The Godfather talking
Share your stuff or I will make you regret it.
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:30:02 08:30

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Google Glass clone (open source project)  (Read 15894 times)
DarkClover

Thank You
-Given: 37
-Receive: 60

Still alive...

« on: April 09, 2013, 09:23:55 21:23 »

Hello people,

I followed the Google Glass project right from the beginning over the prototype
until the version which will be released soon. I was overwhelmed by the technology
built into this tiny device. But there are a few things that I really don't like about it
which indeed is the price and also the design and a few other things.
This brought me to the keen idea of starting a project. The project of building an
own interactive glasses.
If this thing get going it'll reach dimensions just one person alone can't handle. Also there
are many obstacles one alone can't overwhelm. So I decided to make it an open project
where everything from developing over hardware until software will be open source.
Sure it will be set under a free license like GNU, just to save the work a little bit from
the big companies out there Wink

Long story short, for this project the voluntary help of many masterminds and creative
souls is needed!
And this mastermind is YOU!!!

It will start as a desperate tiny project which, with the help of everyone, will evolve to
one of the hugest open projects existing yet, for sure!
If you think about it, many many things started with an idea like this and finally became one of the
greatest projects in the world. If you can't find an example, think about Raspberry-PI. There were
a bunch of students with an idea, and this idea came true.
With the help ov everyone this also can get that big and won't it fill ones own heart with proud
when you can say... I am part of it!

I'm sure this thread won't end in the oblivion because I won't let it ... no ... WE WON'T LET IT HAPPEN!

So in the beginning, it's due to enduring all the hater posts which mostly come from people,
which never had the courage to start something like this.
But every hater is invited to think over his opinion again and join this project too. And maybe the
mod's of this board will help a little to get rid of the huge wave of said content?

The next step will be the brainstorming which indeed is one of the most important parts for founding
a project this size. Until this stage let's gather more informations and maybe even start a web presence
to tell the world that they don't have to pay hundreds of dollars, euros, yen, bath, swiss francs, ... for
innovative products.

Well then...
let the hate posts come over this page...!

Not thinking means to believe what others say!
TRY & ERROR... the fundamental principle our existence is based on
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:17:02 00:17 »

First thing you need IMO is a small high density display unit that have focal point of 20mm or less.
The rest of it is quite easy IMHO.

I have been thinking to reuse old VCR viewfinder but really, they are HUGE!

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:02:07 04:02 »

Just don't point your "glasses" at me, or you'll be exposed to a device that embeds them into your face.

Grin

Having a bunch of mobile surveillance geeks running around is WRONG.

What we should be building here in this collective of ne'er-do-wells is a Google Glass JAMMER, not an open sourced enabler of human oppression that governments will build for their own evil purposes.

I have nothing to hide, but personal freedoms are slowly eroded at all levels and when governments get hold of seemingly innocent technologies, people get hurt - or worse.
DarkClover

Thank You

Still alive...

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:15:08 22:15 »

First thing you need IMO is a small high density display unit that have focal point of 20mm or less.
The rest of it is quite easy IMHO.

I have been thinking to reuse old VCR viewfinder but really, they are HUGE!

These is the spirit we need here! Ideas and a lot of them.

First I also thought of that kind of displays.
But in my research attempts which consisted in hours of reading information about the Google glass project,
theoretical reverse engineering and viewing the video with the prototype glass I got an idea of how this
thing works and why they can build it so small.
I'll post some sketches later this week when I'm back home.

Just don't point your "glasses" at me, or you'll be exposed to a device that embeds them into your face.

<imagine old man with walking stick> Grin

Having a bunch of mobile surveillance geeks running around is WRONG.

What we should be building here in this collective of ne'er-do-wells is a Google Glass JAMMER, not an open sourced enabler of human oppression that governments will build for their own evil purposes.

I have nothing to hide, but personal freedoms are slowly eroded at all levels and when governments get hold of seemingly innocent technologies, people get hurt - or worse.
It's an old one but really fits:
If people like you would have made the decision whether the internet will be released to the world or not, we still would write letters.

But I get your point on this. I also thought about that and exactly came to the same conclusion.
Among others, the fact that the glass will almost always be connected to google which then traces
your whole life (video, audio, GPS, mail, searching, ...) all the time brought me to the decision to
start this project.
As there are completely open sources it's possible to make your own configuration on this device
which indeed will allow you to deactivate every part of it. On the other hand it also allows people
to build much more privacy violent devices also.
As a medal has two sides everything has and so does this device. But think about an automatic
censorship code which automatically blurs out peoples faces when using a camera?
This indeed is possible with modern image processing algorithms.

