 »

Hi DreamCat,

this site give differents kind of chargers with all explainations, may be it helps:

http://www.seven-segments.com/index.php?action=menucats&id=1

Remark: explainations etc..., are available on the menu in left side.

In attachment an Application Note of SGS-Thomson for Fast Battery Charger For Nickel-cadmium And Nickel-hydride

Best regards.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:43:51 09:43 by titi » Logged
Mozo1971

Thank You
-Given: 43

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 01:14:49 13:14 »

The app note from ST is very good,i didnīt know it.

Other good app notes due to battery charging you can find by panasonic in the web.
intel

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 2141

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:09:46 19:09 »

The documents, contains useful information about topic. I hope that is helpful.

http://www.atmel.com/images/doc1659.pdf

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01149c.pdf

http://www.iea.lth.se/publications/Theses/LTH-IEA-1021a.pdf

http://seth.drivexc.com/MQP/PFC_Batt_Charger_NoCode.pdf

http://www.ecgf.uakron.edu/~elec/SDmaterial/fall2004/DT1_Final_Report.pdf

In life, most genuine mentor is science.
babatundeawe

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 05:32:42 05:32 »

please i asked for comments criticism and means on improvement on the design. please dont take it off the topic...
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:17 09:09 »

can be used to charge gel and lead acid battery type.

when you connect the charger to the battery. if the battery voltage is low the fets are turned on. then battery is charged through the fet. when the battery voltage gets 12v volts the yellow led lights on and when the battery voltage gets to 14.5v - 15v the green led lights to indicate the battery is fully charged this action turns of the fets.

Does the charger ever stop charging a lead acid battery?

A fully charged cell is 2.2V. That's 13.2V for a "12V" LA battery. Where did the 14.5V come from?

For the record, the topic is "battery charger" - nobody has gone off topic that I can see. You asked for refinement...discussion and exchange of ideas is how that's done.

I also keep asking "why bother?" when standard chargers are available for next to nothing - less than you can buy the components for. One example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARBOR-FREIGHT-COUPON-4-99-SAVE-61-AUTOMATIC-BATTERY-FLOAT-CHARGER-/190807015917?pt=US_Gift_Certificates&hash=item2c6cfc01ed
LithiumOverdosE

Thank You
-Given: 374
-Receive: 568

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 08:38:35 20:38 »

On the other hand doing things yourself is the best way of learning how things work.  Wink
Wizpic
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 539
-Receive: 408

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:36 21:05 »

I also keep asking "why bother?" when standard chargers are available for next to nothing - less than you can buy the components for. One example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARBOR-FREIGHT-COUPON-4-99-SAVE-61-AUTOMATIC-BATTERY-FLOAT-CHARGER-/190807015917?pt=US_Gift_Certificates&hash=item2c6cfc01ed

This takes all the fun out of the word hobby, Plus you get great satisfaction once it's completed and working and another plus side it makes it easier to repair if it goes wrong
some of these cheap chargers are throw away items these days
The 14.5V comes from what's called end of charge voltage meaning the battery is fully charged but the cell voltage can go upto 2.65V while on charge (known as the gasing stage)

When you think, "I can't do anymore. I need a break," that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life..
babatundeawe

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 05:11:00 05:11 »

Does the charger ever stop charging a lead acid battery?

A fully charged cell is 2.2V. That's 13.2V for a "12V" LA battery. Where did the 14.5V come from?

For the record, the topic is "battery charger" - nobody has gone off topic that I can see. You asked for refinement...discussion and exchange of ideas is how that's done.

If everyone can afford whatever ebay puts up then i don't the diy community will be much. i have not asked for punch of words all i asked is good guidance, that this forum as thought. i had learnt alot from people's comment and criticism on projects and at the end they come out with good ones afta taking all thos into consideration.

please that is what i ask for. there is no need for lashing out.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:59 10:59 »

If you are putting a twist on things, then by all means play with it. If you are doing this, and there's a stack of other things you could be doing, you ARE wasting your time and money and you are being naive and blind to this. You can just as easily use the learning and satisfaction argument on those deferred projects. Projects that were deferred because you could have built something you cannot easily buy, but instead pushed it off for something you can get that puts your wage at about $05/hr in building it, and a material cost that's 2-10x if it's a one off makes zero sense.

If you have nothing else in the queue, and you like wasting your time on a battery technology that is, or soon will be, banned in most countries, go for it.

A hobby IS defined as wasting time and money, kinda like a girlfriend, but less expensive.
dotm

Thank You
-Given: 81
-Receive: 75

$$$

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 12:03:45 12:03 »

If you want to improve something, then try to clean up that schematic drawing and use a bigger sheet.
nordiceng

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 11

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 01:53:24 13:53 »

Electronic battery charger takes more time for charging battery compared with transformer based battery charger especially when heavy current required
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright Đ 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...