I'm on the same side as you regarding politics and the misuse of technology but let's be true,
everybody from us has to hide something or did you pay copyright fee for every picture you saw
on google?

Technology isn't our enemy. And if you want to build a Google Glass JAMMER why not helping
to get this thing becoming more popular than the product of Google. This automatically will extinguish
them. I don't want to surpass any huge company, neither am I interested in big money. There are still
people out there which fight against the system.
And why not with their own weapons? They and us, both can use a hammer. It just depends on how
each one uses it. You can just hit everyone on their head and kill them. But how about building a helmet
with the use of a similar hammer to save everyone from the death?
...think about it.

All in all I'm very surprised that I got some response yet, which I never thought would happen so fast and
I'm still waiting for the flood of hater posts (which I wish will never come).

If it keeps like this, the whole wheel soon will start to move Smiley

Thanks so far,
DarkClover
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:17:47 22:17 by DarkClover » Logged

solutions

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 04:42:28 04:42 »

Honey, without my work at 10Gb/s and on DSL, your internet would still be on a 2400 baud modem today.

You are advocating open source. You claim face recognition/blurring...but, the code is open source. So that option will quickly vaporize so feeds can be made to high end compute systems that can ID you just on the shape of your ear.

I am perfectly fine with a one way, downlink of information to a retinal projector. What I abhor is a mobile surveillance platform, complete with GPS and time stamps, recording me and my surroundings, or worse...my kid for some perv to either stalk or worse.

Microsoft bought Skype. Skype frustrated the FBI because it was not wiretappable. Microoft centralized all Skype routing...it's now wiretappable (and guess where the money came from to do this?). Facebook is a honeypot for spying on what people are doing, Google records and tracks every search you do - they even send you annoying emails telling you that someone logged into your account elsewhere on the planet, asking for verification before you are allowed to search or log in while you are traveling...they want to be sure it's you being where your login is. These three companies are pure evil. Copying what they are doing is further proliferating the success of their evil, not bettering society.

I'm all for a information display. I abhor the idea of a camera being on it and streaming video all the time for anybody to watch or process. And we know who will be the first to process the images...oppressive regimes, then democracies.

So, change the scope of your project to display only, no camera, and you won't be evil, or working for evil interests - either intentionally or accidentally
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:45:30 04:45 by solutions » Logged
DarkClover

Thank You

Still alive...

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:37:41 20:37 »

Well yes, I indeed thank you for your contribution to enhance our data transfer rates. 10Gb/s
is a really nice speed which lets me view a number of high bandwidth movies while listening to
my beloved music and transferring huge data amounts. And all that through the same physical
connection.
However, won't that mean that you also enhanced the ability, of all those people you are despising,
to gather those violent data much faster and with more efficiency? This sounds to me like you are
secretly working against your own conviction, or am I wrong?

By talking about transfer rates... The technology you are working on, which was mentioned in the
part of your post which was later removed, isn't by chance a combination of concave fiber optic
veins and combined multiplexing algorithms (WDM, MDM,...)?
And even if it's faster than this, theoretically it's possible to transmit data faster than light without
any multiplexing and compression and just by using available technology. It's just a matter of when.

But back to the original topic...
I never said I want to put one or more of those GPS, camera and other upgrades to the planed glasses
in this project. Here I completely agree with you. What we need to had for is an imaging device which
transports data in form of animated pictures directly to the front of our eyes.

And just that I've said it... I'd rather give the data of my whole life to Google than to Facebook.

Quoting you "Facebook is a honeypot for spying on what people are doing"
This is a fact that makes me proud of myself that I don't own a facebook account,never did since
the birth of that site and never will until it dies.

solutions

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:37:55 15:37 »

Alrighty then....display only

Since I'd get muted for asking for them over in the other section, I think it'd be useful for the interested people to get some of these and post them in this thread. I think a good start is collecting as many papers and related books all into this thread:

>> The Optical Diagnostics and Applications Laboratory at the University of Rochester with partner labs at the University of Central Florida and Armstrong Atlantic University.
>> I.E. Sutherland. “A head-mounted three-dimensional display,” in AFIPS Proc. Fall Joint Computer Conf. 33, 757–64 (1968).
>> D.A. Buralli and G. M. Morris. “Effects of diffraction efficiency on the modulation transfer function of diffractive lenses,” Appl. Opt. 31, 4389-96 (1992).
>> T. Furness. “Virtual Retinal Display,” U.S. Patent 5,467,104 (1995).
>> R. Fisher. “Head-mounted projection display system featuring beam splitter and method of making same,” U.S. Patent 5,572,229 (1996).
>> S. Feiner. “The importance of being mobile: Some social consequences of wearable augmented reality systems,” in Proc. IWAR ‘99 (IEEE and ACM Int. Workshop on Augmented Reality) San Francisco, Calif., U.S.A. 145-8, October 20-21, 1999.
>> S. Yamazaki et al. “Thin wide-field-of-view HMD with free-form-surface prism and applications,” in Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems VI, 3639, SPIE, San Jose, Calif., U.S.A., 453-62, 1999.
>> H. Hua et al. “Design of an ultra-light and compact projection lens,” Appl. Opt. 42(1), 97-107 (2003).
>> A. Yaakov. “Substrate-guided optical beam expander,” Patent U.S. 6,829,095 (2003).
>> Y. Ha and J.P. Rolland. “Compact lens assembly for the teleportal augmented reality system,” U.S. Patent: 6,804,066 B1 (2004).
>> J.P. Rolland et al. “Albertian Errors in Head-Mounted Displays: Choice of Eyepoints Location for a Near or far Field Task Visualization,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 21(6), 901-12 (2004).
>> J.P. Rolland et al. “Development of Head-Mounted Projection Displays for Distributed, Collaborative Augmented Reality Applications,” Presence: SI Immersive Projection Technology 14(5), 528-49 (2005).
>> J.P. Rolland and H. Hua. “Head-mounted displays,” in Encyclopedia of Optical Engineering, R.B. Johnson and R.G. Driggers, eds., Taylor and Francis (2005).
>> O. Cakmakci and J.P. Rolland. “Head-Worn Displays: A Review,” J. Display Technol. 2, 199-216 (2006).
>> O. Cakmakci and J.P. Rolland. “Design and Fabrication of a Dual-Element Off-Axis Near-Eye Optical Magnifier,” Opt. Lett. 32(11), 1363-5 (2007).
>> R. Martins et al. “A mobile head-worn projection display,” Opt. Express 15, 14530-8 (2007).
>> O. Cakmakci et al. “Application of Radial Basis Functions to Shape Description in a Dual-Element Off-Axis Magnifier,” Opt. Lett. 33(11), 1237-9 (2008).
>> O. Cakmakci et al. “Optimal local shape description for rotationally non-symmetric optical surface design and analysis,” Opt. Express 16, 1583-9 (2008).
>> O. Cakmakci et al. “Application of Radial Basis Functions to Shape Description in a Dual-Element Off-Axis Eyewear Display: Field of View Limit,” Journal of the Society of Information Display 16(11), 1089-98 (2008).
>> H. Mukawa et al. “A full color eyewear display using holographic planar waveguides,” In Proceedings of the Society for Information Displays 3901, 89-92 (2008).
>> E. Peli and F. Vargas-Martin. “In-the-spectacle-lens telescopic device,” J. Biomed. Opt. 13(3), 034027 (2008).
>> A.P. Santhanam et al. “A Display Framework for Visualizing Real-time 3D Lung Tumor Radiotherapy,” J. Display Technol., Special Issue on Medical Displays (2008).
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 08:23:53 20:23 »

Solutions take a virtual Mute for asking for more than 3 requests, for papers.
Hey I like the TV program "person of interest"
"You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day.
I know because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything.
Violent crimes involving ordinary people, people like you. Crimes the government considered irrelevant. They wouldn't act, so I decided I would.
But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret.
You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find you".

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 01:52:25 13:52 »

"After a few attempts at personal displays and TV specs, Vuzix may have cracked it with its upcoming augmented reality M100 smart glasses. With a processor equal to any smartphone, the M100 - shown-off at CES 2013 and now with app developers - comes equipped with a Full HD camera, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, a compass, and both microUSB and microSD slots.

Where the M100 differs from Google's Glass is that the eyepiece itself - which has a 480x272 resolution - is not transparent, but fixed. So it's not really augmenting reality, it's adding to it; this is a smart 'second screen'. Available in mid-to-late Summer. "

And the article I pulled this one from also describes several others:http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-devices/other-devices/8-best-augmented-reality-headsets-in-the-world-1145631
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 03:50:53 03:50 »

A tear down of Google Glass is here: http://www.catwig.com/google-glass-teardown/
DarkClover

Thank You

Still alive...

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 10:00:31 10:00 »

That's a huge help when finally knowing the parts of it.
It's quite funny that my thoughts about this device and how it works were almost right.

At the moment I'm observing the developments of other companies in sight
of the Google Glass. However, since I've got some lack of time these days this project
is delayed anyways.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...